Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

As the first year comes to a close, I have to say I am over the moon with the Young Scholar program at Ruffner. We had worries beforehand about the school itself and the segregation of these kids from the general classes. My daughter has thrived here though, loving every day and learning constantly. She still skips to school like an elementary school kid, and comes home singing each day. The teachers are just amazing. Mr. baez, the science teacher, pushes them extremely hard, but gets great results and really nurtures a love of science. Ms. Butler is kind and funny and the kids adore her. Mrs. Pryor is an amazing woman - her vitality and personality helps move the kids on to bigger and better things. Mr. Aninyo is very smart and hopefully will set up a chess club next year. I would recommend the Young Scholars program to any parent of a gifted child in NPS, who is confident their child can handle the hefty homework load and packed schedule. In return, your child will find a family there, and develop skills that will improve their lives a hundredfold.

The jury is out on the culture in this school for me. My daughter has been touched inappropriately by a boy and has been physically assaulted by another and she is in her first year in the Young Scholar Program there.

Develops character: Neutral

Ruffner school has a behavior problem, I feel guilty as a parent because my daughter goes there. Some of the teachers are unprofessional, please watch what area you move to or your child will be attending a juvenile delinquent center

Ruffner Middle School is disgusting, the bathrooms usually flood in the locker room and in the bathrooms in the hallways. The councilors know little to nothing about programs. Last year, there were snakes in the girls locker room. There is also a large amount or racism and prejudice towards the Young Scholars Program, since there is mostly Caucasians in the program. Those who aren't in the program can be mean to the YS students when they get answers wrong on tests.

I attended the old Ruffner back in the 40's. Have no idea what the "academic standing" was, I just remember it as a positive experience. Mr. S. A. MacDonald was the Principal.

FACT: iN 2009-2010, Ruffner Academy was ranked 2nd to last in academic acheivement among all middle schools in the state of Virginia! The principal was fired and there is an improvement team from Johns Hopkins University on site to help bring the school up to standard. This abysmal ranking is a matter of public record. Don't send your child here unless he/she is a part of the Young Scholars program.

My daughter is a student going to 7th grade in the 2010-2011 school year and participates in the prestigious Young Scholars Program there. We are both equally satisfied with the great education she has been getting at Ruffner and I completely disagree with the poor rating this franchise has stricken upon that school. The list stating things that "A great school has..." is a near perfect match to the quality of Ruffner and that may never go away because of the many "challenging programs", "strong leadership", and "excellent teachers" there.

I am a Tiderwater Community College Student. I am in several college classes with the Middle College High School students. Many are on the Dean's List, and by the time they grqduate High School, they will have an Associate's Degree. I think it's a wonderful opertunity, and I wish I had the chance to do the same.

I am aunt to a Ruffner Middle School student, and have been most impressed by the faculty and facility as a whole. The Ruffner name was not a positive reference years ago, but I am pleased to say that such association has changed for the better! Every teacher I've met has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. They provided detailed and informative updates on my nephew's progress and behavior, and opened their classrooms and personal schedules to our entire family whenever specific issues had to be addressed. These professional men and women truly believe in each child - regardless of their home environment or background, and that drive and personal committment is evident in their interaction with my nephew and others.

Last modified Ruffner Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.