Newport News, VA

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 4

Posted July 20, 2014
I have always enjoyed RO Nelson. I went there and my son is currently attending. Most of the front office staff are polite. The front office can be busy at times to the point it seems like you are getting a cold shoulder. Most of the teachers work hard to get the students on track with their education. I did have to send my son to Sylvan, but that was a personal choice just to make sure he was where he needed to be academically. I am a little nervous because we will be moving to Va Beach for 2014-2015 school year, and I don't know how good their TAG program is. Basically what I am saying is overall Nelson is a great school and we will miss it.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 0

Posted April 04, 2014
R.O. Nelson has the worst administrator ever. She is disrespectful to the staff and is unfair. Nelson deserves a change. I hope the school board moves her for the 2014-2015 school year. Better yet, let her work at a prison.

Posted December 17, 2013
This school SUCKS! I never felt welcome at all. They treat parents like criminals. I have a child with special needs since she's attended here everything that she's learned from her prievous school has dropped. ALL of our hard work, she doesn't even seem to be the same happy little girl. When you walk in the office NO ONE greets you. Their ALL waiting for the next person to greet you. I really dislike having to say this, because i always try to see the good. But I must tell the truth. Very slacked when it comes to homework. The home work they give not even a 14 year old can understand it. I've been praying on it, and I'm taken my child out of here asap.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 5

Posted September 13, 2013
My school is a great place to learn and get family and teacher support. It has rated among the best in the state of Virginia and has a strong PTA.

Posted June 17, 2013
This school is definitely NOT worth its rating. Beware...if your child is not excelling prior to enrolling or gifted they will be lost in the weeds. This school concentrates more on the naturally talented and gifted than helping the kids that truly need it. Thankfully we had the income available to send him to Sylvan Learning for additional one on one tutoring. My son successfully completed the first grade this year, just wish we didn t have to spend additional money for him to do so. Wish they would have helped him succeed and cared about all their students.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 3

Posted June 16, 2011
This school is OK--but after returning from having kids there from 1990-2004, I was most disappointed in the PTA . There is no welcome table, it 's not easy to join and get involved . Made me very sad to see the clique that runs the program there. I never felt very comfortable, and it was something I was so looking forward to. I pray that their PTA will bring back a table and welcome more parents to be an important part of their community.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 0

Posted May 06, 2010
R.O. Nelson is an excellent school. There are a variety of programs to meet the needs of students. The teachers and administrators are outstanding and dedicated.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 2

Posted March 12, 2010
This place is great if you have perfectly average kids, an abundance of patience, and the means to attain aide for your child's special needs outside the school system. Otherwise, be prepared to spend a couple years of your child's education battling for his or her access to necessary resources and diagnostics. And often still not receiving them to everyone's satisfaction. Also, familiarize yourself with all their handbooks and learn the key phrases early. This could save you months of stress waiting for them to come to the same conclusion that only takes you a few days to realize.

Posted December 21, 2009

R.O. Nelson Elementary School 4

Posted November 12, 2009
My son has attended this school both last year and again this year for the TAG program. The teachers and staff are wonderful. From a military family perspective Newport News public schools are very good for handling Gifted and Talented education.

R.O. Nelson Elementary School
826 Moyer Rd, Newport News, VA  23608
Last modified R.O. Nelson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
R.O. Nelson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top