Oakton, VA
After care: No

Posted April 16, 2014
DCS has been our school family for nine years now. We have seen it grow and have been blessed by the amazing faculty. They know the hearts of their students and support us in shaping our children to become men and women of strong faith and good character. The curriculum is excellent and we are seeing the fruits of the classical model in our oldest as she prepares to enter high school. Latin has helped with English language and grammar, as well as scientific terms. It has been useful on many occasions! They are also interpreting advanced texts through a Christian worldview; making references to Beowulf, Uncle Tom's Cabin, The Count of Monte Cristo, and many others as we talk about life together. Looking at history in the context of faith gives it meaning and depth. Math and science is made fun through hands on methods. We have seen our children thrive in the intimate, community environment where they are known, loved, encouraged and trained to think deeply about life and the world. I highly recommend DCS for families who want to be actively engaged in their children's education and who want to develop their children to be actively engaged in the world for Jesus' sake.

Posted December 10, 2013
We have three children in the DCS Middle School, all of whom have attended since Kindergarten. We have been tremendously gratified with every aspect of the school. The teachers and the head of school are top notch. The families form a genuine community and support one another in tangible and important ways in the raising of our children not only in terms of academics, but also in shepherding our children through the difficult waters of adolescence. Our children are developing a genuine love for learning. Especially with the transition from the Grammar to Logic stage, the time in the classroom is naturally engaging, and the assignments draw them in as well with the focus on critical thinking and a holistic, integrated view of the world and learning. Personal attention from the teachers and Head of School has been extremely helpful. We've been amazed at what a detailed knowledge the Head of School has on our children's personal challenges and successes. Teachers maintain helpful communication, with a supportive, pro-active stance that has enabled us to address academic challenges before they become a significant problem. DCS is a big part of why I'm excited about my kids' future.

Posted December 08, 2013
My elementary-aged child is thriving at DCS. He is so engaged in the classroom and with the curriculum. Excellent, creative teaching and meaningful and manageable homework. To earlier comments, not a worksheet sent home that I can remember, just instructions of what material to review. Communication with the teacher is great. I'm amazed at not only what he is learning (ancient history and Latin) but how much he is enjoying learning it!

Posted June 07, 2012
I only wish we had found this school earlier. Great nurturing fun environment. Perfect fit for our family. After 3 years in FFX Co, my kids couldn't wait to move to DCS because of the intimate size and philosophy. The transition was sometimes difficult because of the different curriculum, but they know they've learned so much more here. The academics are rigorous, but they are learning how to think critically, and to me, that's priceless!

Posted May 25, 2012
DCS is adding 12th grade for the 2012-13 school year completing the K-12 classical Christian school. Next fall, we will start our 12th year at the school (we have three children...one in each stage of the model... grammar, logic and rhetoric) and could not be more pleased. My husband and I grieve that we did not have this education. Children are taught how to think... a lost art. God's hand of blessing has been upon this school and our children are receiving a supurb education which is reflected not only in their national test scores but in their character. The financial sacrifice (although this school is considerably less than most) will reap eternal rewards for generations to come!

Posted May 13, 2010
I have some insight on DCS vs. Fairfax public schools because we have attended both. DCS is a warm, nuturing enviroment made up of families that care about each others kids. The teachers are such great role models for the kids and the kids enjoy the experiences DCS provides. They learn a tremendous amount of knowledge with the guidence of patient educated teachers. The leadership at this school is unbelievable. The principal forms a relationship with each child and family. They want what is best for your child and will communicate this throughout the year so your child has a positive growth experience at school. The education is top notch. In answer to a previous review about teaching to the test and catering to wealthy families-I would totally disagree! I actually have to say wealth among families never came up. The families there have their priorities straight.

Posted January 21, 2010
We are finishing our first year of kindergarten at this school. We are very pleased with the caring environment and the personal attention that our child receives at this school. We highly recommend this school.

Posted October 12, 2009
My family has been involved with DCS for nine years, and we truly love this school. The Classical model, high educational standards and a strong sense of community are definite distinctives of DCS. We love the Head of School and teachers here. The school's campus is a beautiful place that our three children have greatly enjoyed. DCS is a true blessing from the Lord to our family.

Posted October 12, 2009
After interviewing nearly a dozen schools, researching, talking to numerous NoVa parents, we chose DCS. After 5 years, it has been wonderful for both parents and children. The teachers and staff are genuinely concerned with the academic, spiritual and personal lives of each child. They are kind, courteous, engaged, and never been too busy to meet or respond to questions. An environment of love, consideration, and respect a modeling of Godly behavior is found at every turn. The leadership is professional, has high expectations, yet is loving and caring with each child. The Classical Model has yielded fantastic result in our children, obvious when they are among their peers. Lastly, the Christ-centered focus of a Christian world view has given my children the tools to make well-formed decisions and arguments regarding Truth, when confronted by the hostile and anti-Christian secular world. Thank you DCS!!!

Posted October 12, 2009
. . . It also is worth addressing thr prior poster s other comment that the school caters to wealthy families. I am sorry they have that perception and I am not sure of the basis for such a statement. The school has almost 70 families of varying backgrounds and economic means. The tuition charged is comparable to other Christian schools in the area and considerably less than most secular private schools. A number of families receive some aid to assist with the cost of tuition. I have found the faculty and other parents to be humble and sincere. In short, while no school can be all things to all people, for anyone looking for a sound Christian school with excellent academics in a warm environment, we heartily recommend Dominion.

Dominion Christian School
10922 Vale Rd, Oakton, VA  22124
Last modified Dominion Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Dominion Christian School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top