Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Years ago I attended school here. At that time it was A decent school for the most part. I could go on and on about it today but I'm going to stick to the facts. Below are four different cases and four different learning levels . Two out of the four attened from fith grade on Third from first and last from kindergarten. Please note a school is to teach a child academics so they can succeed and excel in life. Whether the school is welcoming are not to me is not relevant. Insider outsider what does it matter if your child is getting the proper education. Child one should never have graduated. Did not pass yearly tests. Teachers gave child passing grades to keep the graduation rate high . Child two could pass any test with eyes closed. Was born gifted . Child missed 75% of school never turned in any work. Was given a passing grade to keep graduation rates high. I know of other children in this school who did not attend and due to absences should not have graduated but did to keep stats high. Child three has been passed along each school promising correction of a problem . Child can not read . Child is in high school and is currently comprehending at a Elementary level. Child has been privately tested. School states child is almost to grade level. Child has consistently failed all tests every year since first grade. Child will graduate illiterate. Child four is average. Passes all tests. Turns in all work. Gets whats belived average grades. Child has been marked slow in files. Needing help in areas child excels at and average in areas child does not. In conclusion your child will graduate from this school. Whether they have learned anything or not that's another question. I would never recommend this school to anyone.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

I don't blame the teachers at all. I believe they're caught between a rock and a hard place. One of the elementary school teachers a long time ago became teary-eyed because there was nothing she could do. She wanted to provide her own time to tutor but was told she would be fired if she did so.

Amount of homework: no rating

Whether you do your homework or you don't do your homework is not relevant according to the school. You will still graduate. What does the amount have to do with it.

Develops character: Neutral

I have no comment. I can not see how a school can develop integrity and honesty By just graduating anyone.

My children started school in Poquoson in 5th & 8th grade. As any new student, they took time to adapt, and soon made many friends, and graduated from Poquoson High. It is a small town feel, people are close to their neighbors. This is not a bad thing and is what I loved about living there. I am originally from PA and found it a great place to raise my kids, with lots of opportunities to be involved in their education.

I rate this school below average because they are not welcoming to outsiders. They will tell you they are but are not. Also DO NOT MOVE to this town if you are African American. My daughter came home repeatedly telling me some of the racist remarks said/allowed (2008-2010) I still own my house there and would not have moved to this town if I had known how racist it was. I know my/any child should not have their cell phone at school when the rule says no. But somehow they think they can keep the childs cell phone even if you as a parent go to retrieve it. I told them I am the one who pays for it. give it to me .. they give it back only after the alloted time has passed for whatever number offense it is. EXTREMELY CLIQUISH

Honestly, Poquoson is a mixed bag. The students are mostly welcoming, though there are always some who aren't. The teachers are split; I had some amazing ones and some that I still don't know why they teach or how they get away with it. However, I must say that the academic program is beyond-awful. The guidance department does little to help students truly prepare for college and the courses offered are sparse. Especially for advanced students, you should hope that your child is interested in Math or Science. If your is interested more in History or English, be prepared for them to take classes online. I did, and it was awful. The guidance councilors will steer your child in the direction they want, not necessarily what you and/or your child want to do. I, for example, was forced into classes I did not sign up for and it took 3 weeks before my schedule was changed. Overall, the people are fairly nice, the teachers are (mostly) wonderful, but the academic program is terrible.

You better believe this school and community isn't welcoming. Look at the coaches and teachers; most of them grew up together, went to school together, and are only concerned about looking out for their children or their friends' kids. It's a clique, at all levels, and the parents encourage it! It is strange, like most of the parents never got past a high-school mentality themselves, and blatantly play favorites. It's a shame because most of the "move-ins" are military familes who have so much broader perspective and yes, intelligence.

Let's hope this "not welcoming stuff" is not the case. I'm very active in the community and with my 3 children. I have one in Elementary, Middle and High. I look forward to my move and look forward to making some new friends. We will move here over the winter holiday due to my husband's job. See you shortly! Lisa

I moved to Poquoson my 10th grade year. Perhaps it was the family name, but I never found it hard to fit in. It can be a little cliquish with the sports but even as a quiet student I was accepted and welcomed very quickly. The teachers are great,the staff caring, and the classes challenging. But even as an adult have found that graduating poquoson high is looked upon more favorably by some due to the higher standards.

Last modified Poquoson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.