Newport News, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted December 16, 2014
New to this school, non catholic. Love the advanced school work. Diverse culture, warm and accepting to all. Great school to send your kids. Staff and students a joy.

Posted August 29, 2013
My kids love this school!!! Best school ever!!!! I have one child in first grade and another in Pre-K. The staff is really good and will go out of their way to help you and your children. This school promotes success for its students which is something that should be admired... especially in Newport News.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 4

Posted March 08, 2013
OLMC School has really caring teachers who are also very talented. In a recent contest across the HR area seven of the top 20 teachers were from OLMC. It is just a high quality education.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 1

Posted January 26, 2013
Very surprised to find a former 2009 blue ribbon school with a noted resource program so different now. Resource program a sham! School is under Arch Diocese review and may soon be under DOJ scrutiny to enforce the American's with Disabilities Act.

Posted January 24, 2013
Wonderful school! My daughter is in her 2nd year there and I love the staff and sense of family that the school provides. There is NO COMPARISON to public schools in Newport News- even BC Charles and Gildersleeve don't compare- which my older children attended.

Posted January 17, 2013
We are a new family this year, and could not be more pleased. My son in middle school is having great success with being a gifted child there. The school has continued to encourage and find ways to keep him challenged. The lower school has been a success story as well, the teachers make very good use of classroom time so homework is not filled with busy work, just reinforcement of concepts all ready taught. We really are enjoying the school, very refreshing.

Posted April 04, 2012
OLMC is a wonderful school filled with extraordinary teachers and students. Our child has gone there since kindergarten and to show you how much we love it, we live in Williamsburg and commute there everyday!! The feeling of community is very strong and academically we couldn't ask for more.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 2

Posted April 04, 2012
Initially we were very happy with OLMC. After a year, however, we are seeing some major flaws which will be making our decision to leave much easier. The school offers very little technology education. My daughter has learned more about using computers from just playing at home than what she will ever get at school. For a small private school, the class sizes are HUGE which makes individualized attention impossible. Also, the discipline code is very strict, especially at the lower grade levels. My child has a discipline report almost every day for very minor infractions, yet has been essentially bullied by other students and I have seen no evidence of anything being done in this situation. And, now with our new contracts, every family is required to work bingo. I have worked bingo and know that it is terrible. The players are rude and the level of smokiness in the room makes it very difficult for those with asthma to breathe. It's sad that the public school alternatives are worse than this.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel 3

Posted March 28, 2012
My child has been at OLMC for four years. We are strongly considering going to another school next year. The physical plant leaves a lot to be desired. My child has had very little computer learning compared to other schools that his brothers have attended (also Catholic). He has had 2 out of 4 great years with outstanding teachers-sadly, this year is not one of them. The classes are large, with very little personal attention. I believe my bright child is bored, and the school does not seem to be able to accommodate many different levels of intellect.. And , the last straw was the school contract this year. We registered two months ago, which requires a fee. This month's final contract had a big surprise-forced bingo attendance Monday nights for an unspecified number of times next year, with a 200 dollar fine for missing your night. We have been pleased with the religious education, and the large religious presence at the school-there are 4 Dominican nuns at this school, which is rare these days.

Posted March 27, 2012
I am new to OLMC, and am very pleased with my daughter's academic and religious education, and most importantly the overall tone set by the teachers and the principal. The environment is nuturing while encouraging children to challenge themselves and explore the world around them. Sister Dominic is hands on and genuinely cares about the students and their families. My child loves her teacher and the students readily welcomed her from the start. We are so glad that we came to OLMC.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel
52 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA  23601
Last modified Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top