No rating

St Pius X School

Private | PK-8 | 317 students

Living in Norfolk

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $179,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted September 24, 2013

First let me start by saying I was not looking for a private or a Catholic school when we decided on St. Pius. After a brief experience with the public school system here in Norfolk I knew we needed something different. Surprisingly the financial aid program offered was enough for us to make the switch. As the school year progressed my child showed us in every way the benefits of the structured education he received. In addition to now reading a full level above his grade, he loves school. Over the past 2 years we have seen him grow into a little man with integrity. Something extra that is worth every penny we have spent to send him there.

Posted December 26, 2012

We have tried 3 Catholic schools in 3 years and St. PiusX is the best for our family! Very friendly, caring and supportive administration. Sister Linda, the Principal, is an amazing leader. Our child is so happy and is receiving an excellent education!

Posted February 7, 2011

I was a student at St. Pius from pre-k through 8th grade. I was in no way the top student in my class at Pius and still I entered into all honors classes in high school. I was shocked when throughout last school year we learned what I already learned and mastered in 6th grade. I looked into the extra curricular activities that most colleges want and am able to fill my applications with extras and AP courses now. I had no idea I was getting such a great start through my St. Pius education.

Posted November 10, 2010

Great School! We could not be happier with the school. Very caring faculty and staff.

Posted July 24, 2009

I have three children in this school-over four years. The education is top-notch. The building is older except the new gym), but the teachers/staff are fantastic. My kids read way above grade level (one is reading three grades above his level). The math curriculum is very demanding and students not willing to WORK will not do well- the school demands engaged students and parents, and that is not a fit for every family. Students from this school fill IB programs in the best high schools around. If you are looking for a school, ask where the former students are now going to college. From here you'll see the best schools (MIT, for example) . We just had a student win a national aeronautics contest sponsored by NASA. My kids have played sports and we've had coaches who teach a love of sport and a respect for players and the game.

Posted May 20, 2009

I disagree with the 'glowing' comments made about St. Pius X School. This school is anything but 'glowing'. They lack in the education department in just about all subjects in all the grades. The sports aren't about teaching the children anything but how much their parents can kiss the bottoms of coaches and staff to get ahead. Values aren't taught they are shoved down your throat. Spanish is not accredited and does not carry over to most other schools. If your child is not Catholic, they will not be recognized for anything. The building itself is very old. So are the books and other materials used for learning. I cannot recommend this school.

Posted February 1, 2009

I graduated from St. Pius X and love this school. The teachers were tough but fair. The sports programs were really great and all kids were included no matter what their skill levels. I passed the Spanish 1 test and it counted as a high school grade. The teachers really care about the students. I would recommend this school to anyone!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 18, 2009

A word about the wonderful basketball program! There are teams for boys and girls for each grade, starting in kindergarten. The coaches are dedicated to teaching the children sportsmanship and a love of the game. I have two playing in the program right now and I am so thankful for the athletic assoc., coaches and teams! The extra-curricular activities at this school make it stand out about the rest... and the academic standards here are top-notch. Most importantly, St Pius X has all of this AND a Christ-centered curriculum (we are Episcopal) emphasizing character and virtues. This is a perfect fit for our family!

Posted July 22, 2008

St Pius X is an incredible school and focuses on education and discipline but is still in a family setting. All of the staff is wonderful!

Posted June 24, 2008

I was a previous student in St. Pius. I graduated in May, but i wish i had stayed in this school longer. It is such a great school. No matter what religion you are or what race you are excepted. The students, faculty, and staff and amazing. i don't regret anything from that school except that i didnt treasure all the time i had left. You are encouraged to do your best and become something. We are the only catholic school left that has nuns in our schools. Everyone there is very supportive for what you want to do. Everyone looks out for one another. I definately think more people should know about this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 1, 2008

This school is great! My son has attended St. Pius for 2 years now and I would not think of sending him anywhere else. The staff is wonderful! The students are polite and respectful (even to other children's parents - which I think is unusual today). The curriculum is challenging and I know he is getting a first class education. If you are not Catholic, no problem everyone is welcome at St. Pius. Before and after care and summer camp programs are excellent. The school really has a family feel. The only problem I have with St. Pius is that the school is not K-12!

