PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 23, 2016
Our child started here at 2 years old. He flourished until the middle of his kindergarten year in children's house two. He began informing us he was having bad days. So as concerned parents we started watching through the schools observation window. Let me add that whenever we were informed or wittnessed improper or naughty behavior we would guide our child appropriately. What we observed from the director, the administrative staff and resource teachers was disturbing. The director rarely acknowledged us when we came in and we had written a formal complaint and never heard from her, the administrative staff wore jeans, flip flops when there was a uniform policy, and daily brought a dog into school. On one observation we witnessed a resource teacher have our child get up from the circle lesson, sit in a chair away from the others, then told him to turn his back from the lesson. All this because he was moving about and making a clucking noise. She did not give him the choice or invite him back. The children's house two teacher did go and sit with him after 10 mins. We promptly wrote a complaint about the situation. We never heard from the director or the administrative staff. At the end of the week the children's house two teacher had a 5 min chat with me about the write up. On another occasion I had a resource teacher tell me our child was acting up in class, she felt he was a problem, he was frustrated with the lesson, competitive and made him sit on the bench. Another resource teacher was going back to gms and decided he would go back to children's house two. We were so close to the end of the year it just wasn't worth writing up. I wish I had more positive things to say about this school. I do feel the children's house two teachers are doing the very best they can with the amount of students they all had. When considering this school keep in mind that the children have to walk across a busy street for art, there is no gymnasium for those long rainy days and the resource teachers seemed to be harsh and outdated when it comes to correctional actions.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 21, 2016
Children's house two teacher. Thank you for your dedication and hard work with our child.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 21, 2016
There was little to no homework for my kindergartener. The occasional learning to read books.

Posted December 20, 2014
I can't recommend this school. The teachers are OK, except for one who makes passive aggressive comments. Our child has health problems and we have not received any support from the staff, the head of the school in particular. I won't get into details, but in my opinion she has acted extremely unprofessionally and immaturely. I'm very sorry we enrolled our child in this school.

Posted October 10, 2013
Our daughter has ADHD and this school is excellent for her academic and social development and her sense of self-esteem. She is excited by what she is learning and comes home wanting to learn even more. This is in direct contrast to being discouraged by extra worksheets and constant negative behavior reports from the traditional/heavily rules-based school she attended previously. Ghent Montessori allows our daughter the freedom to move as needed and to work at a comfortable pace that encourages her curiousity and love of learning. Bravo!

Posted July 01, 2011
My grandson attends this school and he loves it alot. Our family is pleased with his development. Anita Dickens was his Toddler teacher. Its great to see a teacher who really enjoys her work and its evident in the children who are in her care. I want to thank her and the administration for this great experience. I look forward to his continued sucess in childrens house.

Posted March 09, 2011
My child attended this school from toddler to 3 years old. He enjoyed the toddler program and he initially seemed to enjoy Children's House 2. He was learning sounds and was excited about exploring the classroom. At some point things took a turn for the worst. His teacher had nothing positive to say about him, his behavior was deteriorating and he was no longer learning. During conferences w/his teacher, she was emotionless, spoke negatively about him and had a nonchalant attitude about his progress. He was isolated in the classroom, disrespected, physically abused, called names, not allowed to interact w/other children and discouraged to explore the classroom. Once we removed him from this school, he blossomed and his behavior changed dramatically. He has matured beyond belief. He is now attending another Montessori school in the area, and they have nothing but good things to say about him and his progress is unbelievable. Just knowing what my child experienced in this school makes me sick to my stomach. How could a so called experienced teacher treat a child with such distain? This teacher will definitely REAP WHAT SHE HAS SOWED!!

Posted July 09, 2008
I just started my 2 year old at GMS and he loves it. He's very fond of his teachers which to me is the most important aspect. They make him feel comfortable and loved, giving him plenty of individual attention. I also love the montessori method. It fosters independence and curiosity in the world around them. This is a great school and I highly reccomend it.

Posted November 11, 2004
My 4 year daughter has attended Children's House 2 since August. I wish we had know more about the school and the program last year. We would have had her there from the first moment she was eligible. We absolutely love the school and the program. The method is tailor made for our little one. She is blossoming before our eyes. I would highly recommend GMS and the Montessori Method to anyone who is interested. I agree with the other review that it is well worth the money.

Posted May 12, 2004
My 3 year old attends GMS and I love it. It is such a child friendly building and has observation rooms so that at anytime a parent can watch their little one. I feel very safe with my daughter in the care of her teacher, Michelle, who is so sweet and loving with the children. They teach the Montessori method, which is different and very benefical for little ones who can get exposed early (toddlers). Everyday is seems they go out and play on one of the playgrounds, paint, wash babydolls in the tub, sit 2 at the table and selfserve themselves snack, play with geometric shapes and have group time. It is worth the cost!

610 Mowbray Arch, Norfolk, VA  23507
Last modified Ghent Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8