Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The staff primarily in the main office and the secretary in the guidance office are bitter and cold. They treat the students like they are prisoners in the way they talk to them and their body language. I was in the main office talking to a student and they told me I wasn't allowed to talk to the students. The poor girl was in tears. Another student wanted to call his mom and the dean took the phone away and wouldn't let him because she was going to call and explain what happened first. My child who had a 504 was suspended for behaving impulsively but they had not reviewed or updated his 504 since we moved here a year and a half ago. And that was after they made him sit at the isolation table one and a half lunch periods. The bathroom doors don't have locks and they won't dare let you walk further than the office. The nurse called because my son was sick and I asked to speak with him and she said she had to put me on speaker phone. You can try and talk to the principal but she don't care.

There isn't enough room here to explain bit please join Azalea Gardens Parents on Facebook if you have a child that goes here.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

There might as well not be teachers here. Very few actually put forth the effort to teach but the majority should not be teachers any more.

Amount of homework: no rating

It varies from night to night. It just enough to keep them busy without overwhelming them

Develops character: Strongly disagree

90% of the teachers do not care anymore what happens to the students. If there is an issue between students, nothing is done to resolve it.

I have a 6th and 8th grader. Both have had a horrible experience at this school. While we have a few good teachers, they are few and far between. Most teachers unfortunately do not care or are unprepared to handle such large class sizes. There are not enough supplies or even books to accommodate the students. And if your child gets bullied or has issues with another student, the principal especially is NO help. I will be pulling my kids from this school at the end of the year because they are not getting any kind of education here and it is affecting their mental health dealing with this environment.

My son has attended this middle school for 2 years and I would have to say that it's the worse school by far I have ever encountered. This year he is in the 8th grade and the bullying has been non stop. He's always being punched or hit with books. He was jumped during school in the hallway. Some kids were trying to steal his shoes. Nothing has ever been done. I have to no avail fought against this. The dean of students Mrs. Cotton is terrible, I can never reach her. The few times I have spoken with her made no difference. She does nothing at all. The only thing she did was chastise my child for standing up for another student that was being bullied. Don't send your child to this school if you do not want he or she to bullied.

My daughter is a new student at Azalea Gardens Middle School. I did not know what to expect after reading about Lafayette Winona closing and more students arriving. My daughter said that there are over 42 other students in her science class. Her math and social studies classes are also large; however, she has a very small reading and writing class. This is unacceptable. How does the principal expect the teacher to handle 40+ students and teach them what they need to learn. I am also concerned about the condition of the school; my daughter said that they have trashcans to catch the rain on rainy days, and the girls restroom doesn't have toilet paper, soap, or towels. On a positive note, the teacher seem wonderful and well prepared; I went to open house, and all teachers seem willing to assist whenever needed. They had beautifully decorated classroom and thought out presentations. My daughter loves all of her teachers including her science teacher who struggles with more that 40 children.

The roof and windows leak, the bathrooms are in poor condition and not supplied well, there is mold and mildew everywhere and the technology does not work well. The teachers are caring and hard working. I personally come in early, stay late, come in on Saturday, and tutor for free. We feel powerless to maintain discipline because administration worries more about offending the parents of one student than considering the needs of all the other children in the class. The deans ignore conduct notices and referrals. The principal makes promises to students and does not follow through (trip to Busch Gardens). She once told us that she could do without the teachers, but she NEEDED her office manager. Special education students do not receive accommodations because co-teachers spend more time coming late to class, attending meetings, and testing than helping students in the class. The security guards and resource officer spend most of their time sitting around the nurses office or texting and playing games on their cell phones. I hit my emergency button and no one came. A student was sent back to my room who had just vomited in the trashcan because "no one could pick her up."

My child's school is Azalea Gardens Middle School. I appreciate my child's teachers, they are very involved with her. They are just as concerned about her as I am. Unfortunately when it comes to help with bullying, the school is not so great. I called the office an hour ago and no one has returned my call. I let the secretary know that my child has been kicked and that another student put kick me signs on her and she said well i'll just give you the deans voice mail. We are not dealing with normal children. There is also another girl that bullies my daughter, I went to her parents house this morning and her grandfather could care less. I guess i'll just have to call the news or the police. After everything we've seen on tv about bullying, and young children taking their lives because others make it unbearable. Some people just don't care, i'm not one of those Moms who just says ignore it, because I know if she does it won't stop. I was bullied too as a child and guess what all those bullies now have very dissatisfying lives. I hope this school realizes that bullying doesn't discriminate against anyone and that it is a problem that needs to corrected & addressed.

Last modified Azalea Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.