Bad
Good

Posted February 29, 2016
The school is average, not great, at least academically. My child has been attending for a couple of years now. Some teachers are great. Some, basically, mail it in. If the test scores are higher, it is because of the parent involvement, not the school academics per say. My kid is quiet and well-behaved, so teachers tend to forget about us. The curriculum seems really lacking and homework assignment are basic and we never get any feedback on them back. I'm not sure how much that depends on the overall curriculum and how much it is up to a teacher to challenge the students with extra, interesting stuff. If we hadn't been working at home on math, reading, writing, etc., my child wouldn't learn much at school. Another area I find frustrating is the lack of communication from our teacher. We hardly ever find out what they are learning and how they are learning it. Even though, the county spending per kid is high, the results are not there.

Posted February 10, 2016
I feel compelled to comment based on the previous comment. I have two children at Oakton Elementary and we are very satisfied. The class size is not a Oakton Elementary problem, but an overall county problem which has been taken seriously by the Administration office. For a public School, this school will knock your socks off. The teacher are caring and academics are great. The test scores speak for themselves. Its easy to compare this school to all the other schools in Fairfax County or VA as a whole and it is clear to see why this school is one of the BEST!!!!!

Oakton Elementary School 1

Posted January 15, 2015
My kid attended KG, 1st and 2nd grade in this school. We heard a lot of good thing about this school and we were very excited to be part of this school. Unfortunately that was not the case.. Like other elementary school in this AREA.. this school is no exception in regards to Higher students to Teacher ratio.. An avg classroom will have 25-27 students/ teacher with no teacher help. if you or your kid is not in teacher favorite list.. then basically you are just sending your kids to a free day care.. Please do not expect he/she will going to bring any homework and since the teacher have so many kids.. no body really care.. Even though district forward each academic curriculum, you still have to be in good luck to get good teacher assigned to your kid. Quarterly grading is either a big formality or a big joke.. hard to pick which one best fit for this school. somewhere around march next year, suddenly the teacher will going to call you, along with School principal to let you know that your kids is below average and sorry we were unable to communicate this information in a timely manner. i think overall school highly overrated and school really need to do some reality check.

Posted March 07, 2014
The best School in the area! Couldn't ask more from a public school!!! The teachers are caring and qualified. The students are smart and happy and the principal is visible. This is a gem of the Oakton Vienna area!!!

Posted November 27, 2013
I am a sixth grader in this school. It is the best school you can have unlike the old school I would go to, this school has no bullies and the teachers in AAP are the best. I have only been in this school since fifth grade and I whish I had been here since third grade. I learned from my friends that the third and fourth grade teachers were very nice. If you say the front desk people are unfriendly and they communicate poorly, I don't belive so. I think this school deserves a 10 out of ten instead of a nine out of ten.

Posted June 16, 2013
This school is over rated. The front desk people are unfriendly. The classrooms are crowded. My daughter is in the AAP program and I chose to keep her at this school instead of going to the assigned center. The AAP classroom is just as over crowded as the general education classes because the principal has the discretion to place non-AAP students in these classrooms to fill the seats. I will be moving my child to a center next year.

Oakton Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2013
Have always loved Oakton for my oldest child- fabulous teachers, creative lessons, individualized instruction. My second child has had only average teachers and I was becoming concerned with her progress. Met with the principal this morning, and am so impressed with her right now. Not only had she taken the time to review my child's test scores and recent grades prior to our meeting, she was extremely receptive to all of my concerns and eager to work with us to ensure my child reaches her full potential. Can not say enough about the parent involvement at Oakton- so many great programs before and after school, an active PTA calendar and fabulous room parents. From an approachable administration, to a wonderful office staff, to the caring counselors and the amazing teachers, Oakton is a place I am proud to send my children each day.

Posted May 02, 2013
I went to Oakton Elementary when I was a child and loved the school even way back then. The school is fantastic and I feel blessed that my Son, who is in 3rd grade, has been going here since Kindergarten. His teacher was just voted the #1 teacher of the year and the school was voted by FCPS as one of the top Elementary schools in the county. My Son has had some speech impediments and some learning disabilities since he was 2. Now, because of this schools facilities & teachers, my Son is thriving and is graduating out of speech and his grades have improved tremendously. The principle and staff are so caring of all the children. The schools after school academic programs are wonderful, my Son is learning Spanish (free of charge), keyboarding, drawing and is in an extra math league (which is free of charge) after school all because this school offers it to their students. I can not say enough about this school, their teachers, the staff, the academics, etc. except to say I love Oakton Elementary and I am thankful for everything they have done.

Oakton Elementary School 4

Posted July 12, 2012
I have 2 kids at OES and have been very impressed, for the most part. My older child has had fantastic teachers, while my youngest's teachers have been less strong, but perfectly competeny. Some parents have very valid concerns about the Local Level IV AAP center, which is getting ready to start it's 4th year. For my older child, one class out of 4 is AAP, and maybe 6 kids who did not qualify we're drafted from the general population. For my younger child, 2 of the 5 classes are AAP, and about 20 kids were drafted to fill them out. This makes some parents feel like both AAP and General Ed. are being watered down and there are some bad feeling between kids who are in the center and kids who are not. OES does have a great new addition (no more trailers!) , a very involved administration, and an incredibly involved PTA that fundraises and pays for all sorts of extras. There are a lot of great extras, like Girls on the Run, Odyssey of the Mind, chess club and robotics. OES was also selected to start foreign language next year.

Posted May 03, 2012
We have been a bit disappointed with Oakton ES. The class sizes are way to big in classrooms that are not big enough to hold the large number of students. In addition the Gifted and Talented program is out of control. In the 3rd grade three of the five classes are GT. I'm sure that 40% of the grade are not GT. Unfortunately, the school system allows parents to pay to have their students put into these classes by way of outside testing. Lastly, they are teaching to the SOL testing instead of just focusing on teaching/learning!

Oakton Elementary School
3000 Chain Bridge Rd, Oakton, VA  22124
Last modified Oakton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.