PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Agree

The type and amount of homework is appropriate at each grade level.

Our family has had a wonderful experience at GMS. We initially started our child in Children’s House because we needed daycare and we wanted some type of preschool program rather than just babysitting. In the Children’s House and Elementary work cycles, my child’s natural curiosity was nurtured and she began to enjoy the process of learning. She developed social skills, respect for herself and others, and self-discipline. Through the Upper Elementary and Middle School work cycles, my child developed organization and time management skills, critical thinking skills, and a genuine love of learning. The teachers and staff were always helpful and supportive throughout all phases of my child’s development.

GMS has been a second family for our child for over six years. Our experience has always been positive. The teachers are dedicated to raising happy, curious and studious children. Students learn politeness and respect by taking example from the teachers who never humiliate them. There is no bullying because the kids feel loved by the adults. This love impacts the relationships between the children. Our daughter's classmates are like her brothers and sisters. Whenever our child had occasional conflicts with other children, the teachers went out of their way to turn the conflicts into learning experience about respectful behavior. Our child studied with Ms. Joni, the teacher at Children House 2. She is a legendary figure at GMS. We understood the depth of her work once, when our child was sick and stayed at home. She was so sad to miss school that she reconstructed a work cycle with her dolls playing the role of Ms. Joni. She taught the dolls writing, math, geography, music and so many things with such a loving voice. I then understood how fortunate we were to be able to send her to such a wonderful school. By the time she started first grade, our daughter was already accustomed to be an independent, self-motivated student. Ms. Ruland, lower elementary 1 teacher, taught her to follow her curiosity and gave her skills of order, systematic work and meticulousness. Ms. Ruland’s artistic soul is imprinted in our daughter who still feels the need to keep beautiful notebooks. Ms. Ruland also continued cultivating respect and politeness. Ms. Kelli, upper elementary teacher, is equally an outstanding educator. In addition to knowledge, she teaches confidence, organization, discipline and deep love of learning. Our daughter cites daily the sentences of wisdom Ms. Kelli says in class. I could go on and on praising also the other teachers and staff. Each of them has positive influence on the development of our child. Ms. Suzanne, the head of school, should be particularly praised for leading such a great team. She is always attentive to our needs with endless patience, goodwill, and dedication. To reply to a previous comment, GMS indeed has no gymnasium and the playground isn’t the biggest. But it has warm, nurturing, peaceful, stimulating and so many more important qualities that bring people to drive their children daily to GMS from all over Hampton Roads.

Our child started here at 2 years old. He flourished until the middle of his kindergarten year in children's house two. He began informing us he was having bad days. So as concerned parents we started watching through the schools observation window. Let me add that whenever we were informed or wittnessed improper or naughty behavior we would guide our child appropriately. What we observed from the director, the administrative staff and resource teachers was disturbing. The director rarely acknowledged us when we came in and we had written a formal complaint and never heard from her, the administrative staff wore jeans, flip flops when there was a uniform policy, and daily brought a dog into school. On one observation we witnessed a resource teacher have our child get up from the circle lesson, sit in a chair away from the others, then told him to turn his back from the lesson. All this because he was moving about and making a clucking noise. She did not give him the choice or invite him back. The children's house two teacher did go and sit with him after 10 mins. We promptly wrote a complaint about the situation. We never heard from the director or the administrative staff. At the end of the week the children's house two teacher had a 5 min chat with me about the write up. On another occasion I had a resource teacher tell me our child was acting up in class, she felt he was a problem, he was frustrated with the lesson, competitive and made him sit on the bench. Another resource teacher was going back to gms and decided he would go back to children's house two. We were so close to the end of the year it just wasn't worth writing up. I wish I had more positive things to say about this school. I do feel the children's house two teachers are doing the very best they can with the amount of students they all had. When considering this school keep in mind that the children have to walk across a busy street for art, there is no gymnasium for those long rainy days and the resource teachers seemed to be harsh and outdated when it comes to correctional actions.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There was little to no homework for my kindergartener. The occasional learning to read books.

I can't recommend this school. The teachers are OK, except for one who makes passive aggressive comments. Our child has health problems and we have not received any support from the staff, the head of the school in particular. I won't get into details, but in my opinion she has acted extremely unprofessionally and immaturely. I'm very sorry we enrolled our child in this school.

Our daughter has ADHD and this school is excellent for her academic and social development and her sense of self-esteem. She is excited by what she is learning and comes home wanting to learn even more. This is in direct contrast to being discouraged by extra worksheets and constant negative behavior reports from the traditional/heavily rules-based school she attended previously. Ghent Montessori allows our daughter the freedom to move as needed and to work at a comfortable pace that encourages her curiousity and love of learning. Bravo!

My grandson attends this school and he loves it alot. Our family is pleased with his development. Anita Dickens was his Toddler teacher. Its great to see a teacher who really enjoys her work and its evident in the children who are in her care. I want to thank her and the administration for this great experience. I look forward to his continued sucess in childrens house.

My child attended this school from toddler to 3 years old. He enjoyed the toddler program and he initially seemed to enjoy Children's House 2. He was learning sounds and was excited about exploring the classroom. At some point things took a turn for the worst. His teacher had nothing positive to say about him, his behavior was deteriorating and he was no longer learning. During conferences w/his teacher, she was emotionless, spoke negatively about him and had a nonchalant attitude about his progress. He was isolated in the classroom, disrespected, physically abused, called names, not allowed to interact w/other children and discouraged to explore the classroom. Once we removed him from this school, he blossomed and his behavior changed dramatically. He has matured beyond belief. He is now attending another Montessori school in the area, and they have nothing but good things to say about him and his progress is unbelievable. Just knowing what my child experienced in this school makes me sick to my stomach. How could a so called experienced teacher treat a child with such distain? This teacher will definitely REAP WHAT SHE HAS SOWED!!

I just started my 2 year old at GMS and he loves it. He's very fond of his teachers which to me is the most important aspect. They make him feel comfortable and loved, giving him plenty of individual attention. I also love the montessori method. It fosters independence and curiosity in the world around them. This is a great school and I highly reccomend it.

Last modified Ghent Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8