Newport News, VA
Students enrolled: 1,145

J.M. Dozier Middle School 4

Posted October 08, 2013
The Teachers at J.M. Dozier are outstanding. They are very interested in the children learning and they make it very interesting in the subjects that they know are needed for the child to succeed. I do not have very much contact with the Principal but the Teachers are on top of assisting the parents in matters that are necessary to solve any issues and concerns. Special Recognition to to Mrs. Marmon, 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher. She really makes History come alive!

Posted January 08, 2012
Dozier is an AMAZING school. I wish we could sit where ever we wanted at lunch and have a little more freedom but overall i enjoyed all of my years here. The teachers are great and always keep you on task and help you with whatever you need whether its personal or about school at the same time. Alot of teachers at Dozier can relate to your problems. There are comments about it lacking socialability and things but it really depends on your own opinion and not anyone elses. If it were mine, i'd say go to Dozier.

J.M. Dozier Middle School 2

Posted January 03, 2012
the school is terrible social wise the kids bully you and throw things at you they also make fun of you the teachers are great and try to help you out in every way that you can but the school socially is very crude rude disrespectful foul language inappropriate talking fight almost every other month and bashing moments in the hallways and i f you dont fit in you just dont there is no way to come back from .

J.M. Dozier Middle School 3

Posted March 04, 2011
Lack of communications between parents and school staff. The over all appreance is also lacking. Looks run down from the out side.

J.M. Dozier Middle School 4

Posted February 25, 2011
We transferred to the area summer of 2010, and my daughter has started her middle school career at Dozier. I am very impressed with the teachers! There are two certified teachers in each classroom, and they show they care. They also maintain discipline and behavior, which is so important to the learning environment. My daughter is thriving academically. The middle school sports program only started two years ago, and considering, they do a fair job. The coaches put in a lot of time and effort; it certainly is not elite athletics, but I'm happy they are incorporating sports into the school as so many kids benefit from the team atmosphere and experience.

Posted May 03, 2010
I love Dozier. The teachers are caring and want all of us to be successful. So does Mrs. Seiders the school principal. Dozier is a great place!

Posted October 12, 2009
I like this school. It has a nice atmosphere, the teachers aren't drill instructors, and the area isn't that bad. Mrs. Seiders is a great principal and the teachers are always ready to help.

Posted August 20, 2009
I love this school I have been going here since 6th grade and im going into 8th the teachers are excellent,they will help you with anything they are awesome!!!

Posted June 23, 2009
I've been going to Dozier for two years and I LOVE it! The teachers on my team at school offer a lot of extra help by staying after school on tuesdays and thursdays and allowing students to come to their classroom during lunch. There are also a lot of extra-curricular activities to keep the students busy. Our principal, Ms. Barnett, shows amazing leadership qualities and I think she has really turned the school around. It'll be sad to see her leave and she will be missed.

J.M. Dozier Middle School 2

Posted May 29, 2009
This was my daughters first year at Dozier, starting the 6th grade and I have to say that I am disappointed in the education my daughter has received. When I called there to voice my concerns about a particular subject and teacher, I feel like my concern were not addressed. I was also told that the 6th graders would not be having SOLs in this subject until 7th grade. Well....come to find out they do, and I don't feel that my daughter will do well at all.

J.M. Dozier Middle School
432 Industrial Park Dr, Newport News, VA  23608
Last modified J.M. Dozier Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J.M. Dozier Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top