K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Dominion has been a wonderful school for my family. I have children on both campuses. We are very thankful for the strong, stable staff; for the incredible parent and student culture; and for the emphasis upon teaching our children to love God and to serve Him well. The teachers and administration truly strive to teach students to love God with their hearts, souls, and MINDS. The administration is amazing, and the teachers are second to none. I noted the previous reviewer apparently had a negative experience at Dominion. I can honestly say that that's the exception, not the rule. Many (most?) of the statements made in the review are also factually incorrect, as well. Ask the school for hard data points on student attrition, faculty turnover, standardized testing data in math/science, etc., and you'll find that this reviewer is likely a disgruntled exception to the rule. Reading the other reviews (below) will tell the same story. I don't know anyone who is anything other than pleased and happy with DCS. It's an amazing school!

Middle and High School (family) * Extremely high turn-over rate of teaching staff (annually) since new leadership. * Extremely low student retention rates for students entering after 5th grade. * Young and inexperienced staff in many subjects * Cater to (controlled by) Founding families & those with "Special Needs" * Inadequate for any Science & Technology future - No technology / No labs * No ability to get recognition for AP or IB - * Leadership more focused on outward public appearance (particularly on "Visit / Shadow" days) than student character development. * High failure rates for first year college failure/dropout rates for graduating seniors. * Inability to field any "team sport" in HS. Rely non-attending outsiders and "Founders" kids (who don't attend practices) to form a basketball team

DCS has been a blessing to our family. The family atmosphere and sense of community are unparalleled. The education has far exceeded our already high expectations and each teacher provides our son with the individual attention needed to ensure he understands and learns the concepts behind the subject. The entire administration treats him like he was their son, as do other parents at the school. The diversity of backgrounds and internationalism of the collective student body has also been a pleasant surprise. We have nothing but good things to say about Dominion, and feel the school is poised to truly become a preeminent classical school of education.

DCS has been our school family for nine years now. We have seen it grow and have been blessed by the amazing faculty. They know the hearts of their students and support us in shaping our children to become men and women of strong faith and good character. The curriculum is excellent and we are seeing the fruits of the classical model in our oldest as she prepares to enter high school. Latin has helped with English language and grammar, as well as scientific terms. It has been useful on many occasions! They are also interpreting advanced texts through a Christian worldview; making references to Beowulf, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Count of Monte Cristo, and many others as we talk about life together. Looking at history in the context of faith gives it meaning and depth. Math and science is made fun through hands on methods. We have seen our children thrive in the intimate, community environment where they are known, loved, encouraged and trained to think deeply about life and the world. I highly recommend DCS for families who want to be actively engaged in their children's education and who want to develop their children to be actively engaged in the world for Jesus' sake.

We have three children in the DCS Middle School, all of whom have attended since Kindergarten. We have been tremendously gratified with every aspect of the school. The teachers and the head of school are top notch. The families form a genuine community and support one another in tangible and important ways in the raising of our children not only in terms of academics, but also in shepherding our children through the difficult waters of adolescence. Our children are developing a genuine love for learning. Especially with the transition from the Grammar to Logic stage, the time in the classroom is naturally engaging, and the assignments draw them in as well with the focus on critical thinking and a holistic, integrated view of the world and learning. Personal attention from the teachers and Head of School has been extremely helpful. We've been amazed at what a detailed knowledge the Head of School has on our children's personal challenges and successes. Teachers maintain helpful communication, with a supportive, pro-active stance that has enabled us to address academic challenges before they become a significant problem. DCS is a big part of why I'm excited about my kids' future.

My elementary-aged child is thriving at DCS. He is so engaged in the classroom and with the curriculum. Excellent, creative teaching and meaningful and manageable homework. To earlier comments, not a worksheet sent home that I can remember, just instructions of what material to review. Communication with the teacher is great. I'm amazed at not only what he is learning (ancient history and Latin) but how much he is enjoying learning it!

I only wish we had found this school earlier. Great nurturing fun environment. Perfect fit for our family. After 3 years in FFX Co, my kids couldn't wait to move to DCS because of the intimate size and philosophy. The transition was sometimes difficult because of the different curriculum, but they know they've learned so much more here. The academics are rigorous, but they are learning how to think critically, and to me, that's priceless!

DCS is adding 12th grade for the 2012-13 school year completing the K-12 classical Christian school. Next fall, we will start our 12th year at the school (we have three children...one in each stage of the model... grammar, logic and rhetoric) and could not be more pleased. My husband and I grieve that we did not have this education. Children are taught how to think... a lost art. God's hand of blessing has been upon this school and our children are receiving a supurb education which is reflected not only in their national test scores but in their character. The financial sacrifice (although this school is considerably less than most) will reap eternal rewards for generations to come!

I have some insight on DCS vs. Fairfax public schools because we have attended both. DCS is a warm, nuturing enviroment made up of families that care about each others kids. The teachers are such great role models for the kids and the kids enjoy the experiences DCS provides. They learn a tremendous amount of knowledge with the guidence of patient educated teachers. The leadership at this school is unbelievable. The principal forms a relationship with each child and family. They want what is best for your child and will communicate this throughout the year so your child has a positive growth experience at school. The education is top notch. In answer to a previous review about teaching to the test and catering to wealthy families-I would totally disagree! I actually have to say wealth among families never came up. The families there have their priorities straight.

We are finishing our first year of kindergarten at this school. We are very pleased with the caring environment and the personal attention that our child receives at this school. We highly recommend this school.

Last modified Dominion Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12