PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted June 11, 2015
Great School. I could not ask anything else for my daughter! This is her first year and everyone is been so nice and make her feel so welcome, the only bad part is they just have till 8th grade.

Posted November 25, 2014
CTK Catholic School should certainly be recognized as a 'great school' by any measure. Our grandaughter entered the school in August 2014 as a kindergarten student. She has matured socially and academically in this short amount of time. She 'loves' her teacher and actually looks forward to going to school (well, most days, anyway...). She very much enjoys her classes (including Spanish, which we were surprised to learn she would be exposed to this early). Our family is certainly pleased (and relieved) at her academic and social progress, and grateful to her teacher(s) and staff for their guidance and professionalism. Thank you CTK!

Christ The King Catholic School 2

Posted July 29, 2014
My child has gone to CTK since forth grade. At first we loved it teachers were great and students were loving. After the second year it started to turn. Half of the kids are gone and so are the best teachers. The school lacks a good math program and teachers will only teach from the book. I have decided to pull my child out. I recommand testing into the gifted programs for public schools or private school. JUST NOT CTK

Posted June 22, 2014
Christ The King School is one of the best school I have ever sent my two girls too! The teachers are caring and are willing to give one on one when neeeded. The technology is outstanding and they also can now speak spanish thanks to the wonderful teachers at CTK!

Posted May 03, 2014
At Christ the King the Principal truly lives the values that they teach. She cares about the students and CTK family. The front office staff is so helpful and kind. There are some amazing teachers. I couldn't get my daughter to be motivated about reading and Mrs. Petti worked wonders with her and we are so grateful for how much she helped her. I loved the fact that they had a video production room in the school, with green screen and all. :) We miss CTK and all of our friends there.

Christ The King Catholic School 1

Posted December 23, 2013
If you liked the drama of high school cliques, you'll love being a Mom at CTK. Academic: Our child was a 2nd grader and did LITTLE math. Only reading was emphasized and the teachers may or may not have degrees/certifications as they are private and do not have to adhere to state law. Our son has ADHD and they did not work well with him. They didn't begin basic math until after Christmas. When we transferred to our new school, he was so far behind and is now failing math in 3rd grade. Child Care: One price, regardless of how much you use the aftercare services, if you can use them at all. They did not have enough staff and we were on a waiting list to use aftercare, which never opened up. My husband and I work and Wednesdays, school dismisses at 2:10pm. A lot is expected of the parents. You will have to volunteer a lot, including nights at a Bingo Hall throughout the year. It is so overwhelming. Glad to have been transferred from Norfolk base as public schools are not an option in this town, with many unaccredited, which could be the reason Catholic schools survive in Norfolk. They're really one of the only options. Sad, really.

Christ The King Catholic School 3

Posted September 04, 2013
My child was brand new to CTK for the 2012/2013 school year. We were so excited to be at the school! We joined the PTO, participated in fundraisers, and worked bingo. The art and music teachers there were awesome. Unfortunately, there really is a disconnect at CTK. If your kids have been going to CTK since Pre-K, you are likely to be very happy. If you have not been a part of this community for an extended period of time, you may find yourself out of the information loop. The faculty, staff and PTO really do forget that some families are new to the school! Sadly, issues for our family included a tuition miscalculation that was never straightened out, being subjected to part time faculty that did not adequately teach (2 tests all year, really?) and an ineffectual Principal who really didn't direct the teaching staff. However, my biggest complaint was the poor communication between myself, the school and my child's teachers. Given that I was looking for a more intimate, private religious education, CTK certainly fell way below my expectations. It was so disappointing for us. After all, who wants to move their child from school to school? However, we did not return for Fall 2013.

Posted April 12, 2013
I have 2 children in Christ the King school. They have both been here since pre-k and I would not have it any other way. The school is a wonderful place to learn and to grow. The staff cares about the children and the parents are not only friendly, but they volunteer for the other activities like scouts and soccer. School was never like this when I was a kid. There is a good mix of fun in with the learning so that the children do not lose interest. We are a happy family who help each other. Come check us out. There are always parents in the common area having coffee or chatting.

Posted July 17, 2012
My son attended Kindergarten at CTK and is now a rising 1st grader. We love this school. CTK has such a welcoming and comfortable environment. From teachers to staff, it's obvious that they care about students and their families. The teachers do such a wonderful job. My son was reading simple stories and writing short journal entries before mid-year; his handwriting, coloring, and drawing skills improved by leaps and bounds, and his math skills actually amazed me. I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of education that he is receiving. Their science and technology is top-notch, the library is well stocked, art and music are still present here! We aren't Catholic, but my son enjoyed the weekly mass--so that's really saying something. And yes, there is fundraising--quite a bit of it--but it's worth it. This school is worth every penny we pay and then some.

Posted May 18, 2012
I can't wait for my 3rd child to be old enough to join his brother and sister! We've been at Christ the King for four wonderful years now. The faculty, staff, and families have embraced us from from the first moment we walked in the door. I come from a small town, and being at CTK reminds me of that feeling I had back home. My children's friends always say hello to me in the halls (Hello, Mrs. X!) and I enjoy seeing all of the families grow. The sense of community is continued through the school's volunteering. All parents chip in 30 hours per family each year. Many families go above and beyond with more hours, but the small 30 hour requirement has huge positive impacts. The students also engage in helping others, through volunteering and the Peer Mediation program. I love the media program, hands-on science lab, library, and after-school sports and enrichment programs. But my favorite thing about CTK is the Peacemaker tradition. Each month, a child from each class is awarded a Peacemaker pin. The award is independent of academics, but focuses on positive personality traits - helping others, listening, doing all they can do to be an ambassador of peace.

Christ The King Catholic School
3401 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk, VA  23509
Last modified Christ The King Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8