Oakton, VA
Students enrolled: 1,100

Posted October 20, 2014
Flint Hill one of the best kept secrets of the metro-DC area. It is a school filled with passionate and compassionate faculty and administrators at all grade levels. My children have had one master teacher after another from Lower to Middle to Upper School. The school's dedication to relationships, character and academics shine through every aspect of school life. Students are encouraged to be themselves both by the faculty and by peers. Small classes that are not focused on the SOLs allow the children to truly learn how to think. Worth every penny of the tuition!!

Flint Hill School 3

Posted June 11, 2014
The school is academically fine but not great. I feel that there is more focus on rules and regulations than really educating. For example, in high school, students sometimes do not get back their tests to learn their mistakes for fear of sharing their tests with others. Socially this is a very conservative school and not a great fit for all. It is a tough atmosphere for new students as families and students keep to themselves and one must really make an effort to make friends. As a result, the school doesn't really know how to handle the social scene and has gone and hired a director of diversity to solve this issue. Little will change as its the community which is so conservative. If you are in to sports, it is a good environment but its really not a great school for the arts and theatre as much as it claims to be. The school is really trying to make technology their main focus but doesn't still offer coding as one of their science requirements. Most teachers are very caring but over the years, the better teachers have only stayed at the school just about two or three years maximum. If I were to repeat it all over, I am not sure I would send my kid here.

Flint Hill School 1

Posted April 07, 2014
With average academics, an uninspiring campus (no cafeteria, low library volume, no real playground - kids play on blacktop parking lot), this middle and lower school seem to have lost their way. With tuition skyrocketing, families are fleeing. A new MS director seems to have made things worse; the school needs a better leader with more experience and skills. The leadership either does not recognize the need to improve or is not acknowledging it. Either way FHS has an odd character to it where the school puts the needs and interests of its administrators above its students and families. HS may be better. A safe, friendly spot to put your children if you are not from the U.S., not paying tuition yourself, have a child with a learning disability, are here a short time or academics/child development are not that important to you. Also if you are on faculty (much reduced tuition.) Otherwise, keep looking. This MS and ES are not nearly worth their enormous price tag, a disappointment to many long time families.

Posted January 12, 2014
My daughter has been at the school for over 2 years. We are an international family and have traveled a lot with our children. FHS is a very international school. The different nationalities and cultures represented at FHS made it easy for my daughter to find friends. I had concerns about the intense technical nature of the curriculum, but I now see it is excellent preparation for my daughter college career. She has learned to measure out her work and discriminate among websites for research projects. Lastly, the teachers at FHS are very well and broadly educated, providing excellent intellectual models for our students.

Posted May 10, 2013
Flint Hill school mainstreams gifted children with different learning styles. Our daughter scores very high in all areas tested, but struggles with focusing while in class. She bores easily, and needs a stimulating environment. Her psychologist suggested Flint Hill, and we couldn't be happier. Although she is not starting until this fall, we are already impressed with the school on many levels. Very warm and engaging headmaster.

Posted February 04, 2013
My daughter has been a student at Flint Hill for the past seven years. My daughter has a passion for all things math and science, and we find that Flint Hill course keeps her engaged. The curiculum is very demanding and taught by excellent teachers. As a military family, it was very important to find a school that would make our daughter filled safe and appreciated. Flint Hill has an excellent program and Top Notch Teachers/school administration.

Posted January 19, 2013
My children have been at this school for 11 years and it has been nothing short of amazing. No school is perfect but this school is as close as you can get. Small class sizes great teachers and a fantastic differentiated learning program. When I talk to parents of children that have moved on to college they all say the same thing about Flint Hill: "Their children were well prepared" not sure if a school can receive a higher compliment.

Flint Hill School 4

Posted October 30, 2012
Flint Hill is an easy school in the Lower school and middle school. I haven't been to the upper school. I mean 1/2 of the grad got A's in all subject in 5th and 6th grade and 1/4 of the class got A's in all subjects for seventh through eighth grade. It has one of the best Latin programs, a strong English and Social studies program, an okay math program; however lacks in Science. Sports are decent there. I would definitely go there if you are looking to be a lawyer, or something that English or social studies can help.

Flint Hill School 2

Posted October 24, 2012
Our child was at Flint Hill for 4 years. We were told in the Spring of 8th grade that we were not going to be accepted into the upper school. Our child was originally admitted to Flint Hill knowing we would be using the Learning Center. The school is changing direction & does not really want these children. They instead 'council them out'. Don't be fooled to spend your time or money with them if your child has any learning processing issues. Our child is doing well in his new school & we couldn't be happier.

Posted March 19, 2012
fhs is awesome!! i'm in 8th grade, and i've been here since 1st grade, and the transitions from each grade are very well done. the work gets harder in 7th and 8th grade, but nothing unbearable. i have a sister who graduated just this previous year, and she is amazed by the teachers of flint hill, and how much they really do care. this is the same case for me - i've probably had ONE teacher whom i don't like, and the same for my sister. the price one must pay for flint hill is expensive, but DEFINITELY worth it.

Flint Hill School