Oakton Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 747 students

Student diversity

Posted March 7, 2014

The best School in the area! Couldn't ask more from a public school!!! The teachers are caring and qualified. The students are smart and happy and the principal is visible. This is a gem of the Oakton Vienna area!!!

Posted November 27, 2013

I am a sixth grader in this school. It is the best school you can have unlike the old school I would go to, this school has no bullies and the teachers in AAP are the best. I have only been in this school since fifth grade and I whish I had been here since third grade. I learned from my friends that the third and fourth grade teachers were very nice. If you say the front desk people are unfriendly and they communicate poorly, I don't belive so. I think this school deserves a 10 out of ten instead of a nine out of ten.

Posted June 16, 2013

This school is over rated. The front desk people are unfriendly. The classrooms are crowded. My daughter is in the AAP program and I chose to keep her at this school instead of going to the assigned center. The AAP classroom is just as over crowded as the general education classes because the principal has the discretion to place non-AAP students in these classrooms to fill the seats. I will be moving my child to a center next year.

Posted May 17, 2013

Have always loved Oakton for my oldest child- fabulous teachers, creative lessons, individualized instruction. My second child has had only average teachers and I was becoming concerned with her progress. Met with the principal this morning, and am so impressed with her right now. Not only had she taken the time to review my child's test scores and recent grades prior to our meeting, she was extremely receptive to all of my concerns and eager to work with us to ensure my child reaches her full potential. Can not say enough about the parent involvement at Oakton- so many great programs before and after school, an active PTA calendar and fabulous room parents. From an approachable administration, to a wonderful office staff, to the caring counselors and the amazing teachers, Oakton is a place I am proud to send my children each day.

Posted May 2, 2013

I went to Oakton Elementary when I was a child and loved the school even way back then. The school is fantastic and I feel blessed that my Son, who is in 3rd grade, has been going here since Kindergarten. His teacher was just voted the #1 teacher of the year and the school was voted by FCPS as one of the top Elementary schools in the county. My Son has had some speech impediments and some learning disabilities since he was 2. Now, because of this schools facilities & teachers, my Son is thriving and is graduating out of speech and his grades have improved tremendously. The principle and staff are so caring of all the children. The schools after school academic programs are wonderful, my Son is learning Spanish (free of charge), keyboarding, drawing and is in an extra math league (which is free of charge) after school all because this school offers it to their students. I can not say enough about this school, their teachers, the staff, the academics, etc. except to say I love Oakton Elementary and I am thankful for everything they have done.

Posted July 12, 2012

I have 2 kids at OES and have been very impressed, for the most part. My older child has had fantastic teachers, while my youngest's teachers have been less strong, but perfectly competeny. Some parents have very valid concerns about the Local Level IV AAP center, which is getting ready to start it's 4th year. For my older child, one class out of 4 is AAP, and maybe 6 kids who did not qualify we're drafted from the general population. For my younger child, 2 of the 5 classes are AAP, and about 20 kids were drafted to fill them out. This makes some parents feel like both AAP and General Ed. are being watered down and there are some bad feeling between kids who are in the center and kids who are not. OES does have a great new addition (no more trailers!) , a very involved administration, and an incredibly involved PTA that fundraises and pays for all sorts of extras. There are a lot of great extras, like Girls on the Run, Odyssey of the Mind, chess club and robotics. OES was also selected to start foreign language next year.

Posted December 23, 2011

Hit or Miss. We have two children attending OES since 2009. One is in GT the other is not. In the GT program the class size is smaller and so far each teacher has far exceeded our expectations. As a result, our child in GT loves going to school and would just as well miss weekends and holiday breaks to keep attending. Our other child is the polar opposite. She used to love school until she started attending OES. Her class is crowded, her teacher overwhelmed and unable to control some students. The new principle has made sincere efforts to address the problem but it will take time. In the meantime we are not happy at all with the VP who comes across as immature and unable to address parent concerns. Instead the VP seems more focused on being 'funny' and each child's best friend instead of keeping the school on the right track. On the positive side, the school has two counselors who are very supportive and communicate openly with parents which I think is a key reason the school does not have bullying issues. The PTA is also amazing and manages to supplement the school with really good programs like Odessy of the Mind, an annual Variety Show and Grace Arts.

Posted November 14, 2011

I've been extremely disappointed with OES, especially with the principal and administration. They are hostile to parents where they should be supportive. They communicate poorly and rudely; even innocent questions from a parent (e.g., "what time should I expect the bus in the afternoon?") are met with a combative response from OES staff. School protocols are unclear and inconsistently applied. Overall, our experience has been worse than unsatisfactory. I would strongly recommend that parents looking to settle in Fairfax County select an elementary school district other than Oakton.

