No rating

Denbigh Baptist Christian School

Private | K-12 | 281 students

Student diversity

Living in Newport News

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $170,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted October 9, 2008

My child had attended DBCS since Kindergarten.At first we thought it was a great school untill your child does not make all a's and b's.Then they want to label your child and say they have something wrong with them and when you take your child to a professional they say the school is making false accusations which I assume is a way to get more money since its not very well funded.The elementary students get hardly any science background in the lower grades they get unneccesary 'Health' instead of the earth science that public school children get.If you want your child to be sheltered this is a great place.If not do what I did this year and move on!!

Posted June 19, 2008

I've read through the many reviews on DBCS and I feel I should add my two cents. I'm a parent and for 3 years have also been an employee as well as having been on the PTF board for 7 or 8 years. Parents have always been welcome and encouraged to be involved. Anywhere you go there are going to be teachers you like and others you don't, we are not exclusive in that aspect. As a private school, we are not set up to help children with learning disabilities of any kind which is stated plainly in our student handbook and other literature. While the dress code can be confusing and sometimes irritating, I would rather worry about that than my child getting shot or propositioned at school. (It's all relative). As far as academics, a child that is intelligent and wishes to learn can and will excel.

Posted June 5, 2008

The middle school at DBCS really has some problems. Extended teacher absences, disorganization and apathy make it way more difficult than necessary, especially at a time of life when kids are dealing with attention and behavior challenges. I got no encouragement or support when it came to getting immediate feedback on how my child was doing - asking for a status from teachers is treated as an irritation when it's the thing that that parents of middle schoolers need most and often! Discipline often reflects the personal beliefs of the teacher rather than what is defined in the school handbook, and can be rigidly judgmental. I don't know what to do about next year, because I don't think the administration or the school board is open to making the personnel changes that should happen. I encourage parents of prospective students to ask a lot of questions to every teacher

Posted April 23, 2008

The administration is uncaring and unforgiving especially to those children with learning disabilities. The dress code is impossible to follow and most of the rules are ridiculous. The classes are not very challenging for those who need to be challenged and difficult for those who need If I wasn't moving, I would leave this school this summer.help since they don't usually recieve it.

Posted September 1, 2007

My child attened for two years and we are switiching to Orcutt Baptist School this year. We have heard and read good things about that school. There seems to be a huge problem with administration at DBS and the teachers are mediocre at best. The kids are crammed into small little classrooms and their is very little movement for the younger kids. We are hoping for a better school year this year and I still wish DB the best.

Posted June 4, 2007

My child attended DBCS last year but will attend somewhere else next year. Middle school math and english are goot, but middle school science is a big problem there. My child, who is an excellent student, struggled in science no academic help or encouragement was available. DBCS's tuition is inexpensive, it is probably the lowest in the Pennisula for private school, but in my opinion they need to raise it, pay the good teachers more, and get rid of the unmotivated ones.

Posted May 17, 2007

More parent involvement is definitely needed. Middle School Science curriculum needs to be evaluated--quick feedback is important and not provided--apparently alot of problems per parent conversations.

Posted April 24, 2007

My child attends the school and is very smart but is not getting the help needed to be anything other than mediocre! The grades suffer and no one wants to help them, they get pushed aside and left to fend for themselves. If you find another school then please post it so we can check it out as well. I am tired of my child struggling and feeling dumb because no one will help unless of course you have them put under a label and then they can get extra time and less work, but what kind of help is that? Things are not good right now here and finding a new school for next year is on the books.

Posted April 16, 2007

I am a current student at dbcs and I am looking for a new school to attend. Issues there are swept under the rug. They dont want to handle a situation thats too difficult or one they've never experienced so they simply make excuses and subtly ignore it. At first the school seemed fine and then I began to notice things that simply caught me off guard. I know being in a christian school cant change or fix worldly issues, but I was amazed at what I heard and experienced. To automatically think that all kids who go to a christian school are better children is an ignorant assumption. The christian influence is there, but just because it is there does not mean that each child is listening and taking it to heart.

Posted March 24, 2007

This used to be great school! The administration is very poor now however, and staff morale is very low. Turnover is very high. There is alot of discord in the school right now. There is very little help for a child who is having difficulty other than for them to tell you to work more with your child at home. I am looking now for a school to give me more guidance and support.

