Posted April 22, 2014
I love this school . My son is in the third grade and I've had nothing but good experiences. The teachers are involved the principal as well. They work with the kids and they are truly committed to helping them excel in learning. His teachers make sure that I'm aware of everything that goes on with him and they go above and beyond and it's truly appreciated. I would definitely recommend this school.

Posted October 07, 2013
Hidenwood is a great place! Love our daughter's teacher and the resource teachers are awesome! New PTA this year is much more involved and active. Go Huskies!!

Posted October 06, 2013
I am a parent of a kindergartner this year 2013, and was very anxious to send my child to our neighborhood school because I had heard and read negative things about the school online. My experience has been the complete opposite of everything I've heard. The teachers and staff are warm, welcoming, and deeply committed to creating a strong learning community. The student body is diverse, representing a wide cross-section of the families who live and work in Newport News. The principal and assistant principal mr. Hochman and Mrs. Smith are dynamic, involved, and motivating. This school is a neighborhood gem!!!

Posted October 06, 2013
Hidenwood is a really great school. One of the things we love best about Hidenwood is that it feels like a place where everyone knows who you are. The staff and teachers are all wonderful and are really invested in the kids' success. Great school- no idea why the ratings on here are so low! Part of the challenge in the Newport News school system is that kids are still bused in from parts of the city that are relatively far away from the school itself. The Parent Involvement team is really active in getting all parents involved. We love Hidenwood!

Posted August 10, 2013
My daughter attended HIdenwood for the 2012/2013 school year as a kindergartner in Mrs. Powell's class and I was thrilled with her whole experience..Mrs. powell and the wonderful principal Mr. Hochman both called me personally on seperate occasions if there was good news (improved reading test scores for my daughter)or concerns (my daughter did have a rough day which landed her talking to Mr. Hochman about correct behavior,which I appreciated)the staff at the school is always kind and friendly and the children for the most part all look well behaved in hallways,cafeteria,etc there were plenty of opportunities for parents to participate in activities as well..I should add my daughter did not attend any preschool and was nervous about starting school but she loved her first year at Hidenwood,can't say enough good things.

Posted July 07, 2013
This school continues to improve under strong leadership. I notice people don't post comments on here very often and some of the reviews are very old. The school continues to stress rigorous expectations for all students and encourage parent involvement. The atmosphere is welcoming and the staff collaborative.

Posted April 16, 2012
We're big fans of Hidenwood and enjoy the attention our daughter is getting from her teachers, particular Ms. McNichols is very nice.

Hidenwood Elementary School 2

Posted June 18, 2009

Hidenwood Elementary School 3

Posted January 31, 2009
The experience you have at Hidenwood is completely determined by which teachers you are assigned. In one classroom my son's teacher communicated and things went very well. The next year, things went so poorly we left mid-year. Administration did not even ask why. For the money, you can probably find a better program.

Hidenwood Elementary School 0

Posted April 04, 2008
I think Dr. Hill is doing a very good job. I am impressed with her credentials as an educator. She seems to care about the children, the parents and the teachers.

Hidenwood Elementary School
501 Blount Point Rd, Newport News, VA  23606
Last modified Hidenwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hidenwood Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top