No rating

Ocean View Christian Academy

Private | PK-8 | 70 students

We are best known for academic excellence! Also high achievement scores.

Living in Norfolk

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $151,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

My son is in third grade and attended last year for second grade as well. My son has excelled in all areas, academically and personally. The teachers, principal, assistant principal and the entire staff, all whom work there are caring, wonderful people who want the best for each child. My son loves going to school. The teaching and curriculum makes sense and results in learning that is impressive and has exceeded our expectations. My son is safe and I have peace of mind that he is cared for and protected. This school is a huge blessing for our family. The teachers go above and beyond to make sure each child is successful. They see each child as individuals and engage the students in a way that makes learning exciting. Don't be fooled by other school's bells and whistles. I feel this truly is the best school in the area! The small class size is a huge bonus! They have a great recycling program that helps kids understand that recycling is important. They have spirit week each year which is so much fun for the kids. They really do a lot of special things throughout the year for the kids that the kids really have fun with and appreciate. I recommend this school without hesitation!

Posted April 8, 2014

My daughter is in the 2 year old Pre-K class and has begun reading 3 letter words. The time that each of the teachers take with each student is remarkable!

Posted April 7, 2014

OVCA is an excellent place for a PreK foundation to get my kids started on their education. Both my children have had wonderful teachers. Now I am privileged to work there myself. The staff truly cares for each child and adult that has an association with the school.

Posted April 7, 2014

With a comitment to learning and to the lord our school is awesome! They are always doing fun things with the kids comming up with creative education. Our daughter loves her teachers and so do we. They keep us informed of everything going on with news letters, emails both from teachers and administrative personel. They provide a safe and friendly environment both for school and church. After care oportunities, field trips, and a school of the arts all available under one roof! There truelly a blessing, and helpful. Parent involvment is very important to them, and help provide needs for the school through donation and fundraising. We love OVCA!!

Posted February 10, 2014

When we first moved to VA we looked for a school and this one stood out. Very small school with the average being 10 kids per class

Posted February 7, 2014

AMAZING SCHOOL! My husband and I have had our child in this Academy for about two years now. We love the atmosphere and everyone (Parents and Teachers) really do care for our family. The academy is Military friendly and understands the struggles the parents and students can go through with the military lifestyle. Last year when my husband deployed, one of the teachers placed a map to track the parents on deployment so all the children can talk about it and realized that their friends are going through the same thing. We have never felt more welcome to be a part of something then I do here. It s one of the best decisions we have ever made for our child.

Posted April 11, 2013

Both of my children have been attending OVCA for the past 4 years. I love the caring, nurturing environment that they are in daily and my daughter has progressed so much more than she ever did in the public education system. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a Christ centered education for their children.

Posted March 22, 2012

Selecting this school for our 2 1/2 year old was the best decision my husband and I ever made. After a month enrolled the school, I realized how glorified babysitting at a daycare was not a good option. The Pre-K program has taught her to listen, take direction, count, and identify letters, know all colors and shapes, it's amazing! The structure is actually the best part, children crave structure and our daughter shows it, I have not had any issues dropping her off in the morning, she loves it! The uniforms have been very easy for myself as well, I don't have to think about what she's going to wear each day and 5 uniforms are suitably for all seasons.

Posted March 11, 2012

I have two little ones in the Pre-K program one in Pre-K 2 1/2 and one in Pre-K 4. My "baby" is counting everything, and recognizes almost all her letters and the years not even over!! My pre-K 4 year old CAN READ!!! I am not saying she can sit down and read a novel by any means BUT she can read simple books like "i like stars" she learns so much from her teacher i cant say enough!

Posted November 20, 2011

My son 3 year old attended this school for about 2 months and my husband and I felt it wasn't a good fit for him. He was expected to sit down and do classwork but he wasn't ready for this type of structure. When we would pick him up we would get negative feedback from his teacher ("he had a terrible day" or "he was horrible"). The overall environment was nurturing and the other parents seemed to appreciate it. I had a hard time with my perceived lack of flexibility.

