Posted March 06, 2007
This school is truly special. My daughter, who is in PreK, is thriving and I drop her off each am knowing that she is in a loving, warm environment where she is valued. The PreK class has a teacher/student ratio of 1:4, a head teacher w/ 30+ years experience who is a phenomenal educator and human being, and 3 co-teachers who all lavish attention on the children. There are after-school enrichment programs (sports, dance, music) and early/after care programs (7:30 am - 6:30pm)--very helpful for working parents. The school is more like a community than a school--most parents tend to know at least each other's first name and there are many opportunities to get to know the teachers and parents. Volunteering is encouraged but not required. Non-competitive learning, conflict resolution, valuing diversity, and community service are all stressed. I couldn't ask for a better school to send my child.

Posted January 15, 2007
My son had the terrific pleasure of attending NVFS for a year before we moved to the UK this past fall. Even in light of the wonderful adventures we are now having, our whole family often wishes we could have moved the school with us. What a warm, rich, inspiring place! We always felt honored, welcomed and encouraged to participate on all levels. Enrichment programs (designed with parent input) far exceed those available from the 130+ year-old school our son now attends. The quality of teaching, from everyone we encountered (a focus of the community is that we can all learn from each other) filled our minds and hearts and we miss it dearly - our son is truly a better human being for having spent time here and we can't wait to return!

Posted January 13, 2007
First-rate academically with unparalled individual attention, as well as the policy of permitting each child to learn at his or her own pace and in his or her own style. The Quaker belief of 'That in God in everyone' promotes respect for others, compassion and tolerance. As a third-year parent, I am impressed and inspired with the commitment of this school to racial, social and cultural diversity. Children learn at a very early age to model behaviors reflecting these beliefs, as well as to think critically and independently. The art program is superior. I have yet to meet a student who doesn't LOVE this school, and who can't wait to return the next day, eager to learn. This school's logo reads 'Learning With Joy in the Quaker Tradition' and they're as good as their word. I can't think of a better place for a child be.

Posted October 14, 2006
This school has positively changed the lives of my children forever. The environment is warm and nurturing. The teachers are exceptional and the class ratios are small. I cannot imagaine a better place for my children!

Northern Virginia Friends School
2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, VA  22124
Last modified Northern Virginia Friends School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Northern Virginia Friends School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 4 reviews. Top