Norfolk, VA

Camp Allen Elementary School 2

Posted March 19, 2015
First couple years the school was great, past couple years though it has changed. The office staff and principal do not greet people and look annoyed as if you are bothering them when you come into their office for any matter. They have been very rude at times, and brush people off. They are late sending paper work home for any upcoming announcements. For example, we did not receive information about the school adding minutes after school for making up the snow days. We got the paper the second day this went into effect. Some of the teachers have been helpful, but others have no time to even bother communicating with you about your child's education. They communicate when it is too late and your child is behind. I have seen a teacher belittling a child, telling the student to let her hold his hand like a three year old. This child was at least in the first or second grade. That is not a way to talk to the students. Some of their subjects have not even met accreditation. They do minimal work around here, other public schools nearby are more advanced. Hopefully they structure their staff, and become a better learning environment. The students deserve better!

Camp Allen Elementary School 2

Posted June 02, 2014
My child attended this school in the 1st and 2nd grade and after two years I had reached my limit with this school. The PTA is extremely cliquey and childish. Also, if your child has any sort of learning disability, even with the proper paperwork and taking the necessary steps, it is near impossible to get anything done at this school. As a result we decided to homeschool our child.

Camp Allen Elementary School 4

Posted October 10, 2013
My experience at Camp Allen has been wonderful. The staff has always been very friendly and nice. I have been at the school on different occasions and have never seen any staff member being mean to any students. The principal has been nothing but great to my family and other families that I have spoken with. The PTA has encouraged all parents to be involved they are there for the children. They have all been very friendly and welcoming. The teachers and staff are very friendly and helpful. I encourage new parents to Camp Allen to make their decision about the school based on their experience and not on an angry post.

Posted October 09, 2013
As a dedicated teacher at Camp Allen for over 10 years, it breaks my heart to see some of the reviews posted here. I know how dedicated the staff, including the administration are to student achievement. We go in early, stay late and work from home trying to find the best ways to reach every student. Student achievement, student growth, and student happiness are our top priority. All decision made are in the best interest of the children. Not everyone sees what goes on behind the curtain as we work as groups for hours trying to come up with ways to reach all students, but trust that it is happening. Our administration is working hard to improve teaching and learning to make it the best school. I would encourage you to come join us, volunteer, have lunch with your child and reach out if there is a concern. We want to be a team, both staff and parents to help our children. Please join us at school, PTA functions, and other school functions. We would love to have you! I love my job and Camp Allen. We are committed to having each child reach their full potential! Thanks you for considering joining our effort to make out children the best they can be!

Posted October 08, 2013
My children attend Camp Allen Elementary & at first, it wasn't bad, but now with this new principal (Mrs. Copeland) it has gotten awful. The teachers aren't bad, but the principal, office secretary, and PTA need a makeover! I've never met so many rude staff members in the same school. This school is 99% military and might as well be 99% bullying. There is so much bullying that constantly goes on and it's never dealt with properly. It's sad. I've also witnessed teachers, principal, and the secretary being very mean to children. Gym teacher is a jerk too...He scares the heck out of kids just to make them do stuff. They will all smile in your face and act sweet, but the stories my children come home with and what I've witnessed, it's terrifying! Homework is a joke...it always has typo's and never makes any sense...have fun figuring it out yourself. We are moving just so our children don't have to attend this school anymore.

Posted May 03, 2013
It is a shame that the majority of the time Camp Allen receives comments is when parents are unhappy about something. Camp Allen has been an incredible journey for our family. My wife attended this school as a young child. She was happy then and WE have been nothing but happy over the past 5 years. Each teacher has been kind and professional. The majority of students do not come from military families but nonetheless, we feel a sense of community. I encourage more people who are happy with Camp Allen to post positive comments. And ... we need more parental support ... stop complaining and become involved.

Posted April 27, 2013
We had a bad experience with this school. The majority if not all of the students are from a military family. (only plus) The staff was ok, some were rude. I had the pleasure of meeting my sons IEP teacher *ahem RUDE and too young to be experienced enough to handle my child. She acted as if my son wasnt in the room. They do NOT provide transportation for our location. Since he isnt wheel chair bound he wasnt allowed to take a bus. I could go on, but I wont. We went the homeschool route, because we were told we couldnt send him to two other schools, both of which were under 2 miles away. I refuse to take him back there.

Posted February 01, 2012
I have had nothing but an amazing experience at this school. My daughter had a bullying issue, and the school dealt with it swiftly and it has stopped. They did an amazing job! My daughter has a speech problem and tubes in her ears and the students and the teachers have been amazing in helping us get the speech therapy that she needs. I am ALWAYS greeted with a huge hello, and everyone I have met in this school has been nice and welcoming. Its sad reading all these bad reviews, this is a great school!

Posted October 18, 2011
I have made two reviews to the site about this school. But I come back on and they are gone. Who is it that decides what reviews get to stay or get deleted? I wonder how long this review will stay on here? Camp Allen Administration has gone from bad to worse. They still have the "fetus doll" crazy lady there and NO principal has been hired yet. ALL the other schools of Norfolk have a principal, why is it that Camp Allen always gets the worst of the lot? Is it a Norfolk dumping ground? Talk to the AP for 5 minutes, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Posted September 22, 2011
Wow, my experience has been nothing but amazing at this school. My children are happy with their teachers and I always feel welcome. The staff is knowledgeable and I really feel like we are a team in making sure my children learn.

Camp Allen Elementary School
501 C St., Norfolk, VA  23505
Last modified Camp Allen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Camp Allen Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top