Posted June 03, 2015
This was my son's first year at OLMC and we could not be more pleased with his first school experience. Not only was he safe and in a rigorous academic environment, but we also knew he was loved. We could not ask for anything more and we look forward to more years to come.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 2

Posted February 17, 2015
I really wished I love this school more. I would really like to be more involved, however, I never seem to know what is going on. There is little information on the school's website that is helpful. Even the list of teachers doesn't specify the grade they teach. I have know idea when the home and school board meets because that information is not on the website as well. The carpool is very time consuming. It is difficult to meet any parents or have discussion with teachers at the end of the day. The feeling of family or community, that I wished for just isn't present. There are no after school activities for young children, not even Girls Scouts for first grade, or soccer for preschool. The teachers only conference once a year and there are now written comments on the report cards. Public schools would never get away with that. It is a financial sacrifice for my single income family to seen my children there, just wish my heart wasn't so heavy about it. My husband and I attended Catholic schools for 12 years, this is why we have tolerated this school. I value Catholic education, however, there is much room for improvement at OLMC.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 2

Posted February 12, 2015
Your child will spend half of their lunch time in "silent lunch", school policy. When they go outside for recess (they go outside even when the public schools deem that it is too cold) they must run laps. The teachers and principal will not address your concerns if they do not agree with you. I really don't find the kids to be any nicer or better (something the school and parents lead you to believe) than the kids in public school. I have not found them to be very accepting of the non-Catholics either and that is very sad. We are Catholic and that really bothers me since they like to say that they are a Christian school. It's time for us to move on. Spend a full day or two and see what really goes on during a day. If you decide to go there be sure to go in at different times to see what happens during the day. Class sizes can be large too. If they do not have 30 kids they will not split the classes. They also will not tell you this until the day that you find out who the teacher will be for the year. Oh yeah, by that time you have signed your contract and have either paid for the year or, signed that you will pay the year.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 3

Posted February 10, 2015
OLMC is a good school, if you are Catholic. They are not very inclusive of students of other faiths and seem to go out of their way to exclude students and families who do not attend OLMC (parish). Some of the class sizes are too large for a small private school. The academic program is strong, but technology available to students is in great need of an upgrade.

Posted February 10, 2015
great atmosphere & learning environment in a Christian setting; wonderful teachers, spiritual and moral guidance to go with academic quality. no concerns.

Posted February 10, 2015
Our family has been part of the community of Our Lady of Mount Carmel school for 5 years now. We switched our oldest daughter to OLMC from public school where she was struggling to focus in class and complete her work. The teachers at OLMC helped her stay on track in class and worked with us to make sure she was able to complete her homework. We saw improvement in her grades immediately. Now she's in 6th grade and doing wonderfully. Her sister is in 3rd, and also doing well. Both girls have excelled in math and science and language arts. OLMC is more than just a school. It's an active community where parents, teachers, staff and students all work together. I think the emphasis on service is great. Families volunteer at the school to help with school events throughout the year, and I think that sets a great example for our kids. I cannot recommend OLMC enough. This has been the best school for our children!

Posted February 10, 2015
We are a military family who have moved MANY times and have had our four children in numerous Catholic schools across the nation. OLMC is,in our opinion, the very best of all the elementary/middle schools our children have attended. The Dominican Sisters, faculty, staff, and family community cannot be matched. The academic curriculum has helped our children grow intellectually and achieve numerous goals at not only this educational level, but also in high school, and college. Their time at OLMC certainly provided a solid foundation for them academically, and most importantly of all, it helped them to grow spiritually. The strong Catholic identity of this school is a most welcome facet of their education particularly in these morally precarious times in which we live. Choose OLMC and you will be blessed in so many ways!

Posted February 09, 2015
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel school has taught my children so much more than just a wonderful education- they have learned to be kind, caring and expressive individuals. Each teacher cares individually about each child and allows the child to grow mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Posted February 09, 2015
Our Lady of Mount Carmel School is phenomenal-helping each student discover their talents and abilities both inside and outside of the classroom. Students are supported and encouraged to stretch themselves navigating their way through their educational journey while exploring the numerous possibilities available to them. The OLMC School faculty and staff are caring and nurturing, happy, qualified, and competent professionals who join the families and students during the learning process. The OLMC campus is welcoming and safe a tremendous environment to engage each type of learner from Pre-K 3 through 8th grade. The confidence and leadership skills my children have gained are priceless!

Posted February 09, 2015
We love this school. Small class sizes, a focus on whole child development, spiritual development and special classes offered to children starting in Pre-K are just a few of the great things OLMC has to offer.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel
52 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA  23601
Last modified Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top