Newport News, VA

Mary Passage Middle School 2

Posted March 08, 2014
My children attended Passage Middle School. If not for the fact that my son and daughter had a wonderful, caring English teacher Ms. Rodriques, I would have pulled them out of there immediately. Unfortunately, she has left (all the good ones do) and my youngest is about to start at this school. I do not recommend this school to any parents who are able to send their child elsewhere. Most of the teachers do not know what they are teaching and they scream all of the time. Parents need to be more involved.

Posted June 22, 2013
Principal has no idea what is going on in this school. Some of the staff has really pulled the wool over her eyes and she is not smart enought to figure it out.Their speical needs classroom is a joke. The staff does not seem to know what they are doing.

Posted May 02, 2013
This school is really out of control. Some nice kids there but the teachers are constantly yelling and there are at least 2 fights a week here. Maybe more. It is hard to concentrate with all the bad kids in class. I had a hard time making friends there but I guess the experience is different for everyone.

Mary Passage Middle School 4

Posted April 11, 2013
Our daughter has attended Mary Passage MS since the 6th gd. & we've actually enjoyed it. Sure there's a handful of bad kids, but our daughter does not fraternize with them & really, what school doesn't have some "problem" students. The Principal & the assist. principal are very involved with the students. The main office staff is probably the only real complaint. I loathe having to go in there & having to deal with such rude folks & at times being ignored. So I just don't give any reason to submit myself to that environment. Otherwise, really good school & we plan on having our younger daughter attend in a couple yrs.

Posted March 31, 2013
Horrible school filled with teachers whopass the buck. No one is accountable and there is 0 communication. The office staff is rude and the guidance counselors never have answers. Even the teachers here cant speak and spell so how are they supposed to teach my child! This is the worst school I have ever encountered and am moving my child to a magnet school ASAP!

Posted April 30, 2012
We have moved around all over the United States with my husband being in the military. This is by far the absolute worst school we have ever encountered. Amazingly, I haven't found one parent here that likes this school and feels that their children are being properly instructed. My husband is constantly having to go over my child's algebra lessons with her because the teacher doesn't know how to teach the material. There are at least 3 security guards at this school and the teachers can't control their classes. I have never seen so many teachers at one school with such a "don't care" attitude about the students. I am so glad my child only has a few more weeks at this school and we can move on. I think the district would be wise to clean house at this school and start all over in the fall with a new staff.

Posted March 22, 2012
This school is absolutely horrible. My son started out at a magnet school but we transferred him because of the distance. He has been as Passage for a few months now and he is severely depressed. I have received numerous calls from teachers informing me of his depression. The teachers and principals allow bullying by not giving any consequences. Even some of the teachers bully the students. Unacceptable. I am working to get my son out of here a.s.a.p.

Mary Passage Middle School 3

Posted February 17, 2012
Teachers need to be teachers and not friends. Do not curse in front of the children, do not call the children names, and stay off of Facebook while you are suppose to be teaching a class. Teachers complain that they want to get paid more ... well deserve it ....

Mary Passage Middle School 4

Posted May 04, 2010
The kids at this school don't know how to act right and need more discipline. They make fun of everyone just because they don't listen to the same music other people listen to, or they don't dress the same and can't do things others do. Overall this school is great, and the teachers are very nice.

Mary Passage Middle School 5

Posted February 18, 2010
passage middle is the best school ever . the teachers are wonderful the band is great i love it.

Mary Passage Middle School
400 Atkinson Way, Newport News, VA  23608
Last modified Mary Passage Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Passage Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top