Bad
Good

My daughter has attended Mary Calcott for 2 years, and we love it. Her teachers are very encouraging, and willing to work with us if she falls behind or needs extra work. We are a military family, and they were so helpful during her 1st grade year when her dad was deployed. Nurturing when needed, and firm when needed as well. We recently changed principals, and I have had no problems with the new leadership. They are dedicated to making school fun while fulfilling SOL requirements. I highly recommend this school.

My son has had very positive experiences since attending Mary Calcott ( K-1). The teachers have worked with him and encouraged him to love reading. I have noticed improvement in his spelling and reading. Sometimes I feel like the teachers could take more of an initiative to keep me more informed, but I am always prompting correspondence with them, so as to know what progress my child is making and what areas he needs to work on. Overall I am happy with this public school.

Mary Calcott is a wonderful school. The PTA is also very active and I would encourage you to also be an active part of the school. This interaction between caring teachers and parents is vital to the schools success and one of the many reasons that children do well here.

I've heard nothing but great things about this school so when my kids go this fall i will be more then happy ; )

Our daughter was truly blessed w/the teachers at Calcott; they took the time to work w/her, her ADHD and us. Even w/her ADHD, our daughter has excellent grades and is also in the Gifted Program. The teachers seem to be truly invested in the children and try to work as a team w/parents. THIS IS A GREAT SCHOOL! To have a great school parents need to be actively involved, I'm a working mom, but still make time to visit my daughter's school, I go to PTA meetings (yes, I work all day, but the meetings only take an 1hr of my time and it shows the school and my child that I care). I check my daughter s grades daily and not wait until I get a weekly or quarterly report to see if she is struggling. If my child is struggling, I ask questions to the teacher, staff, other parents, and do my own research so I can help my child better and I may have to work w/my child to (I don t mind). To parents who want to complain about a good school: When was the last time you attended a PTA meeting? When was the last time you read to or read w/your child? Have you done your own research to help your child? Have you asked the teacher what can YOU do to help your child?

The teachers and principal do not accomodate children that make no progress as each quarter passes. My child is not the only one being left to fail. When you have children that get extra help in a reading group with only five or so children how is it that the school doesnt try something different when at least two of the children(that I know of) are still receiving Es? And NO our children dont need/have IEPs or 504s. If the extra reading class is not working then why not try another approach?

Mary Calcott is the best school in Norfolk and maybe even Virginia! The teachers and principal are wonderful.

I just have my Kids here.And they love the school.

I am very pleased with the school. My children just looooove Mary Calcot Elementary.Alisa,Luther,and Amy

Last modified Mary Calcott Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.