Norfolk, VA

Norfolk Collegiate School 1

Posted May 05, 2015
I deeply regret enrolling my children in this school. I could have saved a lot of money if I had just sent them to one of the good local public schools or gotten a better value for the money at one of the other private schools. For the money spent, I expected my children to receive a better educatoinal experience and to have a more responsive teaching and administrative staff but such was not the case unless you are major donor to the school.

Norfolk Collegiate School 2

Posted March 29, 2015
Bottom line is this school isn't worth the price tag and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't send my kids here. For the upper school, there has been too much turnover in recent years in key administrators and a number of faculty which has taken the heart out of this school, in my opinion. Most of the teachers seem interested in doing only the minimum. Small class sizes are not an advantage when a teacher doesn't make the material interesting or accessible; the mark of a great teacher isn't how hard it is to get a good grade in the class but rather how the teacher makes difficult material seem easy. If the school really wanted to do better, they should have both students and parents give feedback on teachers, courses and facilities annually. They seem to not really care beyond getting the check.

Posted January 13, 2015
When we moved to Norfolk 14 years ago, my oldest son started kindergarten at Norfolk Collegiate. His years throughout the lower, middle, and upper school have been a wonderful experience, as they have been for his siblings. NC has offered them challenging academics in an environment that is caring and nurturing. The teachers are excellent and the variety of course offerings is amazing. There are many leadership opportunities, whether in school or through the many extracurricular, sports, or arts programs offered. The college counseling office offers tremendous support and guidance. Now with my oldest a freshman at UVA, I realize that he could not have been better prepared. I can confidently say that NC is the best choice you can make when looking for a school!

Posted August 19, 2014
After attending this school for many years, it is clear that Norfolk Collegiate provides an excellent educational environment that encourages students to think for themselves. While it can be challenging, students quickly develop a strong work ethic at a young age. Additionally, teachers frequently go out of their way to support students academically and beyond. There are plenty of leadership opportunities and great college counselors. Collegiate combines innovative and traditional teaching methods to produce the most well rounded students in Hampton Roads. Over the past few years, the school built a new Center for the Arts and introduced smart boards into the Lower, Middle, and Upper schools. This year, the school will be using 3-D printers and students in grades 6-12 will each have an iPad. On a more personal note, the students at Norfolk Collegiate are genuinely kind. This bond between the "NoCo" community is one that cannot be found in other schools throughout this region.

Norfolk Collegiate School 1

Posted March 18, 2014
Norfolk Collegiate I recently moved to a different part of Virginia and was finally introduced to the real world. Norfolk Collegiate has clueless parents, spoiled children, and an over sheltering staff. Some of the teachers are good, yet when I took math 7, my math teacher taught us NOTHING. She showed only us completely useless power points, so I had to rely on my parents to teach me the subject. It was not a very challenging school except for the 7th grade science teacher who taught the material extraordinarily well. If you are planning to go to this school I advise against all of these "five star reviews." Unless you want your child to attend a school that is "cliquey", has poor education, and you plan on buying your child top of the line Abercrombie&Fitch and Hollister clothes, I advise that you buy a house in Virginia Beach. Your child will develop better social skills, more confidence, and he/she will have more competition in sports not to mention the better education. If you are stuck living in Norfolk I wish you luck in finding a truly, good school, I hope that my review will assist you if you are trying to find a school for your child. Best of luck, previous student.

Posted January 08, 2014
The way you want school to be!!!!!! Happy empowered teachers challenging kids in a variety of learning environments. Small classes (20 or less THRU high school). Children gives choices in assignments to fit their learning style. PE everyday. Awesome healthy lunches. Great resource and elective classes. Nurturing environment where teachers are accessible and stay in touch. Can't say enough great things. The school keeps getting better and better.

Posted November 25, 2013
We have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader at Norfolk Collegiate Lower School, and they have attended since kindergarten. In this area, choosing a school can be a daunting task. We chose and have stuck with NCS due to the community of the school. Our children are not just one of many, they are an incorporated part of the school. Each child knows and interacts with students from all grade levels - both older and younger than they are. The teachers and faculty know each student's personality and watch him/her grow. There was some re-organization at the Lower School of teachers this past year, and it has been for the best of the students and parents. There are many opportunities for the students to become involved - from SCA to violin to science club to tennis. NCS emphasizes the entire student, not just the academics, but also the citizenship of the child in the world.

Posted November 24, 2013
Academically tailored to our child with a warm caring environment, our child loves Norfolk Collegiate. She has been to other schools over her academic career and this one is the tops. Teachers who care, a staff who knows each child individually and an administration with a vision for the future. Parent involvement can be whatever level you want it to be.

Posted November 21, 2013
We have two children in school at Norfolk Collegiate and have loved it! They have a very caring and nurturing environment and a true "family" feel. The teachers have been incredible at personalizing instruction an have truly inspired success. For a school this size they have a remarkable number of unique opportunities in the classroom as well as extra-curricular offerings.

Posted October 20, 2013
My oldest son has been at Norfolk Collegiate since kindergarten, and is now a third grader. My youngest has just started kindergarten. They are both thriving in the warm, caring environment provided by the faculty and staff. The small class size allows the teachers to work individually with the students. They can provide extra challenges or extra assistance as needed. The teachers are always available to talk with my husband and I about any questions or concerns that we may have. Most importantly, my children are excited to go to school and feel part of a community there. They have made wonderful friends at the lower school, and have also had the opportunity to interact with older students at the middle and upper schools who have become role models for them.

Norfolk Collegiate School
7336 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA  23505
Last modified Norfolk Collegiate School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Norfolk Collegiate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top