Newport News, VA

Richard T. Yates Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2013
I love this school. Many of the teachers have worked here throughout their teaching careers. It's a small school so everyone knows everyone. The school will have a new principal this year. I am looking forward to meeting him.

Posted March 01, 2013
I have recently moved from Yates Elementary to Florida. Naturally, I am researching schools on great schools. I don't understand how Yates is a 2 with 70-80% of students passing the SOLs in reading while the schools I am looking at in Florida are 7s and above with only 40-50% of their students passing reading on the FCAT. Parents look to this website to help them make the extremely important decision of what school is best. I am very skeptical as to whether great schools is ranking schools accurately.

Posted February 21, 2012
I am surprised that Yates has only a 4. My granddaughter has attended for two years after being at a school in NoVA. She has blossomed under the tutelage of Ms. Wood, Ms. Zappia, and Ms. Bryant. All of the teachers are very into their jobs. They work with the children at all the levels depending on need of the child. They have many clubs for the children, as well as a wonderful library filled with challenging books for all levels. Ms. Johnson, the principle, is very friendly and strives to challenge the children to do their best. I volunteer 2-3 days a week so I have first hand knowledge of the overall picture of the school and its' employees/teachers. They have many evening programs to recognize the children who prosper. I am glad we have a couple of more years before my granddaughter has to go to middle school.

Posted June 01, 2011
I love Yates. I am extremely surprised at it's low rating. I would highly recommend Yates to any parent. My children have been going to Yates since 2004, and I would not have them go anywhere else. There is a very involved PTA there. The teachers are fabulous, and it's good teachers make a good school.

Richard T. Yates Elementary School 3

Posted January 12, 2010
My child had a really good teacher but we were disappointed by some other aspects at the school, including the front office staff and the principal being overly political.

Richard T. Yates Elementary School 4

Posted May 13, 2004
So far so good, as far as experiences go at Yates. I am involved in what my son's learning and I feel strongly that a parent is the one to reinforce what their child is learning while keeping a very open line of communication with the teacher and office staff. Yates knows me pretty well and they also know that I will be involved in every aspect of my child's school career. I'm excited about sending my almost 5 year old to kindergarten in the fall. I will be equally involved in her daily school activities; because it's my job. The teachers are there to teach to the best of their ability, not babysit and raise the students. Raising the students should come from the parents. Yates Elementary promotes family, which I really appreciate!

Richard T. Yates Elementary School
73 Maxwell Ln, Newport News, VA  23606
Last modified Richard T. Yates Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richard T. Yates Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top