Suburban Park Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 544 students

Student diversity

Posted May 7, 2014

All 3 of my children have gone to this school, 2 are still there. I myself went to this school along with my 4 sisters who range in age up to 40 years old. I purposely moved into the district since it was such an amazing school when I attended. I am starting to regret that now. It has definitely changed for the worst. My children who have never had bad grades before, are now failing. When I tell them to raise their hand and ask for help if they don't understand something, they say that they do but the teacher tells them to put their hand down & brushes them off. The principal is very distant from the kids & doesn't seem to care about them at all. I cannot count how many times my boys have been bullied & actually beat up. Also how many meetings I've had with that same principal, where she did absolutely nothing about it. Most of the bullying takes place on the bus, where there cameras. So I don't see why nothing is being done. It's pretty ludicrous if you ask me. Especially with all the schools supposedly cracking down on bullying. My kids beg me to stay home almost everyday. Lack of money keeps me from moving again, so I guess we're stuck

Posted June 30, 2013

I don't know how you are but this school is awesome and the teacher are involved

Posted May 28, 2013

I have two children that attend this school I have never been to a school that so unorganized. Also that the parents has to provide things for your kids to go on a field trip. I am also very upset that I filled out for a background check in mar and now it is almost june and still havn't recieve it so I can't attend my kids field trips. You ask the teachers question they are totally lost.

Posted February 29, 2012

This school is terrible. The fact they don't make the grades to get funding speaks volumes on both the teachers, administrators and parents. I am deeply concerned about my child's welfare going to this school. I had tried to get him out but to no avail, i didn't meet the criteria. My child's education is by far one of the most important things to me and the fact i'm stuck at this school is disheartening. The teachers are a joke with no communication skills and the principal does not seem to care about others opinions and ideas if they don't coincide with hers. The kids do not go to the library or computer lab as a punishment, so learning is a punishment.?!? No matter what my child WILL NOT attend next year.

Posted February 26, 2012

My grandson goes to this school. He is in the gifted program, which at his old school meant something. At Suburban, it means nothing. His teacher is flat out mean to children. I have witnessed this personally. Bullying is a big problem, too. The principal is uninvolved. The grades at this school are substandard. Communications from the teacher are HORRIBLE. You might as well just guess at what is happening at the school. It's very frustrating. To top it off, my grandson came home with a flyer inviting parents to come to a meeting where they could learn how to keep their child out of prison (among other ridiculous things). My grandson CAN read this for Pete's sake! I find this very inappropriate. It could have been mailed. Bottom line: My daughter will NOT be buying that house in THIS school district. Parents who care should really do some research into this school before they send their kids here. My bright, outgoing grandson went from a kid who loved school to a kid who dreads it everyday.

Posted January 11, 2012

I have 2 children that attend Suburban Park and I absolutely love this school. I was not thrilled about purchasing uniforms before school started but I am truly happy that evey child is considered an equal. I love the teachers and the principle (who taught me when I was in elementary school).

Posted May 5, 2011

My son had to transfer to SPES due to us moving and I had heard great things about it. Well to my surprise I became quickly disappointed w/ this school. They never hand out info/flyers for the parents that need to be sent home unlike other schools. You CAN'T walk your child to class. You must ask for the lunch forms when they should be given out at the beginning of the school year. The principal seems like she don't care that much about the school or kids, I have never seen so little involvement by a principal in my life time. They say they want parent involvement but everything has to be by appointment or volunteering. The only thing I can say that is good about this school is my son's teacher and I have a great teacher and parent relationship. The vice principal seems like she cares a lot more then the principal. I wish I could transfer my son back to his old school which is Crossroads Elem. School he did so much better there...and it's just a walk away for us.

Posted May 25, 2010

I am overall happy with the school, it has lost some of the quality it had over the past few years and I am not thrilled about the uniforms next year. But the school looses points with me with parent involvement. The school wont let you walk your kids to class and doesnt seem as open to having parents visit the classroom or have lunch with their child.

Posted September 18, 2008

My daughter has been at this school for the past 4 yrs. She is now in the 4th grade. I have nothing but good things to say. The Principal is dedicated to success of all students. The teachers seem to have a genuine concern for each student. The entire staff are polite and courteous. My daughter has made honor roll each and every semester. When it's time for middle school; I pray that it has some of the same qualities as Suburban Park.

Posted September 8, 2007

My child attened this school for four years. I as a parent have noticed that the school,the teachers, and students have really had a great leap of success since the Vice Principal Mrs. Brock took over the school. She really believes in her kids and more teachers really appear to care. The test scores in all areas are up and as long as she's in charge I can truly see great things continuing to happen.

Posted August 30, 2007

I have also had 5 children attend this school. Some of the teachers seem genuinely concerned for the academical welfare of the child, while others just seem to be there just to get a paycheck.

Posted January 12, 2007

My children have been at Suburban Park for two and one half school seasons. The first year was good, but last year and thus far this year I and several parents I have spoken with have noticed a big change. Some of the teachers really seem to care and try their best, but there are too many that seem burnt out or that they'd prefer to be doing something else. No or very little patients. The discipline standards seriously need to be revised. A lot of issues seem to be over looked, ignored, or simply not noticed. There are very few extracurricular activities. It also seems that too many of the children are falling through the cracks and being promoted when they can barely read. I personally am moving my children to another school at the end of this month.

Posted April 6, 2006

I am new to this school and I have had problems with receiving graded work back in a timely manner,then when your child gets low on their progress reports and report card no explanation is sent to the parent. I don't like the way Social Studies and Science is taught they need to be exposed everyday not one subject for 3 weeks then another subject for 1 week it is not good on the kids at a young age to try to remember work from 3 weeks prior.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

All Students63%

Students with disabilities79%
Students without disabilities81%
Proficient in English81%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students62%

Not economically disadvantaged92%
Students without disabilities69%
Proficient in English64%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

• Mrs. Brenda Shepherd

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

310 Thole St