Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

The teacher experience at HILTON is "hit and miss". While there are teachers that are caring and considerate there are others who portray biases and do the "bare minimum". With kindergarten, there was absolutely NO communication with parents and when questions/concerns are raised it's swept under the rug. It seems as if you can be told "anything" at any moment just to be given an answer. HILTON is a "neighborhood" school (you'll hear that a lot) which is a plus and minus. The positive, the overall PTA, school and community relationship/participation is amazing. Every event is packed: the school really does receive impeccable support from the community and raises a lot of money that noticeably goes towards books, computers and other items needed at each grade level. The negative HILTON has "practices" and attempts to make their own rules. It's sad, but you really have to pay attention and double check ALL information given with facts on Newport News Public School's website. In addition, pay attention to your child's grades because information can be "mistakenly" added and/or deleted or the scale can be wrong which can negatively impact your child's overall grade.

Both of our sons have gone to Hilton from kindergarten and we couldn't be any more impressed with the teacher/parent collaboration and the positive environment Hilton fosters.

We have a large family and had children at Hilton for 11 consecutive years. We have had a gap and have another child starting in kindergarten next year. We have missed it and are excited to get back. It is definitely one of the best in the area and one of the top tier schools anywhere. The neighborhood, the location, the staff, the parents, and the tradition provide an experience that is hard to match at other schools. It's understated and traditional approach appeal to our family provide a welcome relief from a world that wants to change every 15 seconds.

In general I have been please w Hilton. Everyone I have met, from my Son's Teacher to the principal, staff and school nurse was professional and competent. My son is learning and enjoys going to school. Can't ask for much more then that.

I went there as a child and the teachers were great and now my daughter goes there and she has done very well!

We have two children. Our oldest graduated from Hilton last year and our youngest is still at Hilton. I am a veteran Hilton Mom. Hilton has been a wonderful experience! The staff is always open to suggestions and I have found that they have an open door policy. If you need them, they are more than accomodating! The parental involvement at Hilton is phenominal. The school is the best elementary school in Newport News! My oldest is now in middle school and we have found her to be very well prepared in all subjects. We couldn't be happier! I have run into former Hilton families when I'm out and about and they always say how special Hilton is and that there is no place like it!

We've had a child at this school for 3 years now and have been very happy. The school is the main reason we purchased our house in this neighborhood. Teachers and parents care and there is a great sense of community at Hilton. We think it is the best in the city!

Last modified Hilton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.