The Williams School

Private | K-8

Living in Norfolk

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $315,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Sweep tile

Posted December 17, 2012

I am currently going tothis school and it has been an awesome experiance! This is my last year here and gradutation to come will be a bitter sweet event. I dont want to leave The Williams School but I do want to move on and fullfill my dreams, i am positive that The Williams School is and will be a big chunk in how I succeed. For all those who are thinking about sending your child there you should DEFINATLEY do it!! "Honors Before Honors"- The motto is so right and every student abides by it. ~Micayla Gooden ~ 8th Grade ~ Age:14~ The Williams School`

Posted December 20, 2011

I went to this school from 1st until 8th grade. I am now a Junior in college and have made the dean's list 3 out of 4 semesters. Although my Williams Experience was pretty good the school has deeply dropped off since then. Bart Baldwin was the best headmaster anybody could ask for but after he left the school just started welcoming in students that had lots of money in their family rather the child was smart or not. Most of the children had very many social issues and could not keep up with the real world at any point. The teachers also played favorites and told the students how hard high school was actually going to be. I went to another private high school and it wasnot easier but the amount of homework was much more reasonable. There is obviously a reason why the teachers that had been teaching there for over ten years left the school. If you are looking to send your child to a private school and get a good social experience I would much more recommend Norfolk Collegiate or Norfolk Academy. i am sorry to say to say that this school has gone down the tubes and is not the family experienc it used to once be

Posted June 13, 2011

I went to the Williams School for 5 years and loved it. I liked that everybody there was like family. We had fun while getting a very good education that got me ready for my school I am going to right now. I also like that TWS is in two old but nice houses because it makes the school more home-y and makes kids feel less nervous about starting there. They have a big/little thing where starting in 5th grade you get a buddy that is in kindergarten or 1st grade and you help them read and get used to the longer days and school atmosphere. It goes on to when the 8th graders are bigs to the 4th graders. It's really worth it to go there and get the education and family feeling that the Williams School provides for you

Posted February 21, 2011

My daughter graduated from TWS and benefited immensly by the academic preparation she received. We have another daughter, who is receiving a great education as well. The teachers at TWS are there for the students, whether to tutor or talk to them, they are involved in the students life. The parents are welcomed and many events are sponsored to involve the parents more. Extended family is also welcomed. The leadership has been an important part of the schools success and we are sorry for the upcoming changes. However we are hopeful that the traditions and ideas will continue onto the next chapter of TWS.

Posted March 25, 2010

The Williams School continues to exceed my already high expectations. It has challenged my kids academically (they are being taught curricula above their respective grade levels in courses in which they are ready for more!), provided a great athletic program for my 5th grade son in which he's already playing on some of the school's sports teams, and encouraged them to be respectful and knowledgeable citizens of our world. All of this in a truly unique environment in which everyone is like family. I love the kids, the teachers, the faculty and the parents...and our school dog!

Posted March 22, 2010

Williams has been the perfect school for our children. The teachers, staff, and head of school have positively influenced all aspects of our children's lives. Their growth has been amazing both academically and socially. You need to look beyond the fact that the school is small. The opportunities offered to all students are much more expansive than one might think could be offered in such a home like, family setting. The values taught are of the highest ideals and truly speak to the school's motto of 'Honor before Honors'. I believe that our children will be successful both in school and in their lives because of the experience they are having at The Williams School.

Posted July 14, 2009

Williams is a great school. I went there from kingdergarten through eighth grade. The classes were small, which is really fun when you in elementary school, but gets annoying when you in middle school. Everyone in my class got along and were all friends. While I was a student at Williams, I never thought that my classes were very hard or challenging, b/c i didn't know anything else. However, when i got to high school, I realized how ahead and more prepared I was then my peers. My freshman and most of my sophomore years were great b/c i never stressed out about school, due to the strong foundation Williams gave me. People from Academy, Collegiate, and Blair would joke us alot, but I think they were just jealous! Oh, and we went to Disney World in eighth grade...pretty cool.

Posted February 23, 2009

Excellent school in every way!

Posted November 25, 2008

Williams is an excellent school. It combines both a nurturing environment with rigorous academic standards. Williams truly focuses on the whole child. And their 'Everyone Plays' approach ensures no one is left behind.

Posted November 14, 2008

This school beautifully succeeds in its goal to educate the whole child. I truly lives up to its motto of 'Honor Before Honors' where children learn to be true to themselves and their community. An alternative independent school in a non-institutional environment (2 historic homes) with a family-like atmosphere where 'you wish YOU went to school!'

