Lee Hall Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 634 students

Student diversity

Posted June 14, 2014

Lee Hall elementary is an amazing school! I feel very welcomed. The school goes the extra mile to make sure that the needs of all children are met. I appreciate the way the principal runs the school. I think that all parents that are hands on with trying to make sure their child gets the best education would LOVE Lee Hall!

Posted February 22, 2014

My two children his have been going here for two years now and they love it! Their teachers have been awesome and the PTA staff is great. The new principle has been great and is very personable. I think it's great that parents can come and eat with their kids at lunch.

Posted February 15, 2014

I LOVE this school! My kids have been at Lee Hall for a year and a half! The office staff is very helpful and super nice! The teachers are amazing! They are very approachable and willing to help! I LOVE Lee Hall!!!

Posted November 22, 2013

My son attended kindergarten for 9 months in this school. The Special Ed. Lead teacher ignored my emails for a child study for 6 weeks. They are legally supposed to do it with in 60 days of the first request. The 504 Lead of the school district told the teacher that she did not have to follow it every day. My daughter attended kindergarten for a month. While visiting her at lunch I saw teachers holding the children's heads and holding forks up to their mouths and yelling,"Eat it! Or I will call your father!" I posed this to the Assistant Principal once via email and followed up with a phone call a week later because she did not respond. They make the children do "laps" around the playground to discipline them hours after they broke a rule. They also bully the students by writing their names on the board and use tally marks to keep track of their offences. They also yell at their 1st graders to "can their attitudes" and justify the means of correcting behavior as "assertive discipline". I have emailed the Superintendent in regards to this issue and military liaisons have taken the sides of the school employees.

Posted September 17, 2013

This will be my daughter's fourth year attending Magruder. Prior to us moving here, I did reseach on schools in the surrounding areas and then visited a few during different hours of the day to get a feel for them vice just reading about them and the scores but Magruder stood out by far the Best! The staff at the front desk is very friendly and always willing to help. I love the sense of security because no one can just walk in the school. The teachers she's had thus far showed super interest in my child's learing. And the PTA is awesome.

Posted October 23, 2012

My daughter is is 2nd grade and this is her 2nd year here. My son is in Kindergarten as well here at LHES. I have to say the majority of the staff is up to par. I have MAJOR issues with the students here. They run over the teachers and are incredibly harsh. The way they speak to the teacher and other students is completely unacceptable! My Daughter has picked up so many HORRIBLE habits from fellow students who are allowed to curse at the teachers and other kids in class. NOT to mention the physical fighting! And the administration has to keep these kids in my kids class where they are punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school would be an enjoyable place if parents taught there kids how to behave correctly. Or maybe punish them once in a while. I am currently looking into other school alternatives for my kids. This is just not the environment I want my kids nuturing from. The teachers are out numbered and mis treated with no way to fix it. Kids bully others and aren't reprimanded for there choices. There is no consequences for actions!

Posted February 24, 2012

For the most part, the teachers at Lee Hall definitely are dedicated to their students. Yes, we have had some bad apples while attending there, one of which was a nightmare! However I feel you will find a few bad teachers in almost any public school. The office staff, school counselors, and nurse are top notch and truly wonderful, friendly, professional people. The administration however I cannot say much if anything good about. She plays favorites among the children and parents. She speaks ill of her staff and treats them poorly. In the few years she has been at the school we have watched many good teachers leave. I think if they would replace her, things would definitely improve. As for the assistant principals we have had in the last 2 years they have been top notch.

Posted January 3, 2012

An observation: Parents giving Lee Hall a bad rating can't write a sentence without grammar and/or spelling errors. A few posts down someone said parents can't expect the school system to completely educate and raise your child. I couldn t agree more. My family has had a great experience with LHES. Based on personal interaction, the teachers, front office staff, and the nurse have been wonderful to me and my family. Anything lacking at LHES can be traced back to parents with unrealistic expectations of the school system. Some of these kids should be sent to boot camp. They won't learn anything in school until they learn how to act, and their disruptive behavior detracts from the education of the other children. With that being said, this very same issue exists in virtually every school, particularly elementary schools. We ve not come across too many troublemakers in our time here. We ve had our bumps along the road, but it s elementary school and it s silly to think those bumps wouldn t have happened in any other school.

Posted July 24, 2011

My son went here for two years. He fails to learn necessary skills and/or retain them. The teachers at Lee Hall are unprofessional and do not care about their students. He would probably be in remedial classes if he went to a private school or a more "privaledged" one. We had to "re-study" fourth grade lessons that he is supposed to know. A trip to Barnes&Noble was needed. He would be better off working in workbooks than sit through the classes at Lee Hall and not learn anything, so we purchased workbooks. This school is a waste of taxes and should be re-evaluated. He will be in the 5th grade this upcoming Fall. Let us pray that they find better teachers and a better plan for our children and their education.