Posted June 8, 2011

My view of OVCA is it's Christian school that is founded in family and community values. The PreK-3 program provides an introduction to daily school routines in a fun, supportive & caring way, as the students are introduced to the basics of learning. The PreK-4 program provides an academic education that makes learning fun & exciting as the students learn to read & write count, add & subtract along with experiencing basic science & art. The Kind. through 6th grades creat a challenging, yet rewarding academic program, where the students test out one to two grades advanced of their present class year.The school on a whole is involved in reclycling programs and various fund raisers.

Posted June 7, 2011

i am a former student of ocean view christian academy and I highly reccomend this school to anyone who wants their child to have a good education and surround themselves with people who genuinelly care about you and your children.

Posted June 4, 2011

As a previous teacher with 2 children that have been in the academy, I find that everyone is highly qualified and willing and able to go above and beyond the call of duty. Both of my children have tested on their achievement tests in the 90th percentile and above. Academics are a high priority at this school. Christ is number one in the heart of the teachers and the leadership. I would recommend this school to everyone.

Posted June 3, 2011

My son is becoming a caring and responsible young man because of the "village" at OVCA. He has responded to the teachers and staff in a way that truly has blessed our whole family. Thank you OVCA for all you have done already. We are looking forward to next school year.

Posted June 2, 2011

My child has attended OVCA for the past five years, and has blossomed since the very beginning. Compared to the education and support he received in public school, his growth both spiritually, educationally, and socially at OVCA has been amazing. The loving staff of teachers and volunteers has made OVCA as much a family as an excellent educational institution.

Posted June 1, 2011

My children went to Ocean View Christian Academy for one year. If the military had not moved us from the area we would still be there. The education was top notch and the teaching staff and administration went far beyond what we expected of them. The teachers did an excellent job in the class room and both of my children were ahead of their classmates when they moved on to their next school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for QUALITY CHRISTIAN EDUCATION. Compared to the larger private schools in the area, their prices were excellent., and I highly recommend you check them out!

Posted June 1, 2011

I am a parent of two children attending OCVA. One is in Pre-K and the other in 6th grade. Both children have had excellent opportunities for growth and success provided by their teachers and administrators. Quoted from my 6th grader, "I like my school because of the small numbers and challenging curriculum. I am able to get the help I need if something is hard for me. I also like the activities we do. My teacher cares about us and about our success!" Quoted from my Pre-Kinder, "I like playing with my friends and all the fun stuff we do!" All-in-all I have to say we are pleased and continue to support OCVA.

Posted June 1, 2011

I am a proud parent of an OVCA preK student. I boast to everyone about the quality of education my child has received. I have watched my child's skills, both social and educational blossom in this past year. We are excited for the next school year to begin. OVCA has wonderful teachers and staff alike that care not only about the student, but also about the parents and other family members. I am proud to be a member of the OVCA community.

Posted June 1, 2011

Ocean View Christian Academy (OVCA) has been a blessing sent from God to our family. My grandson came to live with us when he was in the sixth grade; He is now completing the 11th grade this June. OVCA is a small family of caring people; the church members, pastors, Welcome Center volunteers, staff, former staff, teachers and former teachers have helped my grandson become successful academically, spiritually, and feel a part of this "extended family". Thanks to OVCA, my grandson scored Post Highschool (PST) on all of his recent Stanford Academic tests. He plans to go to college after next year, his senior year at OVCA.

Posted March 4, 2010

I have had both of my children at the academy for over 5 years. I am very pleased with their education. The teachers are very qualified and have a very caring attitude toward the children. I have found that this attitude goes beyond the school hours. If a child is behind in a subject, many times they are willing to stay after school hours and tutor children in their work. I would recommend this school to any who wants a christian education for their child.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Amy Dunnavant
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.ovcacademy.com
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
Fax number
  • (757) 583-5706

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• ABEKA Curriculum
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor