PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I taught at Pius for years. Overworked, underpaid by 25% compared to public schools. Little teacher professional development courses compared to public. special ed but expected to deal with it. Worked weekends, nights, called in over summer for what should be done during school year. Teachers hired to teach in fields not licensed for. Worked through lunches, no breaks some days at all. Ate .lunch in the classrooms every week and would then have recess duty quite often. Lack of leadership and poor communication. Compters rarely worked in the classrooms but nothing would be done for months on end. Yet, teachers were expected to use technology. Teachers had to teach computer/technology lessons without knowing hw ---Esppecially teachers not up to date in the technology requirements who are way past retirement age. I would never teach there again. Teachers set up, cooked, served, and cleaned for auction but not permitted to eat the food unless ticket was bought! Teachers are.not respected bt leafership or office staff but made to feel inferior.

First let me start by saying I was not looking for a private or a Catholic school when we decided on St. Pius. After a brief experience with the public school system here in Norfolk I knew we needed something different. Surprisingly the financial aid program offered was enough for us to make the switch. As the school year progressed my child showed us in every way the benefits of the structured education he received. In addition to now reading a full level above his grade, he loves school. Over the past 2 years we have seen him grow into a little man with integrity. Something extra that is worth every penny we have spent to send him there.

We have tried 3 Catholic schools in 3 years and St. PiusX is the best for our family! Very friendly, caring and supportive administration. Sister Linda, the Principal, is an amazing leader. Our child is so happy and is receiving an excellent education!

I was a student at St. Pius from pre-k through 8th grade. I was in no way the top student in my class at Pius and still I entered into all honors classes in high school. I was shocked when throughout last school year we learned what I already learned and mastered in 6th grade. I looked into the extra curricular activities that most colleges want and am able to fill my applications with extras and AP courses now. I had no idea I was getting such a great start through my St. Pius education.

Great School! We could not be happier with the school. Very caring faculty and staff.

I have three children in this school-over four years. The education is top-notch. The building is older except the new gym), but the teachers/staff are fantastic. My kids read way above grade level (one is reading three grades above his level). The math curriculum is very demanding and students not willing to WORK will not do well- the school demands engaged students and parents, and that is not a fit for every family. Students from this school fill IB programs in the best high schools around. If you are looking for a school, ask where the former students are now going to college. From here you'll see the best schools (MIT, for example) . We just had a student win a national aeronautics contest sponsored by NASA. My kids have played sports and we've had coaches who teach a love of sport and a respect for players and the game.

I disagree with the 'glowing' comments made about St. Pius X School. This school is anything but 'glowing'. They lack in the education department in just about all subjects in all the grades. The sports aren't about teaching the children anything but how much their parents can kiss the bottoms of coaches and staff to get ahead. Values aren't taught they are shoved down your throat. Spanish is not accredited and does not carry over to most other schools. If your child is not Catholic, they will not be recognized for anything. The building itself is very old. So are the books and other materials used for learning. I cannot recommend this school.

I graduated from St. Pius X and love this school. The teachers were tough but fair. The sports programs were really great and all kids were included no matter what their skill levels. I passed the Spanish 1 test and it counted as a high school grade. The teachers really care about the students. I would recommend this school to anyone!

A word about the wonderful basketball program! There are teams for boys and girls for each grade, starting in kindergarten. The coaches are dedicated to teaching the children sportsmanship and a love of the game. I have two playing in the program right now and I am so thankful for the athletic assoc., coaches and teams! The extra-curricular activities at this school make it stand out about the rest... and the academic standards here are top-notch. Most importantly, St Pius X has all of this AND a Christ-centered curriculum (we are Episcopal) emphasizing character and virtues. This is a perfect fit for our family!

St Pius X is an incredible school and focuses on education and discipline but is still in a family setting. All of the staff is wonderful!

Last modified St Pius X School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8