Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My daughter is in fifth grade and her teacher Ms Taylor so far is doing a great job, Ms Collins in the office is wonderful and The principal is always outside in the mornings greeting and watching the students. Linda Barnes the nurse is very nice.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The principal and teachers doesn't tolerate bullying and the school has a bow tie behavior award that students receive for showing integrity, compassion and respect

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My daughter is understanding what she is learning

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The teacher makes sure the home work is done but doesn't grade it just wants to make sure they study and understand what they are learning

I love this school. I have two kids going there (second and kindergarten). The teachers are friendly, the school is charming, the office staff is very knowledgable and friendly, they've all been very helpful with any questions I've had. The principle! He stands at the front door just about every single morning and is almost presidential. Very well dressed all the time.. He wears bow ties! I love it, makes him seem very approachable and my kids love it too. He's always so nice. ( And handsome too! ) I'm very happy with this school. My son has been found to be gifted in math and the teacher is so nice. Both of my kids do very well. I'll be happy to see the new school building!!

Every single day ( rain or shine) the principle, Dr. Peterson, is outside watching the children go into school. I feel that the children are safe from predators or any harm once they step on school grounds.

This school held my most wonderful achievements in academia. Brilliant teaching methods and student care. My class learned over fifty dinosaur names including Latin classification and identification by sight and/or description. We had learned that along with reading at a first grade level by the middle of our kindergarten year. Exemplary staffing, I recommend this school above any other in the area for the junior grade level students. Bravo Ocean View Elementary, GO-O-O DOLPHINS!

Daughters went there for a year. Was a good school for my 3rd grader but for mym2nd grader w/a learning disability(w/in the autistic spectrum) was horrible. I would be called to school when she would shut down because the teacher & counseler didnt even bother to try to help or understand. I could be there for 5 minutes or a few hours sitting in the hallway helping her w/class work. It took 5 months to get her IEP 're-written from her previous school! I was constantly meeting w/the teacher to make sure she was recieving help. It got so bad my daughter started giving up. When it came SOL time my 3rd grader was so stressed out she would come home sick from it. They put so much pressure on them lead in up to it. When it was SOL time the school was all but on lockdown it was ridiculous. They were not very military friendly or understand either.

Grading policies, and teaching guidelines are inconsistent. Teacher didn't monitor AR reading program. When confronted with this leadership said that a 6 yr old was responsible for her own AR program but teacher didn't offer student any feedback. Focused on grades/test scores. If your child is making above 80% but you feel they don't quite "get it" this will fall on deaf ears because the "data" shows otherwise. The rigor isn't there. For example my daughter received 100% on all spelling tests in 1st gr and word study HW came very easy. Tested my daughter (after we withdrew) on a Stanford exam and her spelling was at K level, in the middle of 1st grade. Had concern that grades were entered in the gradebook after the semester. Took it to Superintendent level. Got a response that they reviewed the record themselves but wouldn't show me my daughters academic record to verify. Students do a lot of work independently but if they are incorrect nobody catches it. Out of date curriculum (Daily Language Review is from 1998 (it's on amazon). Worksheets had unreadable graphics bc they were so old. One picture was an actual stamp that was $0.29. Tests had typos and grading errors.

My son currently goes to Ocean View Elementary and we are very happy with it. As a military family, you often hear that you need to live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to find good schools. We did our research, visited public and private schools and were very impressed with all the teachers we met at Ocean View. Now in March of his Kindergarten year, I am very happy we chose a location that was close to NAS Norfolk, and a great school for our son. Ms. Hicks is great with our son. He can be challenging to get focused, although he is above average academically. He stays challenged and has a new, fun story to tell us every day. He loves music, art, Phys Ed and especially the science projects they work on. He loves helping with the Oyster Beds as part of the maritime school project. He also attends the YWCA after school program there at the school, and is sad when I pick him up every day. He wants to stay longer to play. Smaller class sizes, teacher's aids, and more time for free play would give this school 5 stars, but you won't find that in any of the public schools anywhere today, unfortunately. We stay close to his teacher, talking and meeting often.

Last modified Ocean View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.