Poquoson, VA

Poquoson High School 5

Posted December 08, 2014
My children started school in Poquoson in 5th & 8th grade. As any new student, they took time to adapt, and soon made many friends, and graduated from Poquoson High. It is a small town feel, people are close to their neighbors. This is not a bad thing and is what I loved about living there. I am originally from PA and found it a great place to raise my kids, with lots of opportunities to be involved in their education.

Poquoson High School 2

Posted August 30, 2011
I rate this school below average because they are not welcoming to outsiders. They will tell you they are but are not. Also DO NOT MOVE to this town if you are African American. My daughter came home repeatedly telling me some of the racist remarks said/allowed (2008-2010) I still own my house there and would not have moved to this town if I had known how racist it was. I know my/any child should not have their cell phone at school when the rule says no. But somehow they think they can keep the childs cell phone even if you as a parent go to retrieve it. I told them I am the one who pays for it. give it to me .. they give it back only after the alloted time has passed for whatever number offense it is. EXTREMELY CLIQUISH

Poquoson High School 3

Posted July 26, 2011
Honestly, Poquoson is a mixed bag. The students are mostly welcoming, though there are always some who aren't. The teachers are split; I had some amazing ones and some that I still don't know why they teach or how they get away with it. However, I must say that the academic program is beyond-awful. The guidance department does little to help students truly prepare for college and the courses offered are sparse. Especially for advanced students, you should hope that your child is interested in Math or Science. If your is interested more in History or English, be prepared for them to take classes online. I did, and it was awful. The guidance councilors will steer your child in the direction they want, not necessarily what you and/or your child want to do. I, for example, was forced into classes I did not sign up for and it took 3 weeks before my schedule was changed. Overall, the people are fairly nice, the teachers are (mostly) wonderful, but the academic program is terrible.

Poquoson High School 1

Posted May 04, 2011
You better believe this school and community isn't welcoming. Look at the coaches and teachers; most of them grew up together, went to school together, and are only concerned about looking out for their children or their friends' kids. It's a clique, at all levels, and the parents encourage it! It is strange, like most of the parents never got past a high-school mentality themselves, and blatantly play favorites. It's a shame because most of the "move-ins" are military familes who have so much broader perspective and yes, intelligence.

Poquoson High School 4

Posted November 23, 2010
Let's hope this "not welcoming stuff" is not the case. I'm very active in the community and with my 3 children. I have one in Elementary, Middle and High. I look forward to my move and look forward to making some new friends. We will move here over the winter holiday due to my husband's job. See you shortly! Lisa

Poquoson High School 4

Posted October 25, 2010
I moved to Poquoson my 10th grade year. Perhaps it was the family name, but I never found it hard to fit in. It can be a little cliquish with the sports but even as a quiet student I was accepted and welcomed very quickly. The teachers are great,the staff caring, and the classes challenging. But even as an adult have found that graduating poquoson high is looked upon more favorably by some due to the higher standards.

Poquoson High School 5

Posted July 09, 2009
I moved to Poquoson when I was 7 years old and attended Elementary, Middle, and High School. I just wanted to set the record straight, as a move in, yes ANY child will take awhile to acclimate to their new surroundings. I actually attended Tabb Elementary for one semester and I can tell you that I came home crying almost every day. The kids at Poquoson were very welcoming and friendly, and I had no problem joining any of the three varsity sports I played or the 10 clubs I was in (and was an officer of two). You know you are attending a good school when literally half of the governor's school attendees are from Poquoson, and we also have the highest percentage of acceptances into UVA and VA Tech. If you want your child to have the best education possible while enjoying it, come to Poquoson.

Posted January 08, 2009
I attended Poquoson Elementary, Middle and High (C/O 02). Although I moved there in 1993, I was always considered a 'move-in.' But the teachers are the best around. Each one cares 100% about each student. The courses are tough...not just the advanced ones. There is a very high standard. I agree with the other post, the more you get involved with the local community, the better your chances of being accepted. Also, if you blend in you will be better off, there is little tolerance for people who are 'different.' I married a local so maybe I am no longer a move-in...but probably not! Those who don't rock the boat will leave with the best education and little to no emotional scaring, LOL! Go Bull Islanders!

Posted October 30, 2008
I know that moving into Poquoson is not an easy thing to do, but if you are involved in the community, and socially active, your children will be welcome. If you are not involved, the children will find it difficult unless they are very social. My youngest son is so accepted that he has more friends than he can handle.

Posted May 28, 2008
I agree with the student above. My husband is the military and before we moved to Virginia I did alot of research to find the best school, that is why we selected Poquoson. The student body does not welcome new kids. The students grew up together they do things and go places as a group friends and will not ask the new kids. There are a group of girls that go to Bush Garden every year my daughter asked if she may with them and the girls looked at each th leader, said it has been their trad tion to go together and the new kids are not wecomed. a

51 Odd Rd, Poquoson, VA  23662
Last modified Poquoson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Poquoson High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top