Ocean View Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 573 students

Student diversity

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted yesterday

Grading policies, and teaching guidelines are inconsistent. Teacher didn't monitor AR reading program. When confronted with this leadership said that a 6 yr old was responsible for her own AR program but teacher didn't offer student any feedback. Focused on grades/test scores. If your child is making above 80% but you feel they don't quite "get it" this will fall on deaf ears because the "data" shows otherwise. The rigor isn't there. For example my daughter received 100% on all spelling tests in 1st gr and word study HW came very easy. Tested my daughter (after we withdrew) on a Stanford exam and her spelling was at K level, in the middle of 1st grade. Had concern that grades were entered in the gradebook after the semester. Took it to Superintendent level. Got a response that they reviewed the record themselves but wouldn't show me my daughters academic record to verify. Students do a lot of work independently but if they are incorrect nobody catches it. Out of date curriculum (Daily Language Review is from 1998 (it's on amazon). Worksheets had unreadable graphics bc they were so old. One picture was an actual stamp that was $0.29. Tests had typos and grading errors.

Posted March 7, 2014

My son currently goes to Ocean View Elementary and we are very happy with it. As a military family, you often hear that you need to live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to find good schools. We did our research, visited public and private schools and were very impressed with all the teachers we met at Ocean View. Now in March of his Kindergarten year, I am very happy we chose a location that was close to NAS Norfolk, and a great school for our son. Ms. Hicks is great with our son. He can be challenging to get focused, although he is above average academically. He stays challenged and has a new, fun story to tell us every day. He loves music, art, Phys Ed and especially the science projects they work on. He loves helping with the Oyster Beds as part of the maritime school project. He also attends the YWCA after school program there at the school, and is sad when I pick him up every day. He wants to stay longer to play. Smaller class sizes, teacher's aids, and more time for free play would give this school 5 stars, but you won't find that in any of the public schools anywhere today, unfortunately. We stay close to his teacher, talking and meeting often.

Posted January 7, 2014

my daughter has attended oves for 3 years & is receiving a great education. there is not a lot of busy work, every task has a purpose. the school is very conscientious about teaching each child at their own pace..."no child left behind". conversely, students who are high achievers like my daughter are challenged & motivated. we transferred our younger daughter to oves this year for pre-k from a private school, a decision we are happy with. the faculty & staff are energetic, dedicated professionals. oves is a maritime school so the science syllabus is based on life in the Chesapeake bay, fitting given our location. 5th graders monitor oyster floats at nauticus, & participate in guiding the younger classes when they visit. students participate in fall & spring musical concerts. also noteworthy, the school is the cleanest facility I have ever seen. my husband is a military officer. when we moved to the area a few years ago we were told to live in Virginia beach because of the schools. I am sooo glad that I did my research & found oves. my husband is able to live close to his work at the naval station, we have a beautiful home & my girls are receiving a safe, solid education.

Posted December 6, 2013

My daughter is in second grade, she has been going to this school since K. I have never had a problem with the teachers. Mr.Burch was her first teacher and he is a wonderful teacher. Ms. Perry is her teacher now and is a great teacher. The Vice principle and all the staff are wonderful. My daughter was having a hard time with reading and I talked with the vice principle and his team and found ways to help my daughter excell. I love this school.

Posted December 5, 2013

This school is horrible! Do not send your children here! Teachers drag students around by their clothes and neck, and the principle does nothing about it. My child learns new language daily- things like "yo!" and "what it do". The school encourages this because "it's an inner-city" school. Ocean View is unsafe. Avoid this school.

Posted November 30, 2013

my son went to kindergarten here had a horrible time at times he would cry when we sent him to school. He was in trouble once to three times a month (biting , hitting etc.) when I asked the teachers how it happened, none could answer.(it was always I didn't see what happened) Three teachers 27 children per class

Posted September 28, 2013

A very good school. The teachers are nice to the students. I love this school.

Posted September 24, 2013

I don't know how this school is getting the reviews it has here. My neighbors two girls just transferred out of there. The amount of stress the teachers inflict on the children in unconsionable. They took away recess to make more time to teach the standardized test info. There are children there with eating and anxiety disorders due to the pressure put on them to just pass the test.

Posted May 10, 2013

This school seems to have a very tense, hard-edge atmosphere. A lot of the teachers seem on edge. The kids too. My son is finishing first grade, and I'm not sure I want the rest of his schooling to be like this.

Posted March 26, 2013

I have very fond memories of my teachers and my time at Ocean View Elementary during WWII. When I moved to Texas to begin the 4th grade I felt like I was repeating third grade all over again.