Posted April 17, 2011

As a parent, my experience at OES shows that there is great inconsistency in the quality of teachers. Last year my daughter had a young, energetic teacher who was terrific. Unfortunately my other child had a teacher who was on auto-pilot counting the last couple of years until retirement. So more experience doesn't always mean better teachers! To earn a better rating the (now not so) new principal will be have to root out the lazy, burned out teachers so that there is not such a difference within a grade that children and parents feel as though they won the lottery or lost it when they get the 'good' teacher or the bad one.

Posted January 24, 2011

Oakton Elementary is a fantastic school with a nurturing creative environment. My two sons attend Oakton. We received a new principal last year who is a great leader. The VP knows all the children by name. There are some creative teachers who go all out to enrich the children's curriculum. Oakton has an extremely strong PTA with great leadership. They sponsor many before and after school activities and summer camps. They also sponsor GRACE Art, Odyssey of the Mind, Chess Club, Robotics, a soccer class, and GLOBAL languages. They have several community events yearly, such as a dance, BINGO, a book fair and more. The school formerly housed Oakton High School. As a result, it has a 300 person auditorium unique to most elementary schools in the area. Thus, there are many activities there, including story tellers, musicians and performers. There is also an annual Variety Show that is downright professional. The PTA is welcoming and loves volunteers. The school is currently under renovation. When my son was sick last week, he was sad because he would miss art. He tried to convince me that he could go to school anyway.

Posted November 12, 2010

We have an amazing counciler and principal . We don't let people harrass and bully other people. i am a 4th grader and for four yeras at that wonderful school i am alwas happy to go to school. as other kids are never happy to go to school. but our school lunches is another story. our vice princial " mr.eck" is very nice and funnny. and a first grade teacher named mrs.enoch who was my teacher is the coolest teacher ever! because she knows how to act and to be kind in front of kids. all 2nd grade teachers are nice! most of the 3rd grade teachers are nice mine was 40% nice but she hands out candy! and all 4th grade teachers are nice and same with 5th and 6th.

Posted May 11, 2010

We love this school. Our children have benefited from an administration , faculty and staff that are compassionate, respectful and hardworking. What better role models for the students at this school. For example , the assistant principal knows and greets every child by name and will often stop and ask the student a simple personal question such as how was your baseball last baseball game or are you coming to skate night? Through these simple acts of kindness a child feels special and important. I would rate the classroom teachers that my children have had from solid B to A+ with the overall rating an A. My only complaint is that the technology does not seem integrated into the curriculum on a consistent basis. The academics are strong and there is a lot of time spent by the classroom teachers to make learning creative and interesting,

Posted February 8, 2010

Oakton Elementary is a great school because it teaches you lots of things, the teachers are nice, and bullying isn't a very big problem. It is a nine out of ten.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 23, 2009

We started the 09'-10' season, new to this area and school; I am very impressed with the technology and teacher involvment. This is the best investment so far- for the children.

Posted July 11, 2009

I have two children who attend OES. We have not been happy at all. The teachers are not committed and many do not have control of their classrooms. Rather than teach the students, the teachers rely on the parents to do their work for them. This is because class sizes are between 28-30 kids. If we could afford to do so, I would send my kids elsewhere but that is not an option. While, yes, the school is being renovated and a GT center is being established, I don't believe this is going to make the teaching staff and principal any more dedicated or talented.

Posted May 12, 2009

When we moved here 10 years ago, a neighbor told me that Oakton was a wonderful school and was stronger for having a racially, culturally and economically diverse student body. Having grown up in McLean and attended Spring Hill Elementary (which has strong academics but not very much diversity) I hoped my boys would benefit from attending a school like Oakton. They have. I've had children at Oakton for 7 years now and the school is only getting better. Our principal has helped me to apply for several grants funding technology and the arts. She has impressed me with her experience and creativity. Our new PTA president has re-energized our fundraising and brought in so many new programs (from mock elections, to guest authors to the earth balloon) I can't even remember them all. Our teachers are wonderful. Oakton is exactly the kind of school you want--diversity, strong academics, involved parents!!!

