Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted June 15, 2016
I love this school. I have two kids going there (second and kindergarten). The teachers are friendly, the school is charming, the office staff is very knowledgable and friendly, they've all been very helpful with any questions I've had. The principle! He stands at the front door just about every single morning and is almost presidential. Very well dressed all the time.. He wears bow ties! I love it, makes him seem very approachable and my kids love it too. He's always so nice. ( And handsome too! ) I'm very happy with this school. My son has been found to be gifted in math and the teacher is so nice. Both of my kids do very well. I'll be happy to see the new school building!!

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 23, 2016
Children who exceed their standards are recognized among their peers and parents. The reading programs stand out the most, motivating children to read!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 23, 2016
Every child's voice is heard and their educational needs are taken care of. There is always a caring adult to hear the child.

Posted May 23, 2016
Every single day ( rain or shine) the principle, Dr. Peterson, is outside watching the children go into school. I feel that the children are safe from predators or any harm once they step on school grounds.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 23, 2016
Ms.Hicks! My daughter had to repeat kindergarten coming from New York and she struggled so much because the teacher proceeded to teach without any concern. But Ms.Hicks has so much patience and absolutely cares about all of her students. My daughter can now read on her own and even do math! We are so grateful for her amazing teaching method and the love she has for teaching! My daughter no longer shows fear of learning!

Posted May 23, 2015
This school held my most wonderful achievements in academia. Brilliant teaching methods and student care. My class learned over fifty dinosaur names including Latin classification and identification by sight and/or description. We had learned that along with reading at a first grade level by the middle of our kindergarten year. Exemplary staffing, I recommend this school above any other in the area for the junior grade level students. Bravo Ocean View Elementary, GO-O-O DOLPHINS!

Ocean View Elementary School 3

Posted August 03, 2014
Daughters went there for a year. Was a good school for my 3rd grader but for mym2nd grader w/a learning disability(w/in the autistic spectrum) was horrible. I would be called to school when she would shut down because the teacher & counseler didnt even bother to try to help or understand. I could be there for 5 minutes or a few hours sitting in the hallway helping her w/class work. It took 5 months to get her IEP 're-written from her previous school! I was constantly meeting w/the teacher to make sure she was recieving help. It got so bad my daughter started giving up. When it came SOL time my 3rd grader was so stressed out she would come home sick from it. They put so much pressure on them lead in up to it. When it was SOL time the school was all but on lockdown it was ridiculous. They were not very military friendly or understand either.

Ocean View Elementary School 1

Posted July 09, 2014
Grading policies, and teaching guidelines are inconsistent. Teacher didn't monitor AR reading program. When confronted with this leadership said that a 6 yr old was responsible for her own AR program but teacher didn't offer student any feedback. Focused on grades/test scores. If your child is making above 80% but you feel they don't quite "get it" this will fall on deaf ears because the "data" shows otherwise. The rigor isn't there. For example my daughter received 100% on all spelling tests in 1st gr and word study HW came very easy. Tested my daughter (after we withdrew) on a Stanford exam and her spelling was at K level, in the middle of 1st grade. Had concern that grades were entered in the gradebook after the semester. Took it to Superintendent level. Got a response that they reviewed the record themselves but wouldn't show me my daughters academic record to verify. Students do a lot of work independently but if they are incorrect nobody catches it. Out of date curriculum (Daily Language Review is from 1998 (it's on amazon). Worksheets had unreadable graphics bc they were so old. One picture was an actual stamp that was $0.29. Tests had typos and grading errors.

Ocean View Elementary School 4

Posted March 07, 2014
My son currently goes to Ocean View Elementary and we are very happy with it. As a military family, you often hear that you need to live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to find good schools. We did our research, visited public and private schools and were very impressed with all the teachers we met at Ocean View. Now in March of his Kindergarten year, I am very happy we chose a location that was close to NAS Norfolk, and a great school for our son. Ms. Hicks is great with our son. He can be challenging to get focused, although he is above average academically. He stays challenged and has a new, fun story to tell us every day. He loves music, art, Phys Ed and especially the science projects they work on. He loves helping with the Oyster Beds as part of the maritime school project. He also attends the YWCA after school program there at the school, and is sad when I pick him up every day. He wants to stay longer to play. Smaller class sizes, teacher's aids, and more time for free play would give this school 5 stars, but you won't find that in any of the public schools anywhere today, unfortunately. We stay close to his teacher, talking and meeting often.

Ocean View Elementary School 4

Posted January 07, 2014
my daughter has attended oves for 3 years & is receiving a great education. there is not a lot of busy work, every task has a purpose. the school is very conscientious about teaching each child at their own pace..."no child left behind". conversely, students who are high achievers like my daughter are challenged & motivated. we transferred our younger daughter to oves this year for pre-k from a private school, a decision we are happy with. the faculty & staff are energetic, dedicated professionals. oves is a maritime school so the science syllabus is based on life in the Chesapeake bay, fitting given our location. 5th graders monitor oyster floats at nauticus, & participate in guiding the younger classes when they visit. students participate in fall & spring musical concerts. also noteworthy, the school is the cleanest facility I have ever seen. my husband is a military officer. when we moved to the area a few years ago we were told to live in Virginia beach because of the schools. I am sooo glad that I did my research & found oves. my husband is able to live close to his work at the naval station, we have a beautiful home & my girls are receiving a safe, solid education.

9501 Mason Creek Rd, Norfolk, VA  23503
Last modified Ocean View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.