Posted October 26, 2008

Williams is an extraordinary school. I have three children attending and their academic, artistic, civic and social experience has been exceptional. Most parents send their children to WIlliams for the accelerated academics. The small size allows for caring academic scrutiny of each and every child. I send my children to WIlliams because the school focuses on civic leadership, character and integrity. 'Honor before honors' is not just a motto, it is the school's mission. Children who attend Williams K-8 go on to the best high schools and succeed academically and socially because they were taught to be excellent students and leaders. There are very few schools in this country as special as The Williams School.

Posted September 30, 2008

The Williams School was the very best choice we ever could have made for our children. Very different from each other, one is a biologist who has published research at EVMS, and the other is an award-winning graphic artist in the Washington, DC market. The Williams School was ideal for each. The school's philosophy of nurturing each child, teaching to a student's strengths, and modeling honorable behavior helped them develop an absolute confidence in their own abilities and an enthusiasm for tackling any challenge. A small school, it gave them HUGE advantages, which carried them through their next school, where they excelled in academics and varsity sports, to college, and beyond to their very successful adult lives. The friends they made at The Williams School have sustained and remained close lifelong relationships. Parents are welcome at the school at any time, which allowed us to participate in their lives. Excellent!

Posted March 19, 2008

I attended the school from 1st grade all the way up until 8th grade. I am going to tell you exactly how this school really is. The school was very easy until sixth grade. Then the teachers would give impossible vocab tests with test and projects every note. The teachers would always ramble about responsibility and how hard the classes would be in high school. When I got to another private school in high school I found out that high school was completely different then they said it would be. Homework counts way to much at Williams and it was not necessary to do to get a good grade on the tests. The social life there was great for my grade but it seemed after my grade it dropped off and all that the admissions was interested in was the parents money and donations. Real world experience in public school.

Posted February 17, 2008

I went to school here for two years and I hated every day of it. Teachers play favorites, there is no discipline and the kids are spoiled brats. I love how they advertise this 'school' (if you can call it that) as 'fun! Every day's a sparkleigh adventure with marshmallows and chocolate jimmies on top!' Um, no. It's not. It's too small, and by the time I graduated, I wanted to rip my fellow students heads off. My advice? Do your research and spend your 10K on another school. Best wishes!

Posted December 7, 2007

I'll give my opinions for parents considering it for their 6-8 graders. -Cliques. Probably the worst problem at this school. Unless you have something they want, these kids won't be all that welcoming. -Classes are mediocre. Teachers are somewhat biased, i.e., playing favorites. The amount of homework is insane. (It really is, we're talking 2-2.5 hrs a night.) -No extracurriculars. I don't know how that got five stars, there aren't any, except for soccer, tennis, volleyball and basketball. Hope you like those, it's all you get.

Posted August 17, 2007

The Williams school is a great enviroment for learning and all the children and teachers there are so helpful and have great personalities.

Posted November 29, 2006

My son went to this school for one year. While it was definitely better than the local public school choices, I would not choose it over the public school we are now in. My son was in the 4th grade. His teacher appeared not to like him very much. If he was having trouble in anything and I told him to ask for help from his teacher, he would say he was afraid to and she would get mad at him. My son is bright and she stated that he was average yet he always had A's and B's on his report card. He is now testing for the gifted program at his new public school and always talks about school when he comes home.

Posted May 5, 2005

The Willy house is sweet and great fun for people who don't like public schools. the teachers are great and my years being there are always going to be remebered. all my best buds went there and it was the best eight years of my life. I love the williams school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 3, 2004

TWS is in the midst of a spectacular renaissance. Housed in a victorian home in Ghent, the school recently purchased another home across the street and renovated it into a beautiful Humanities Center featuring an art loft, refectory and library/media center. TWS faculty are truly exceptional. Their skill is reflected in the success of students who excel in public and independent high schools throughout the region, many rising to the tops of their graduating classes and attending leading colleges and universities nationwide. TWS is a welcoming community for students of all ethnicities and is an exceptional learning environment for children who will grow into a world that is increasingly interdependent. There are many ways to measure a child: in standardized tests, in kindness and care and in integrity. TWS students excel across the board and carry their motto: 'honor before honors' throughout their lives. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted February 4, 2004

I attended the Williams School from 1985 to 1993. Although the social atmosphere of the school was not the most welcoming, and although the school did have its religious leanings (Christian prayer at assemblies, etc.), I graduated with a strong sense of ethics and personal responsibility. The school's motto, 'Honor before honors,' affects every part of my life and helps me to make what I believe are the right decisions every day. From adopting a vegetarian lifestyle to letting someone merge into traffic, I try to lead a moral, ethical existence, and the lessons I learned at Williams School are a large part of the choices I make. Additionally, it is impossible to escape academic scrutiny in such a small school, and I learned not only my lessons, but also how to learn new lessons as they present themselves. We all have our troubles in school, but I look back with mostly fond feelings at the eight years I spent at Williams.
—Submitted by a former student

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

419 Colonial Ave