Posted March 8, 2008

St Pius X School in Norfolk, is one of this region's best kept secrets. Highly skilled teachers, dedicated IHM sisters, an accredited curriculm, a small yet diverse student body, and a unbelievably strong community of families makes this 'neighborhood' school a true gift to our children. We've been a Pius Proud family for more than 6 years, and are grateful for the education, the sportsmanship, the friendships, and the love of this Christ-centered environment. In another couple years, our children will move on to high school, but we know the foundation laid at St Pius will serve them well the rest of their lives. We are grateful.

Posted January 20, 2008

What a gift this school is to my family! I was a single parent when my daughter started Pre K at Saint Pius. As you can imagine, I was very protective of her! Little did I know, I ended up sending her to school everyday with substitute Mommies. The love at Saint Pius to this day leaves me in awe. We are the least expensive Catholic School in Hampton Roads. I would pay any amount necessary to attend Saint Pius. The experience has been priceless for our family. The Saint Pius Community is a family, not just a dump off to educate your kids.

Posted January 14, 2008

SPX is a great place for our kids. The curriculum is advanced and complete, the other parents are easy to get along with and a lot like an extended family. I was welcomed easily as a newcomer. If you are looking for a traditional Catholic parish school, this is a perfect fit. Don't be surprised when you see a priest and a nun welcoming your kids in to the building in the morning. The priests and sisters do a great job with integrating the Catholic faith in the school, but our non-Catholic friends fit right in too. I do wish that the kids went to Mass every week, but it is strongly Catholic otherwise. I'm impressed with the teachers as well, who are advanced and certainly maintain high standards of learning.

Posted January 14, 2008

An excellent education in a Christ-Centered environment. The population is diverse so that it does not feel like a 'private' school. Very much like the Parochial education that I grew up with and wanted for my own children. Excellent preparation for competitive high school programs. Our students have been valedictorians 3 years in a row in area public high school academies and IB programs as well as meeting with success in academically challenging private high schools.

Posted January 13, 2008

This school rocks! Christian values permeate the school. There is no doubt the children are receiveing a first class education. The difference is the kids are offered so much more! Free after school activities including dance, reading, ranger rosary, art, and much more. The teachers and principal go above and beyond to make this a well-rounded christian educational environment for Catholics and other Christians alike. This extraordianary school also had the lowest tuition rate and most diversity of any of the Private Schools in Norfolk or Virginia Beach. My family is blessed to be part of this community.

Posted January 4, 2008

I love the school! I have two children there and they love going to SPX. My only problem is with the office staff...there is 1 person in the office that always has an attitude,or a look of disgust like your bothering her.Other than that it's a good school. I feel my children are being challenged, and there is a lot of concern for you children at this school whether it's coming from a teacher or another parent. I love the fact that we still have the nuns:), who are in the school as well, the staff is wonderful, Sister Linda has done a wonderful job fo the school along with VP Val Mossberg Mossberg. The children are very polite, and bad behavior is not accepted, great before and after school program..even during holiday breaks. Pius also offers a summer camp you can't beat that! Keep up the good work

Posted April 4, 2007

This school is a great environment for my kids. The Catholic teaching and strong academics make me proud to send both of my kids to St. Pius. Kids who graduate from SPX are well prepared for rigorous high school work.

Posted August 26, 2003

'Everything about this school is awesome! From the challenging curriculum to truly caring teachers, to a sharp enthusiastic principal that has a geniune love for education and the students. No doubt about it this school is hard, and may not be for everyone. Those that graduate from St. Pius will have a foundation for entry into the fine st universities. This is the 'Prep School' tradition at a Charter School price!'

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NSHDS
Fax number
  • (757) 587-6580

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Richmond