Norfolk, VA

Posted January 02, 2013
I'm a Parent of a 8th Grade student who has been at Ghent since Kindergarten. I LOOOOVVVVEEEEEE this school. The teachers are soo compassionate about their student, willing to put extra work into every child, giving special attention to every child, treating all of the students the same - regardless if they have special needs or not - and because most of the students have been there since Kindergarten, the teachers for the next grade level already know how to handle them. I'm going to be sad to have to put my daughter into another school, even begging the Principal to extend the school to 12th grade. Currently, Ghent is the only Open Classroom and Open Campus school in Norfolk, meaning you dont have to live in the Neighborhood to have your child attend this awesome place

Posted February 01, 2012
Great school, both my kids go. Teachers are caring and curriculum is guaged towards the student ability.

Ghent Elementary School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
Their teachers care about the kids and their teaching methods are great. No child is ever board or left behind. If the child is not up to level they work with the seperately to bring them there. If I child is ahead, they put them with others that are on the same level and give them a little bit harder work. My son is in 8th grade and goes to the high school part of the day because his math skills are on a 10th grade level. When he struggled in reading at 6 years old they caught the fact that he had dislexia and worked with him to control it and now he is in all honors classes.

Posted September 08, 2009
I am so thankful I learned about this school before my son even started. He has now in 8th grade. We are actually sad this will be his last year at Ghent. The smaller class sizes and the caring teachers have helped my child to excel. I really feel he has been given the best education public school could offer. We are so appreciative of the staff. I know he has a solid foundation and is prepared for high school anywhere. This school is K-8, another positive feature. This school should be used as an example for all Norfolk Public Schools.

Posted April 01, 2009
The staff is very curtious and knowlegeable always there to answer questions and to help parents.

Ghent Elementary School 3

Posted March 05, 2009

Posted September 09, 2008
i love it! the teachers are great

Posted May 10, 2008
high academic standards, great kids, dedicated teachers. a great alternative to the district schools in norfolk. however, research on my norfok district school, shows better test-scores and a higher rating among parents.

Posted November 18, 2007
Academics and moral standards are impressive.

Posted June 25, 2007

Ghent Elementary School
200 Shirley Ave, Norfolk, VA  23517
Last modified Ghent Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ghent Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top