Newport News, VA

Lee Hall Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 29, 2015
I was extremely skeptical about sending my son to Lee Hall. I am a very protective mom and the thought of sending my son to school period was overwhelming. After reading the reviews I had a contingency plan in place in case the reviews were true. THE REVIEWS WERE NOT TRUE! Lee Hall Elementary is a wonderful school! The teachers and staff are incredible and truly care about the children. My son has excelled at Lee Hall. We are a military family and know that our time will be short here. I know that Lee Hall will always hold a special place in our hearts!

Posted January 26, 2015
My family moved because of how awful this school was with my son and I have two more children who were approaching school age and was not going to allow them to step foot in this school. My son was picked on constantly. One day he went to the nurse and vice principals office and I never received a phone call. I contacted Wavy 10 about several issues. When we moved he was behind in his education. It took 6 months to get him up to the reading level he was supposed to be at. I tried to like the school and participate in school functions. I was always appalled at the events. There were carnivals and kids along with parents were so rude and pushy- cutting in lines, taking things without paying. Clearly the apple does not fall far from the tree. I once witnessed a man drive through the play area near the parking lot. The teacher outside acted like she did not see him speed and drive recklessly. I approached him and politely said that he should not have done that. He called me a "B****" and told me to call the cops. Nothing but problems. I could list several other flaws but even typing this I get sick to my stomach thinking about how terrible this school was for my son.

Posted December 10, 2014
We LOVE Lee Hall! Our children are attending their third year here. The staff is amazing! Just walking the halls show how much they care. There are many new staff members that add to the already great atmosphere. The resource team goes beyond the normal "teaching" to allow our children to express themselves! Wether it is in the library where they are free to choose their own interests or music where they get to express themselves through singing and performing. The principal has an open door at all time to stop in and discuss your child and their experiences. We love every aspect of this school! Thank you Lee Hall for being so AWESOME!!!

Lee Hall Elementary School 4

Posted February 22, 2014
My two children his have been going here for two years now and they love it! Their teachers have been awesome and the PTA staff is great. The new principle has been great and is very personable. I think it's great that parents can come and eat with their kids at lunch.

Posted February 15, 2014
I LOVE this school! My kids have been at Lee Hall for a year and a half! The office staff is very helpful and super nice! The teachers are amazing! They are very approachable and willing to help! I LOVE Lee Hall!!!

Posted November 22, 2013
My son attended kindergarten for 9 months in this school. The Special Ed. Lead teacher ignored my emails for a child study for 6 weeks. They are legally supposed to do it with in 60 days of the first request. The 504 Lead of the school district told the teacher that she did not have to follow it every day. My daughter attended kindergarten for a month. While visiting her at lunch I saw teachers holding the children's heads and holding forks up to their mouths and yelling,"Eat it! Or I will call your father!" I posed this to the Assistant Principal once via email and followed up with a phone call a week later because she did not respond. They make the children do "laps" around the playground to discipline them hours after they broke a rule. They also bully the students by writing their names on the board and use tally marks to keep track of their offences. They also yell at their 1st graders to "can their attitudes" and justify the means of correcting behavior as "assertive discipline". I have emailed the Superintendent in regards to this issue and military liaisons have taken the sides of the school employees.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 17, 2013
This will be my daughter's fourth year attending Magruder. Prior to us moving here, I did reseach on schools in the surrounding areas and then visited a few during different hours of the day to get a feel for them vice just reading about them and the scores but Magruder stood out by far the Best! The staff at the front desk is very friendly and always willing to help. I love the sense of security because no one can just walk in the school. The teachers she's had thus far showed super interest in my child's learing. And the PTA is awesome.

Posted April 26, 2013
Everything that has been said below about this school is true and then some. By no means would I send my child to attend school here. BE AWARE. My child has been threatened by a teacher , constant bullying , and craziness going on in the class room. Most of all when Newport News tells you oh this is a great school for kids with sped needs they could not be more wrong. My child has high functioning autism and the autism specialist did not even know he was there and was upset and found that was not supposed to be the case. Do yourself a favor don't send your children to this school. What Principal they have had three different ones that I know of. They cannot keep one.

Posted October 23, 2012
My daughter is is 2nd grade and this is her 2nd year here. My son is in Kindergarten as well here at LHES. I have to say the majority of the staff is up to par. I have MAJOR issues with the students here. They run over the teachers and are incredibly harsh. The way they speak to the teacher and other students is completely unacceptable! My Daughter has picked up so many HORRIBLE habits from fellow students who are allowed to curse at the teachers and other kids in class. NOT to mention the physical fighting! And the administration has to keep these kids in my kids class where they are punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The school would be an enjoyable place if parents taught there kids how to behave correctly. Or maybe punish them once in a while. I am currently looking into other school alternatives for my kids. This is just not the environment I want my kids nuturing from. The teachers are out numbered and mis treated with no way to fix it. Kids bully others and aren't reprimanded for there choices. There is no consequences for actions!
2 people found this helpful

Lee Hall Elementary School 2

Posted February 24, 2012
For the most part, the teachers at Lee Hall definitely are dedicated to their students. Yes, we have had some bad apples while attending there, one of which was a nightmare! However I feel you will find a few bad teachers in almost any public school. The office staff, school counselors, and nurse are top notch and truly wonderful, friendly, professional people. The administration however I cannot say much if anything good about. She plays favorites among the children and parents. She speaks ill of her staff and treats them poorly. In the few years she has been at the school we have watched many good teachers leave. I think if they would replace her, things would definitely improve. As for the assistant principals we have had in the last 2 years they have been top notch.

Lee Hall Elementary School
17346 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA  23603
Last modified Lee Hall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lee Hall Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top