Posted September 12, 2014
The students are out off control and the school administration doesn't care. They refuse to do anything out of fear of upsetting certain parents. They behave worse than public school kids. I imagine jail is in quite a few futures for the young graduates. Also, the educational standards her are a complete joke. Even a rock could get straight A's here. If you care about your children then don't send them here.

Posted April 25, 2014
Great school! My son is in 1st grade and has some attitude issues,they work with him and help him focus,he has straight A's and is doing awesome,he likes the school and will send him back. Next year.

Posted May 09, 2013
DBCS is a school where the Faculty and Staff all are there to assist the children both in achieving academic excellence but and spiritual success. I am proud to have my children in a school that has teaches these values and would recommend this school to any parents looking to have their children achieve academic excellence with Christian Values at the same time.

Posted August 29, 2012
DBCS is very consistent about discipline. When a rule is broken, the student gets a demerit. Unless their parent works for the school or attends the church. If an athlete fails a class they are removed from their sports team. Unless the team is losing and they are a star player, or their parent works for the school, goes to the church, or complains enough. All faculty, volunteers and coaches have to sign a statement of faith. Unless the school can't find anyone else to volunteer, or they really need to win next year at the Metro conference, then they don't bother with that. All kids are treated and accepted the same. Unless they are different, new, or transferred in from public school.

Posted October 10, 2011
My daughter loved DBCS. She is a recent graduate. We found the course work to be very challenging. She graduated with 8 college credits via the school's dual enrollment partnership with a local college (I believe a student can graduate with 12 dual enrollment credits and they can also earn additional college credit through the Advance Placement courses). My daughter enjoyed the athletic side of student life more, but I was always very impressed with the quality of the school's music, art, and drama departments. This school might not be the best fit for everyone, but my daughter was challenged both academically and spiritually. She felt safe she felt loved the faculty and coaching staff were very involved in her life.

Denbigh Baptist Christian School 4

Posted September 23, 2011
Please note that a lot of the bad reviews are from 08 and 09. Now, there is a new administrator and many changes for the good. There will never be a perfect school but the teachers and the staff care deeply about the children in their classes. My child graduated from DBCS and loved every minute of it. She felt safe, loved and always found help if she struggled in any classes. It is true, there is no special ed program for lack of funds. But this is clearly stated and understood. Children have many options on extracurricular activities and are supported by coaches and teachers alike. There are many opportunities to grow spiritually. Chapels are now handled by our new Pastor of Student Ministries who works with the youth both in the church and the school.. There are many interesting speakers and a couple of weeks of spiritual emphasis to challenge students thinking and beliefs. I would highly recommend DBCS to other families and students.

Posted June 24, 2011
I have been at DBCS for a few years. I have not found the school to be challenging, even though the grade scale is high the work is pretty easy. This year has been the worst as far as the way people treat each other. Bad language in the halls almost every day from everyone, people wait until there aren t any teachers around, gossiping is really terrible, the minute someone turns around everyone else starts talking about them. Then everyone just repeats everything that was said to the person and there is so much jealousy and hurt feelings and no reason for it. The parents are evern worse and there kids come to school and repeat everything they say! Some kids do whatever they want, lying constantly, even hitting and slapping people, sneaking out at lunch, they don t even regard the rules and the teachers see it and ignore it, others get demerits for every little thing, it seems to depend on who you know or if you came there because you are really good at a certain sport. No effort gets put into chapel, no impact on the way people act. I would love to go to a different school but my parents can t afford any other school in the area.

Denbigh Baptist Christian School 4

Posted April 13, 2011
I went to DBCS for nine years (1st-8th, 12th). I tried public school from 9th-11th grade and it wasn't for me. I eventually decided to return to DBCS to graduate with my old friends. If you are considering Denbigh Bapist, please know that in middle school you will probably experience less educational prowess than if you are enrolled in public school. This is what prompted me to try public school; however the accelerated learning did not outweigh the comradery and spiritual direction my life was in need of. I excelled in the athletic program which is often how people are categorized in the school. Most people in the school play some sort of sport, so if you do not participate in sports you will probably not like DBCS as much as I did. Once you get to high school, teachers are more apt to developing a bond with their students. The one year I spent in high school at DBCS prepared me for college and I owe a lot to the great staff, namely Mr. Cass and Emperor Haggerty for being our class sponsors, excellent teachers, and great friends. I would also like to thank Col Hoxie and Mr. Hoxie for being great athletic coaches as they not only molded me athletically, but spiritually as well.

Posted December 01, 2010
My teenaged son was becoming hardened and was failing academically in public school. He came to DBCS his junior year. I honestly credit the staff and student body for providing an environment in which he could thrive academically, socially, and, especially, spiritually. I believe this school rescued my "at risk" kid! Highly recommend it!

Posted August 02, 2010
Karma is a booger and GOD gotcha for the injustices you have done by taking money and not teaching the students. Enrollment is drastically down,staff are being fired,programs cut out...wow!! Perhaps next time your students need that extra helping hand you will extend a hand back instead of turning your backs on them. The Lord works in mysterious ways and after the past years I firmly believe in Karma...

Denbigh Baptist Christian School
13010 Mitchell Point Road, Newport News, VA  23602
Last modified Denbigh Baptist Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Denbigh Baptist Christian School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 47 reviews.