Posted November 16, 2012

As a parent of two children who attended/attend this school, I can't speak highly enough of it. The principal is very involved and can often be seen going down the hallways and interacting with the children, knowing them by name, and asking how they are. Bullying is not tolerated and is addressed quickly and effectively. I have found that the teachers my children have had have been excellent -- my eldest daughter felt that this school really helped her get on track and raise her grades.

Posted September 3, 2011

I know that this not a review of the present but from a former student. One of my most memorable and influential teachers at Ocean View Elementary School (O.V.E.S.) was a Ms. Jones. She left an unforgettable impression that's still with me today. Looking back, I was an active child needing an education and direction. With Ms. Jones wagging her finger in my face, it finally kick-in, only later on in life. Thank You Ms. Jones. Was a O.V.E.S. student, along with my older, from 1954-1956, until my naval father was transferred to Spain. Am aware that a lot has past from then till now, but it was good to read the reviews that present parents have. It makes me proud to have been part of the schools growth and its present level of teaching success. Thank You

Posted April 30, 2009

My son attends Ocean View Elementary, he is a second grader. He has attended there every since Pre-K. All of his teachers have been wonderful and informative. He has really learned a lot since he has been at Ocean View Elementary. My son has continuosly been on the honor roll thanks to the excellent teachers and our stressing how important education is to succeed in life. The only problem with this school is there is no where to park to drop off or pick up your child which causes a problem with the residents across the street, traffic flow, and safety. I strongly recommend this school to any and everyone in this district or area.

Posted October 20, 2008

My son, now 4th grade, has attended OV Elementary since kindergarten and we feel he is getting the best possible education he could get. The facility at OVE is absolutely top rated. My only complaint is the standard of discipline or the lack there of. Although they have discipline policies in place I feel they are vastly unimplemented and a more 'no nonsense' approach would drastically improve the quality of the overall educational experience for all of the studentbody.

Posted April 6, 2008

My daughter started attending Oceanview in 2001 as a Pre K student and she is now almost at the end of her 5th grade year. My son has attended this school since Pre K as well and he is now in the first grade. I love all of the faculty at Oceanview. They're very dedicated to the children and they provide a well rounded curriculum. We moved out of district a few years ago and I got permission from the school board just so my children could continue their education at Oceanview. My son had a problem with his speech in Pre K and was put into speech classes and I am happy to say that he no longer has any speech problems. I contribute his success to early detection by his teacher and the counselors there. In my opinion this is the best elementary school in this area.

Posted October 6, 2007

I wanted my daughter to attend an elementary school where its administration and teaching staffs main focus was educating and nurturing children. Ocean View Elementary is just that school. She was a student at Ocean View from kindergarten to fifth grade, with the exception of third grade. I have nothing but great things to say about the school and it's staff! I am pleased to say that she completed her fifth grade year with many awards and accomplishments, including the President's Education Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Honor Roll, Outstanding Safety Patrol, and an Accelerated Reading trophy. I contribute her success at Ocean View to all the wonderful people who there from the administration to the custodial staff. Everyone who works at Ocean View becomes involved with helping the students achieve success. She is now an 8th grader at the School of International Studies, another top-rated great school in Norfolk.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2007

I have to say that OV Elementary is one of the best if not the best in the city of Norfolk! Our son graduated from there and now our daughter attends Pre-K there. From the teachers to the Principal we have nothing but excellent things to say about them all.

Posted June 14, 2004

I have to admit when I found out that Oceanview was the school my daughters were going to, I had many doubts. Now that this school year is over (2003-2004), I look back and can honestly say that although there were a few 'eyebrow' raising situations, we got through them and hopefully will not have to go through them again next year. The ladies in the office are absolutely wonderful. Mrs. Boyer and Ms. Eberhart are excellent teachers, and they do really care about what is going on. Mrs. Hodges is an exceptional, and outstanding Assistant Principal, she goes more than above and beyond her duties! I pray we see her again next year. I have to thank all you wonderful ladies for all your help and support! Ms. Wright

Posted August 26, 2003

Mrs. Campsen, the principal, is a wonderul educator. She is heavily involved in the school and her students. Every teacher in Oceanview is concerned and involved in their students education and well-being.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

72 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Students with disabilities91%
Students without disabilities95%
Proficient in English94%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students78%

Not economically disadvantaged100%
Students without disabilities94%
Proficient in English92%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Mrs. Lauren Campsen

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9501 Mason Creek Rd