Posted May 11, 2009

We have been at Oakton Elementary since 2004. We have found the teachers and staff to be exceptional. When our kindergartener was having a hard time getting on the bus and separating, her counselor actually rode the bus in the morning one day to help her. Her teacher offered her encouragement and would call her after breaks to tell her she looked forward to seeing her the next day at school. She was in constant contact with us as we worked to help ease the transition. The other teachers we have had have been easily accessible, and the principal and vice principal have always answered any concerns or questions promptly. The very active PTA has helped provide many great enrichment activities. Overall, just a great school and a wonderful sense of community!

Posted May 9, 2009

I recently noticed a few not so favorable reviews of Oakton Elem. I would like to comment. I am a parent who has had children attending Oakton since 2004. Here are a couple of comments I would like to respond to. The school is very overcrowded . . . Oakton Elementary will begin renovations this coming year. The school will be expanded. The classrooms will be larger and more classrooms will be added to make up for the crowding issues. This school has great technology and with the help of the PTA will continue to expand its systems. Next comment: This school is also not well equipped to work with children who are either gifted or challenged academically. Currently, Oakton Elem. offers many enrichment programs for advanced academics and the academically challenged. They offer Level 3 services for those children who need a little extra challenge. They also offer the strategies lab for all students at the school. This is a new program and will continue to expand overtime. Next year, the school will offer Level 4 Gifted and Talented / Accelerated Academics starting with grade 3. Each year a new grade will be added until the services are available for grades 3-6. The Principal has been very busy over the past two years working with her staff to form collaborative learning teams for each grade. She has hired trained specialist to train her staff to work with their students on multiple intelligences, improving academics and on higher level thinking skills. The school and the PTA have purchased many new math manipulatives and training aids in math and the sciences. Also, the school has a wonderful reading specialist who is top notch when in comes to teaching kids how to read in a creative and engaging manner. Again, Mrs. Worek has recently purchased short text to help all students, as well as those who are challenged in reading, with vocabulary, decoding, prediction, inference and more. Lastly, the school offers full services and testing for those who are identified social, emotional and academic disabilities. Oakton offers (or has offered) a full array of enriching activities: Robotics, Odyssey of the Mind, Affinity Club, Chess Club, Abrakadoodle Art Program, FLEX, Mad Science, Ultra Sports, Grace Art, Strategies Lab and a full array of cultural arts and family fun nights. Last comments: There are outstanding individual teachers who really push the children to do and be their best and there are teachers (the majority, we've found) who barely have their noses above water. This lack of consistency stems from a disengaged principal, who we have found lacks the vigor, vision and engagement necessary to make Oakton the first-rate Elementary School it ought to be. There are some very good teachers at this school and also some very inexperienced teachers who do not receive the support and instruction necessary to become better teachers. At this time Oakton Elem. has no first year teachers. All the teachers at Oakton ar experienced teachers. FCPS as well as the Dept. of Education and the VA Dept. of Education evolve their standards and curriculum frequently. For example, this year the second grade math curriculum was updated. A couple years ago the math SOL s were changed. As I mentioned above Mrs. Worek has been working with her teachers to form collaborative teaching teams for consistency and a more enriching academic experience. Oakton is great! Come take a look for your self!

Posted May 8, 2009

My son attends Oakton and does not like it. I have volunteered in the class room a few times and the teachers had little control. The classroom was extremely noisy and students were wandering around and getting into things they shouldn't. The strategy lab classroom (out in the trailors) was a little distrubing. The teacher could not handle the kids and actually had to leave and go to his desk away from the children to clam his anxiety. The children did one activity the whole hour they were there. I feel the teacher my son has expects way to much of him and only rewards the super achievers. I have been to after school activities as well (such as the hoe down dance and library book sale) and they are just craziness and down right not enjoyable. We had great hopes for OES but glad to be transferring to another school.

Posted April 19, 2009

I currently have a child at Oakton Elementary. There are some very good teachers at this school and also some very inexperienced teachers who do not receive the support and instruction necessary to become better teachers. The principal is not engaged and allows all teachers to manage their classroom independently. If the teacher is experienced and good at his/her job, this works wonderfully. In the instances where the teacher is not doing a good job, this is a problem. The school is very overcrowded and there is no consistency in discipline or instruction. This school is also not well equipped to work with children who are either gifted or challenged academically. There are many good, strong schools in Fairfax County. I would recommend to all parents that they consider other schools until some of the problems at Oakton are resolved.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

113 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

All Students83%

Not economically disadvantaged95%
Students without disabilities98%
Limited English proficient students100%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students85%

Students with disabilities68%
Students without disabilities100%
Limited English proficient students100%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilitiesn/a
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3000 Chain Bridge Rd