Posted July 2, 2011

My daughter attended Lee Hall for one year...5th grade. She had attended previous school was also in NN News and struggle with her school work and behavior. I have to say her experience at LHES was her best school year ever. Her teacher was very strict but my daughter said she was fair. And also gave lots of encouragement and helped her learn. She stayed after-school to help not just my daughter but other kids too. She always communicated with me and answered all of my questions. My daughter went from C/D student to being a B/C student. The teacher respected my decision not to put my daughter on medication even though she had extreme ADHD. She had a lot of patience and went above and beyond to help my daughter be accepted by her peers. The teacher posted all of her homework assignments online so I never had any questions. My daughter excelled at Lee Hall because of the wonderful teacher she had. If you have a child going to the 5th grade, you wont go wrong.

Posted March 1, 2011

My son attended school in Lee Hall for a year and a half. The teacher he had in 2nd grade was awful. She would not communicate with me nor would the principal. I sent several e-mails and notes to the staff with no feedback. There saying is " No child left behind" well.. mine was. He was failing and no one let me know till half the school year was over. He excelled in his other schools and was picked to be in the "magnet" program, only to be wait listed. The school was horrible, and his teacher was very unprofessional. There was ALOT of bullying and so many unruly children. I hope they get their act together because since we moved (on purpose to get my child out of that school) my son has brought his grades up to "A's" and his attitude has completely changed. I DO NOT recommend this school to anyone!

Posted January 21, 2011

My son went to Lee Hall from K -5. The teachers were fabulous and my son excelled. Mr. Bradshaw the kindergarten teacher is the best I have ever seen.

Posted May 3, 2010

My daughter is in 3rd grade TAG and this has been the worst year ever. There is a lack of communication with parents. Teachers and principal do not return phone calls or e-mails. They do not care about NNPS nutrition policy. Candy and soda are given to the students. Look forward to a different school next year.

Posted April 28, 2010

My student is in TAG 5 th grade and I feel her teacher does not grade her correctly. I feel her teacher has her favorite students.

Posted February 24, 2010

Quality of academic programs, school focus more on children passing SOL than learning worst experience for me and my family ever! Some teacher were extremely unprofessional we have since change to another school in the district where both my children have excelled.

Posted May 15, 2009

We have a lot of fun at Lee Hall Elementary School! Teachers here are focused not only on providing quality instruction to meet the Standards of Learning, but also to enrich our students in other ways. We have various clubs that meet before or during school, including: Odyssey of the Mind, Chess Club, Cups, Chorus, Art Enrichment, Tech Club, and Book Clubs. Teachers here regularly use technology such as SmartBoards and interactive clickers, and engage students in lessons on creating movies, websites, PowerPoints, and much more! I love teaching at Lee Hall Elementary.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 8, 2009

my student is doing exellent in lee hall elementry. this is the best school my child has ever been in. i see no violent and this school should be in buissnes for a very long time!

Posted July 17, 2008

My experience at this school has been tremendously encouraging. We moved to the area a year ago and the teacher and staff have been great. My child's teacher and I are constantly in dialogue about my child's performance. While I am aware that there are issues of violence I constantly reinforce to my child what is acceptable behavior. I would defintely recommend the school.

Posted July 9, 2008

I do not recommend this school to any parent. Not because of the teachers, but because of the children who attend it. There is little or no parental involvement with education. There are many incidences of violence and foul language. There are many troublemakers at this school. If my daughter would not have been accepted into the magnet program, I would have moved only to put her into a betterr school. She loved scholol until we came here. I feel sorry for the staff. They are so busy tending to troublemakers, they can't tend to the students that are behaving. I hope for everyones sake, that these parents step up and start being more involved with their children. It is a very sad situation.

Posted July 5, 2008

The truth is that this school has many issues to deal with due to the children who attend. It is located in a lower socio-economic area and the students bring their problems to school. Most of the parents depend on the school alone to educate the children and to instill values with no support from home. I think the leadership is strong and the teachers are very hard working. I have never had a bad experience with the teachers and commend them on their efforts. Parents have to be realistic and stop blaming teachers and administration. These people don't go into education for the money-they really strive to make a difference-unlike most of society. Don't let the low rating misguide you about this school. The faculty is great and the test scores are pretty darn good considering the support receieved from home.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

94 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students55%

Students with disabilities25%
Students without disabilities74%
Proficient in English67%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students60%

Not economically disadvantaged62%
Students without disabilities60%
Proficient in English56%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Ms. Kimberly Brock

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

17346 Warwick Blvd