Norfolk, VA

Posted January 13, 2015
When we moved to Norfolk 14 years ago, my oldest son started kindergarten at Norfolk Collegiate. His years throughout the lower, middle, and upper school have been a wonderful experience, as they have been for his siblings. NC has offered them challenging academics in an environment that is caring and nurturing. The teachers are excellent and the variety of course offerings is amazing. There are many leadership opportunities, whether in school or through the many extracurricular, sports, or arts programs offered. The college counseling office offers tremendous support and guidance. Now with my oldest a freshman at UVA, I realize that he could not have been better prepared. I can confidently say that NC is the best choice you can make when looking for a school!

Posted August 19, 2014
After attending this school for many years, it is clear that Norfolk Collegiate provides an excellent educational environment that encourages students to think for themselves. While it can be challenging, students quickly develop a strong work ethic at a young age. Additionally, teachers frequently go out of their way to support students academically and beyond. There are plenty of leadership opportunities and great college counselors. Collegiate combines innovative and traditional teaching methods to produce the most well rounded students in Hampton Roads. Over the past few years, the school built a new Center for the Arts and introduced smart boards into the Lower, Middle, and Upper schools. This year, the school will be using 3-D printers and students in grades 6-12 will each have an iPad. On a more personal note, the students at Norfolk Collegiate are genuinely kind. This bond between the "NoCo" community is one that cannot be found in other schools throughout this region.

Norfolk Collegiate School 1

Posted March 18, 2014
Norfolk Collegiate I recently moved to a different part of Virginia and was finally introduced to the real world. Norfolk Collegiate has clueless parents, spoiled children, and an over sheltering staff. Some of the teachers are good, yet when I took math 7, my math teacher taught us NOTHING. She showed only us completely useless power points, so I had to rely on my parents to teach me the subject. It was not a very challenging school except for the 7th grade science teacher who taught the material extraordinarily well. If you are planning to go to this school I advise against all of these "five star reviews." Unless you want your child to attend a school that is "cliquey", has poor education, and you plan on buying your child top of the line Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister clothes, I advise that you buy a house in Virginia Beach. Your child will develop better social skills, more confidence, and he/she will have more competition in sports not to mention the better education. If you are stuck living in Norfolk I wish you luck in finding a truly, good school, I hope that my review will assist you if you are trying to find a school for your child. Best of luck, previous student.

Posted January 08, 2014
The way you want school to be!!!!!! Happy empowered teachers challenging kids in a variety of learning environments. Small classes (20 or less THRU high school). Children gives choices in assignments to fit their learning style. PE everyday. Awesome healthy lunches. Great resource and elective classes. Nurturing environment where teachers are accessible and stay in touch. Can't say enough great things. The school keeps getting better and better.

Posted November 25, 2013
We have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader at Norfolk Collegiate Lower School, and they have attended since kindergarten. In this area, choosing a school can be a daunting task. We chose and have stuck with NCS due to the community of the school. Our children are not just one of many, they are an incorporated part of the school. Each child knows and interacts with students from all grade levels - both older and younger than they are. The teachers and faculty know each student's personality and watch him/her grow. There was some re-organization at the Lower School of teachers this past year, and it has been for the best of the students and parents. There are many opportunities for the students to become involved - from SCA to violin to science club to tennis. NCS emphasizes the entire student, not just the academics, but also the citizenship of the child in the world.

Posted November 24, 2013
Academically tailored to our child with a warm caring environment, our child loves Norfolk Collegiate. She has been to other schools over her academic career and this one is the tops. Teachers who care, a staff who knows each child individually and an administration with a vision for the future. Parent involvement can be whatever level you want it to be.

Posted November 21, 2013
We have two children in school at Norfolk Collegiate and have loved it! They have a very caring and nurturing environment and a true "family" feel. The teachers have been incredible at personalizing instruction an have truly inspired success. For a school this size they have a remarkable number of unique opportunities in the classroom as well as extra-curricular offerings.

Posted October 20, 2013
My oldest son has been at Norfolk Collegiate since kindergarten, and is now a third grader. My youngest has just started kindergarten. They are both thriving in the warm, caring environment provided by the faculty and staff. The small class size allows the teachers to work individually with the students. They can provide extra challenges or extra assistance as needed. The teachers are always available to talk with my husband and I about any questions or concerns that we may have. Most importantly, my children are excited to go to school and feel part of a community there. They have made wonderful friends at the lower school, and have also had the opportunity to interact with older students at the middle and upper schools who have become role models for them.

Posted October 16, 2013
My son is a third grader and has been at Norfolk Collegiate since kindergarten. We have had such a great experience at this school - from the smiles and enthusiasm that greet him daily, to all of his amazing teachers, who have challenged and cared for him, to the amazingly warm and approachable staff. When I drop my son off at school each day, I know that he is in a safe, caring environment. When I pick him up each day, I always leave with a smile - it's a happy place where my son is surrounded by the best teachers and staff we could ask for. We look forward to having our daughter there next year!

Posted October 10, 2013
Norfolk Collegiate has provided a challenging and personalized educational experience for my three children. The teachers have tailored lessons to fit each of my children's abilities, pushing them when necessary and aiding when needed. I have also been amazed at the warmth of all the staff, not just the teachers. They greet the children and me with smiles and hellos. Once the lunch room worker said she told my son he would grow up to do great things because he was so smart. I was amazed that she had gotten to know my child and had conveyed such a positive message to him. When your child is surrounded by people who encourage them, from teachers to staff to lunch room workers, the odds of them succeeding in life are tremendous.

Norfolk Collegiate School
7336 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA  23505
Last modified Norfolk Collegiate School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Norfolk Collegiate School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top