James Monroe Elementary School 1

Posted September 28, 2014
My son started attending James Monroe this year. It has been NOTHING but horrible. The school claims to take a stance against bullying, but my son is being picked on for being the only white student in his class and one of the few in the entire school. It breaks my heart that he doesn t feel safe at school. I am not raising him to treat anyone differently because of appearances, which should be standard in 2014. I wish other parents did the same because this outlook is something that isn t being returned. The N word" is a commonly used word amongst the students and adults picking up children. I had to explain to my 9-year-old that it is NEVER ok to use that word. There is no structure during pick up and drop off. In the morning no faculty members stand outside of the school to monitor the arriving children. No one checks IDs when the children are picked up; anyone can pick your child up. Security is not enforced. The surrounding area is undesirable, to say the least. Gunshots in the middle of the day, constant yelling with profanity as a form of everyday communication, loud and explicit music from passing cars the list is endless. We are only 4 weeks into the school year.

Posted September 27, 2012
I am in absolute awe on how this school is coming along. Our family has been a part of the community for 3 years. At first were not comfortable due to the fact that this was an up and coming school. But, after being there for almost 3 years, I have no regrets on bringing them to James Monroe. They have an all star staff! Their School Counselor is amazing and the communication is awesome. I am a Very Proud Parent and will represent this school to my fullest ability. I encourage diversity, and this school encouraging that as well. Both hands up. My children LOVE going to school and are very comfortable here. I am especially like how the community is involved that is a huge plus. They really put in perspective, that its takes parents to have a child but a village to raise them.

Posted June 08, 2011
my children have been attending james monroe since 1st grade my son is going to 5th grade and my daughter will be going to blair. we have had a wonderful learning experience and i look forward to my 3 year old attending their pre k program this upcomming year

Posted June 23, 2004
My son is a student at Monroe Elementary School. The leadership in the school is outstanding. Teachers and staff believe that all students can learn and they make it their top priority. As a parent I have always felt welcomed and look forward to my next visit.

James Monroe Elementary School
520 W 29th St, Norfolk, VA  23508
Last modified James Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Monroe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 4 reviews.