Newport News, VA

Newsome Park Elementary School 2

Posted June 26, 2013
This is a really frustrating school. Though most of the staff is ok it is the administation way or the highway. Teachers are afraid to actually discipline here due to the parents basically running the school, administation trying to appease them and students know it and take advantage of that fact. We come here to teach but cannot do so without support we need. Several have left for this very reason and the ones that stay continue to hope

Newsome Park Elementary School 1

Posted June 22, 2013
This school is racially biased and their low scores prove the mentally of the school. My daughter in law was so glad when school was over and said they would move just to get away from this school

Posted December 16, 2009
As a teacher at Newsome Park, I can state without hesitation that this is a great school with hard-working and caring people. The teachers arrive early and work late to meet the ever-changing needs of a diversified class of students. The building may be old, but the ideas and teaching methods and materials are new and current for today's students. Parents are a regular presence in the building and security is on the premises to ensure a safe and orderly environment. Newsome Park is a school that is meeting the needs of the surrounding communities.

Posted January 18, 2009
I love this school and was surprised to see its Great School rating at a two. I really love this school and think that all the teachers work incredibly hard for the students. There are many resources available for students who are struggling and for parents who may need help outside the school. We were not members of this school before the current principal came on board so I have nothing to compare her to. I will say that I am surprised with it being an math and technology magnet, that they don't spend more time in the computer lab or have greater access to computers in the classroom. That said, I am still thrilled that I chose this school for my kids and love spending volunteer time in the classroom. I wish more parents would volunteer, but I do see good turn out at after school and evening activities.

Newsome Park Elementary School 1

Posted February 02, 2008
This school has gone down hill since Dr. Teston left. Magnet school just doesn't seem to fit any longer. There are a lot of disruptive children and they aren't being dealt with.

Posted December 03, 2007
My child has attended this school from K until now 4th grade. The school has gone down hill since the closing of Briarfield, with much larger classes, and should no longer be considered a 'Magnet School' as it seems a majority of teaching time is spent correcting disruptive students. My child will not attend next year.

Posted August 16, 2007
I am a teacher at this school and really enjoy teaching in my classroom. I love parent involvement, but I do not agree that parents should be volunteering in their own child's classroom on a daily basis.

Posted December 01, 2006
I absolutely love this school. Always met with a smile. Any concerns are addressed and put to ease. The teachers actually *teach* the children. I volunteer in the class and have a wonderful time with the students. I just wish all the teachers welcomed parents in the class. I have two children enrolled. One teacher loves having parents interacting and helping with the class, the other barely communicates. I would definitely recommend Newsome Park.

Posted January 26, 2006
I made the right decision in choosing Newsome Park Elem. School. I can see how my 2 kids transformed into a brighter and futuristic kid. I am amazed with all the things they have learned in school. Newsome Park is a good foundation, it has a quality teacher-students and teacher-parents relationship. All the staff, most specially to the Principal, Dr. Jay Teston, are very approachable and helpful to all the students. I am very proud to be a family of Newsome Park Elementary School. By Mrs. A. Florendo

Posted January 23, 2006
This is school is excellent. Their academic program is great. The teachers are well educated and take their time with each student.

4200 Marshall Ave, Newport News, VA  23607
Last modified Newsome Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Newsome Park Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top