Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The staff was very effective in encouraging students to be friendly towards each other. My child had a concern with one of his classmates because he played rough but once I addressed the issue to his teacher the issue was dealt with and the child became one of my child's bestfriend. The school should not be blamed for children playing rough because I witnessed the staff speak to a child about hitting and called the child's parents for assistance. Parents have to educate, speak to or discipline their children if need be. The school or teachers cannot do that job for them especially with no parental support.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

I do not have any experience with this question but my children's teachers were very understanding of medical concerns. My children were reminded daily to take their asthma inhaler prior to recess so I would imagine that they would give children with learning differences the care and attention required.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The staff were very helpful and answered questions in a professional manner. Staff is very knowledgeable, I never had to speak to the principal because my questions were always answered.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Students are encouraged to be respectful to others.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My children's teachers replied to my emails and communicated with me about different school activities, and were available to answer questions.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Families are encouraged to assist children in doing their homework at home and the teachers reinforced what was learned in school.

Yates elementary school is a very good school. The administrative staff and teachers are wonderful. My children attended the school for one year and made lots of friends prior to our family relocating to the Northern Virginia area (moved to be closer to work, DC). My children currently attend Westridge elementary (rated 8 and above) located in Woodbridge VA which is also near Lake ridge community but I can honestly say that the current rating that Yates elementary receive is unfair because of the care and attention that my children received when they attended the school. Mrs. Woods and Mrs. Werthermeir are outstanding teachers. My only issue was the PTA committee, the women there were "click-ish" and "standoff-ish". If you were not in the click, they would tell you that you can just pay to join but you wont have to do anything or attend meetings (really!!! smh). Testing- my 4th grader (now, in 5th grade) passed and scored very high on the Virginia state exams, thanks to the instructions that the class was given by his teacher- in fact most of the students in class did very well. According to my son the handful of children who didn't pass had to leave the class to take the exam again. Overall, the school is a very good school and I would definitely recommend yates elementary to other parents.

Yates is an excellent school. The teachers are wonderful. They care about the students, and are more like family members. I considered sending my daughter to a local Christian school, but she was happy and had excellent grades and friends at Yates. The state of Virginia is failing this school based on SoL (Standards of Learning) scores. Very unfair and misleading. These scores are skewed based on the failing scores of bused students from poorer areas of Newport News. Other nearby schools score better, because they don't have students bused to their schools.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Yates has wonderful teachers. My daughter spent six years at Yates. She loved five of her teachers, and only had one that she really didn't love, but she respected.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is generally too much homework given in schools today - this isn't strictly within Yates. Work should be done in class, with a short assignment on some nights to reinforce the lessons.

Last modified Richard T. Yates Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.