Posted April 09, 2014
Have had a problem with bullying at Palmer. My child has gone to the principal and was told he would take care if it. The same bully took my son's sandwich and threw it on the floor. Nothing has happen to this child except the principal told the boy to stay away from my child. That is hard to do because the child is in the same class as mine. Seems as though the principal like to pass on the problems to others (secretaries and/teachers). I am so glad that my child will be going to another school next year!!!!! Very disappointed in the administration.

Posted February 23, 2014
Students are bussed up from the downtown area into this school and other schools in Newport News. Just because your school is in a great area, doesn't mean the quality of the students match. The teachers are great for the most part, but the new administration is lacking. The principal would rather skirt around the problems, then fix them.

L.F. Palmer Elementary School 5

Posted November 29, 2012
I am so pleased with the staff and administration at Palmer Elementary. Class sizes were out of hand at the beginning of the school year. What did they do? Add new teachers to reduce the class sizes. Mr. Black and Mrs. Francis (Principal and Assistant Principal) really care for not just the education of the students, but their well-being. They are in the process of rebuilding the PTA, so hopefully more parents will take an interest and help out. I was a bit concerned reading previous comments posted here, but am so glad that I made the decision to enroll my children at Palmer.

L.F. Palmer Elementary School 0

Posted August 24, 2009
Ms. Brown, new principal, has taken an active approach at trying to improve the school. My son moved from Kiln Creek Elem to Palmer for the Talented and Gifted program. I was concerned because of the ratings and reviews, but Palmer did well for my son. They had quarterly award ceremonies and monthly parent involvement meetings. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of parent involvement, but the school is working in the right direction.

Posted June 03, 2007
Second yr now that the SOL scores were way down,took four months on a child study request,principle seems to have an attitude,class change made big difference in academics,poor communication from first 4th grade teacher and principal. Michele in the office is the only good thing there at Palmer.Child complains that the food is cold at lunch. My child will not be going there next yr.

L.F. Palmer Elementary School 3

Posted May 16, 2007

L.F. Palmer Elementary School 3

Posted May 09, 2007

Posted April 25, 2007
As a parent of a smart 4th grader, I have to state the current issues as of 4-25-07. My husband and I have repeatedly given notes to be contacted my the principal since before spring break. But no call back. There is NO play time outside. Somedays they get 10mins. outside. I think on top of learning the kids need a bit of fresh air as well. The homework given takes my child till bedtime to do. They want the kids to read & math do studying for 30 mins each. Each night. My child gets home at 5pm off the bus. It's a long bus ride because we live next to Hampton. My concerns have not been addressed.

L.F. Palmer Elementary School
100 Palmer Lane, Newport News, VA  23602
Last modified L.F. Palmer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
L.F. Palmer Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top