Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Let me start by saying the teachers there are amazing, but they can only work with what they have. my sons teacher had to write out each childs homework for the week because the school was out of paper or out of ink teachers digging into their own pockets to buy things they should have readily available. They have money in the budget to decorate the foyer every month but cant keep the copier supplied with paper and ink?! Discipline was a joke a 3rd graded cussed at a lunch monitor she took him to principals office he came back 5 minutes later all smiles with a snickers bar she gave him. I've see jailhouse buses full of inmates more in control that the one my children rode kids standing up yelling lewd comments out of the windows a child got off at the bus stop with my daughter one day and didnt live anywhere close another woman whose children also got off there too the small child back to school! If you have no choice but to live in Norfolk I suggest you enroll you children in a private school theyll be safer and learn

My child is a student here for 3 years. Previously a Virginia Beach student, my child says that Norfolk schools are not as hard as Virginia Beach schools, which tells me as a parent that Norfolk is trailing behind a better school district like Virginia Beach. Still, my child is a solid A student receiving a standard education, which tells me that her teachers are doing their jobs, but I would like to see Norfolk schools improve a lot more in striving for better classroom education, not just focusing on the SOL standards. Our kids need to be ready for their futures, and our educators and school system in Virginia are doing an average job compared to the rest of the nation, but we still lag behind the rest of the world.

My son attended Kindergarden at Fairlawn. I am happy with this school, though my concern is their discipline for children for being children. Besides that my son and daughter (attended 5th grade) had a wonderful experience. The opportunities offered through there excellent teachers are endless.

I think that this school is great. They are very open with volunteering and found they are very helpful with helping parents help thier children with learning

Overall our 2007-2008 school year at fairlawn has been great! the staff is very friendly. My son's teacher was outstanding and very dedicated. My son excelled in all areas. I was really thrilled with how his writing improved. Hopefully the next school year will be just as good.

This is our second year at Fairlawn and I have never seen such excellance in my children. My youngest daughter was diagnosed bipolar and she excels in an environment that is structured like Fairlawn. I don't know if it is because of the new prinicpal or not, but my experience with this school has been amazing. I have heard that a lot of schools 'teach' the SOL and that was my main concern when sending my children to public school. Fairlawn did no such thing! They had an art show, science fair, music programs and we even brought in the Girl Scout program for the first time for Daiseys and Brownies.

Last modified Fairlawn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.