K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We had a fabulous experience. Our oldest went to a top 50 college in the ACC on a 75% scholarship. Our youngest was diagnosed 3 different times with learning disabilities. With Norfolk Collegiate great Learning Resource Center she was able to overcome the disabilities. She went to George Mason University and graduate with a 3.2 GPA and in just 4 years.

I switched my son from one private school to another. Because of that people often ask me why and what I like about the school. My response is not just that I believe my child is getting a premier education, but in addition, I have never seen a private school make diversity and community a top priority. Those two elements are prevalent and make this environment one of the healthiest places I've seen in a long time for a student to thrive in.

We hav been at NCS for two years. Great kids. Great teachers. Great administrators. Great academics. What's not to love?

Unfortunately all the reviews that rate this school one and two star are very accurate. You (the student and parent) only get the interaction that every parent deserves if you are from the area and an alumni of the school, you donate money to the school, or you are a child of a teacher at the school. This environment is very toxic if you are not part of the established community. Everyone pays the high tuition required for their child to have the best education and experience. Therefore, everyone should receive the same attention. Additionally, the "cliqueyness" of this school is disheartening. The environment is toxic unless you are one of the special few! Don't send your child here!! Spend your money doing something beneficial to your child’s future.

I deeply regret enrolling my children in this school. I could have saved a lot of money if I had just sent them to one of the good local public schools or gotten a better value for the money at one of the other private schools. For the money spent, I expected my children to receive a better educatoinal experience and to have a more responsive teaching and administrative staff but such was not the case unless you are major donor to the school.

Bottom line is this school isn't worth the price tag and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't send my kids here. For the upper school, there has been too much turnover in recent years in key administrators and a number of faculty which has taken the heart out of this school, in my opinion. Most of the teachers seem interested in doing only the minimum. Small class sizes are not an advantage when a teacher doesn't make the material interesting or accessible; the mark of a great teacher isn't how hard it is to get a good grade in the class but rather how the teacher makes difficult material seem easy. If the school really wanted to do better, they should have both students and parents give feedback on teachers, courses and facilities annually. They seem to not really care beyond getting the check.

When we moved to Norfolk 14 years ago, my oldest son started kindergarten at Norfolk Collegiate. His years throughout the lower, middle, and upper school have been a wonderful experience, as they have been for his siblings. NC has offered them challenging academics in an environment that is caring and nurturing. The teachers are excellent and the variety of course offerings is amazing. There are many leadership opportunities, whether in school or through the many extracurricular, sports, or arts programs offered. The college counseling office offers tremendous support and guidance. Now with my oldest a freshman at UVA, I realize that he could not have been better prepared. I can confidently say that NC is the best choice you can make when looking for a school!

After attending this school for many years, it is clear that Norfolk Collegiate provides an excellent educational environment that encourages students to think for themselves. While it can be challenging, students quickly develop a strong work ethic at a young age. Additionally, teachers frequently go out of their way to support students academically and beyond. There are plenty of leadership opportunities and great college counselors. Collegiate combines innovative and traditional teaching methods to produce the most well rounded students in Hampton Roads. Over the past few years, the school built a new Center for the Arts and introduced smart boards into the Lower, Middle, and Upper schools. This year, the school will be using 3-D printers and students in grades 6-12 will each have an iPad. On a more personal note, the students at Norfolk Collegiate are genuinely kind. This bond between the "NoCo" community is one that cannot be found in other schools throughout this region.

Norfolk Collegiate I recently moved to a different part of Virginia and was finally introduced to the real world. Norfolk Collegiate has clueless parents, spoiled children, and an over sheltering staff. Some of the teachers are good, yet when I took math 7, my math teacher taught us NOTHING. She showed only us completely useless power points, so I had to rely on my parents to teach me the subject. It was not a very challenging school except for the 7th grade science teacher who taught the material extraordinarily well. If you are planning to go to this school I advise against all of these "five star reviews." Unless you want your child to attend a school that is "cliquey", has poor education, and you plan on buying your child top of the line Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister clothes, I advise that you buy a house in Virginia Beach. Your child will develop better social skills, more confidence, and he/she will have more competition in sports not to mention the better education. If you are stuck living in Norfolk I wish you luck in finding a truly, good school, I hope that my review will assist you if you are trying to find a school for your child. Best of luck, previous student.

The way you want school to be!!!!!! Happy empowered teachers challenging kids in a variety of learning environments. Small classes (20 or less THRU high school). Children gives choices in assignments to fit their learning style. PE everyday. Awesome healthy lunches. Great resource and elective classes. Nurturing environment where teachers are accessible and stay in touch. Can't say enough great things. The school keeps getting better and better.

Last modified Norfolk Collegiate School is a Private school that serves grades K-12