No rating

Denbigh Christian Academy

Private | PK-8 | 107 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Newport News

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 30, 2014

I have had two children go though Denbigh Christian Academy. The A Beka curriculum is a great foundation for the children. They staff is dedicated and supportive to the children and parents. Great School.

Posted January 23, 2014

My child is in K-4 and is progressing very well. Her penmanship is advanced. She is already reading one syllable words and using blends to sound out harder words . Her teacher gives REAL homework and sets the bar high. Great, nurturing environment- Racially diverse- Yes, there are fundraisers but not too many-

Posted March 15, 2012

An update to my August 15th, 2011 review. I already pay a great deal of money to this school but it seems like we are selling something all the time. The majority of the time it's frozen cookie dough. Does Denbigh Christian not understand that there is a childhood obesity issue in America today. Why are we selling cookies?

Posted March 24, 2010

I don't see God reflected in this school. I mean yes God is mention in this school, but I don't see God in this place when it comes to action. The children are not taught to reflect Gods heart or walk according to Gods will, more like what ever you want God to be not what Gods word say we should be and do. It's all about the money. and if they are honest they would say so.

Posted November 7, 2009

The Staff, and the children. My daughter has been going to DCA from the very beginning and is now a 5th grader, and the difference from my youngest and my two older children is so visibly different. My oldest girls went thru the public school system, and they did not receive the quality education as my youngest has, and my oldest girls are more secular compared to my youngest. She loves school and she Loves the Lord, and the best thing about it is it show, there is a visibly large difference in the childern. And the staff at DCA are so dedicated to reaching the children at DCA, ALL of them. Although they do not get paid no where near what the Public school system pays, they are so dedicated to teaching our children that I would not be able to say all the great things about them. Peronally, They (the staff) needs to be blessed beyond measures for the Love and dedication they show all the children. God Bless them, God Bless, the children, God Bless DCA.

Posted March 24, 2009

My son was writing cursive at 5 years old and is currently 12 in tag and acing all his classes in Government School. The ABEKA curriculum goes against the NEA mindset so they are adamantly against it. (See previous post) They are not comfortable with children excelling outside of their sphere of influence (job security). It gives your kids a great start even if you have them there for a couple of years. Mr. Rush maintains a wonderful, motivated learning environment. I only wish I left my kids in this school.

Posted August 14, 2007

My children have attended this school for over a year. I have one in pre-K and one in K and I find the curriculum to be excellent and it far outpaces the NN public schools. DCA's focus on Christian principles is seen throughout the campus. Albeit, my one peeve is that I wish they offered hot breakfasts and less sugary snacks.

Posted August 2, 2007

I have two children currently enrolled at this school. Overall this is a good school but in the earlier grades repeat a lot of the core contents, such as phonics. Because it is a private school, it does not accomodate for children who need to move at a higher pace. The principles are very supported and the children learn daily about God. My children love the school and look forward to going back this fall.

Posted November 16, 2005

Many parents have expressed a concern about the cursive writing overshadowing the print in the Abeka curriculum at DCA. My children are still not able to print correctly because of the jump directly to cursive writing. If you choose this curriculum, you will need to make sure you keep with the SOL that are taught in public school as well as printing. Discipline is a strong area at DCA.

Posted February 25, 2004

This school is great! I have 3 children that currently attend this school, and not only do they get the academic learning style, but they also get taught the word of God. My children love attending this school, and I am proud that they can be a part of such an outstanding school.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Arts & music

• Art room

Health & athletics

• Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Church of god
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • None

Staff resources available to students
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Art room
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

Performing arts
Media arts

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1233 Shields Road