Norfolk, VA
Students enrolled: 1,185

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 25, 2015
Some teachers don't give out any homework. Other teachers give out a reasonable amount of homework. The students complain about how much homework they have and many of them don't bother doing any homework.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted July 25, 2015
It's really sad when I see so many students who just give up instead of sticking it out and trying harder.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted July 25, 2015
I don't think many of the students really understand what respect means. They don't see it exhibited in their homes and in the community. The need to see it modeled more consistently.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted July 25, 2015
Again, I think the teachers, staff, and administration tries, but it doesn't always stick because of what the students experience at home and in the community.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted July 25, 2015
I think it tries, but when those values are not enforced in the home it doesn't do any good.

Norview Middle School 3

Posted July 25, 2015
This school is in a very challenging environment. Poverty and crime are high and children get very little support at home. Many of the parents and students want to do well, and most of the teachers care about helping their students, but there is only so much that they can do. The community needs to work together to improve things overall or it's not going to get any better.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 25, 2015
Most of the teachers seem to really care about the student and try to make learning fun. This is a challenging environment but the lack of student success cannot be blamed on the teachers.

Norview Middle School 1

Posted March 18, 2015
Hi Moms and Dads and school administrators! I will say this as tactfully as I can. This school has failed my child over and over again. It is so poorly run that I can't even find the words to describe. The teachers are very sub-par with their attitudes about the learning experience. When we left this school and moved to a new school, my child was in for a full-culture shock to be at a school that actually challenged and cared about each and every child. I would not recommend ANYONE send their child to this school. The children are very unruly and not well-managed. BULLYING is outrageous here and the only recourse is to go to the police or to the court to press charges. I am just very, very disheartened for the few children who do want to learn yet are forced to stay at this school where the morale is so low. The counselors are a joke and only look at the issues from a very surface level. They are arrogant and belittling and even condescending when they speak with you. I am just sad that such a school exists. This is my honest experience of this school from the school year 2013 & 2014. Hope it helps.

Norview Middle School 1

Posted November 05, 2014
I must say this school is a mess! You have children bullying, fighting, cursing, and very disrespectful! The school is full of unconcerned teachers, lazy security guards, unfair deans, and a principal who is never there to speak to you when you need it! I refuse to let my child be apart of this school because her raputation and education would be ruined! I advise anyone that care for thier child safety and education to not enroll them in this particular school! The staff is very unprofessional and there only for a pay check!
3 people found this helpful

Norview Middle School 2

Posted September 02, 2014
This school is horrible! My sons went here and learned the worst values I have ever seen. One son failed all year and when questioned about it to the school about what the teachers were doing he came home with the last report card passing in everything g and passed hi.veto the seventh grade! This school is a joke. I was scared for my kids everyday I had to move one year was enough!

6325 Sewells Point Rd, Norfolk, VA  23513
Last modified Norview Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Norview Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top