Posted February 13, 2007

My child was enrolled in DBCS last year, and moved to another school this year. DBCS's advantage is the Christian curriculum, which you simply cannot find at a public school. They do a good job of running a middle/high school sports program. The budget prohibits most programs you would find in a public or larger school. There is no band, drama, or many clubs, so if your child excels in these areas, they have to be done on the weekends or summer. There are some good teachers at DBCS. Unfortunately, probably also because of budgetary contraints, the school has a high tolerance for mediocre teachers. For an incompetent teacher to be 'not rehired' for the next year there has to be a massive outcry from parents. Mediocre teachers that get steady but not concentrated complaints remain year after year, even though they could become good teachers if held accountable by the school board.

Posted October 27, 2006

I have several children at DBCS, Elementary, Middle & High School. Some struggle, some excel, the support by teachers and staff is there for all. Parental involvement is invited and encouraged. Yes I sometimes complain about dress code enforcement or lack there of, parking lot woes, and 'rules' that inconvenience me. The bottom line is this; they love, nurture, and teach my kids according to Biblical principles. The school is the best available for my children. Thank you Lord, thank you all at DBCS.

Posted October 13, 2006

I'm not a parent, but I was a student at Denbigh Baptist for three years. In those three years I learned so many new, interesting, and beneficial things. The people for the most part are so friendly. I made a great deal of life long friends, that I miss everyday. The teachers show compassion and kindness. This school is defintely a top pick of mine, and should be for many students. I never thought I'd be so close to God or feel as comfortable as I did when I was attending Denbigh Baptist.

Posted August 11, 2005

I was a student of Denbigh Baptist Christian School. I know who wrote the things below this review.I really enjoyed goign to dbcs and would love to go back. I am now going to Grafton Highschool because of other reasons i would not mention. To every person that reads this now and in the near future, DBCS was a great school. I learned alot. So, in saying that Thank you, Mrs.Carey, Mrs. Patton, Mrs. Jones, Mr. Hertzog, Mrs. Poplin, Mrs. Ruge, Mr. Mull, and all the other teachers who put up with me for three years. I really enjoyed being here and will come back to see every one. I will be praying for the school and tell other kids here at Grafton about this WONDERFUL school. Thank you and God Bless.

Posted April 22, 2005

I know kids that pay their own way to go to DBCS because it is such a great school. They realize that they will recieve a better education if they attend DBCS rather than a public school. Our average SAT scores, the percentage of students attending college, and the numbers of National Merit Scholarship Semi-finalists are much more than an average public school! They only offer 1 AP class, but most colleges realize how hard working our students are, and will pick a student from DBCS over a student from public school. I am attending one of the best universities in the nation, and I would not have this opportunity if I had gone to a public school. Everyone that graduated from DBCS and is attending college now, agrees that DBCS really does prepare you for college! As for views being narrowminded, this is a christian school, of course they are!

Posted March 20, 2005

I'm a current student at DBCS and if I could do it over again i would go to a public school. It's not that you don't get a good education it's that the students and teachers there are very narrow-minded and if you are not like them they are quick to look down upon you. If you don't share their same views I suggest you never let any of them know.

Posted March 6, 2005

I am not a parent, however I am a student that attends DBCS. My name and grade will remain anonymous. DBCS is the worst institution of learning, if you want to call it that, that I have ever experienced. Instead of focusing on the things that Christians should be concerned about, the staff is caught up on neo conservative principles, and superficial outward appearances, that really shouldnt make a lick of difference to any practical person, or Christian for that matter. The males are constantly cracked down upon for their hair being 'too long' (Touching the ears) and the their shirts tails not being tucked in, when girls constantly show mid-riff and wear pants much too tight. This is not a school, by any means for anyone who wants to enhance their spiritual or acedemic life. The parental involvement, or the lack there of, is unheard of. Two Words. Public School.

Posted January 12, 2005

2004 a new administrator was hired, many teachers left, new teachers hired. Current staff morale is low, perhaps due to low pay, but teachers who left were low paid. Perhaps morale is a result of the new administrator and his new direction. Priorities are not uniform, much time is spent off task, and direction appears to come from a single source without consultation with the once dedicated staff. There also is no consultation with parents. Teachers cannot meet minimal needs of the students; they have no desire to devote any additional effort. This is not a school for any child seeking to advance his academics, however, should you be looking for a militaristic atmosphere, where no parental involvement in the upbringing of your child is required, or desired, this is the place for you. Due to this chosen direction, my children will be better served by our local public school.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Wayne Embry
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious