Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Churchland High School 2

Posted March 11, 2016
It is the Performing Arts Magnet school for Portsmouth yet the lights in the auditorium mostly all burnt out (actually 6 bulbs out of about 50 are actually working) and it is too dark to see your children perform. My child had to take her PSAT exam in this auditorium in an uncomfortable chair (not a desk!) in the darkness. Unbelievable considering the taxes in this city!!

Churchland High School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted March 11, 2016
Mr. Warren ~ music department ~ for his caring and many extra hours he puts in for the students.

Posted March 04, 2015
The school is great. My kids feel safe, cared for, and well educated. The teachers work hard and so does the principal.

Churchland High School 3

Posted January 01, 2014
I recently graduated from churchland high school. Most of my classes were out of control and I felt like the students had more control than some of the teachers. I did not feel this was fair to the students that were actually working hard in the class rooms. I rarely went to the cafeteria because the kids were wild. I graduated a year early with straight A's and was supposed to wear Honors regalia but the graduation counselor did not bring it. The guidance department did not help me with scholarships and spelled my name wrong when announcing my name at graduation and on my diploma.i felt churchland high school was only focused on helping the students that were skipping school and causing trouble. Though my experience at this high school was not very pleasant, I will never forget their amazing music department. Mr . Warren, the band director, is an amazing teacher. He had complete control of the classroom and the students united like a family. If your child is about to go to this school, I highly recommend you start them up in either the music magnent or the art magnet.

Churchland High School 4

Posted November 19, 2013
I have one son who graduated from Churchland in 2011. My third son is currently a freshman there. We have had a wonderful experience. My husband is an alumnus and teacher in the building. We are very pleaseed with Dr. Bechtol and appreciate her hard work and strong leadership ethic. Many people have the wrong perception of this high school.

Posted October 27, 2013
Both of my children attended Churchland High School. My oldest graduated with honors and my youngest will be graduating this year with honors as well. Dr Bechtol runs a tight ship and has done a tremendous job with this school. My children have had wonderful teachers that were more than willing to stay after school if they needed extra help. That's one of the things I have loved about this school. The help is there if a parent is involved in their child's education and asks for the extra help. The teachers are willing. CHS also offers a good variety of sports. My children were on the swim and the cross country teams. Overall I am please with the education my children received at Churchland High School and would even go as far as saying it is one of the best high schools in the area.

Posted August 22, 2013
This school I great! Our orientation is tomorrow and I'm ready for school to start again!

Churchland High School 4

Posted July 09, 2010
As a 33 year veteran teacher, I can say that Churchland is one of the best. The administration and staff work hard to allow educators to do what they do best - Teach! Yes, there are problems; all schools have problems. We are not a school of perfect students, perfect teachers, perfect administrators and perfect support staff. However, we are always striving toward that goal.

Posted June 04, 2009
I am currently a freshmen at this school. The staff at churchland ensure that each and every student has the opportunity to do any and every thing they can to further their education. Even the guidance counselors meet with each student individually to help with goal planning. Churchland offers a program (magnet) for out of zone, high acchiving students. The program features theatre, band, chorus, art, and dance and is very hands on. All together, churchand is an amazing school!

Posted May 09, 2009
My daughter is a senior at Churchland High School. She has had an awesome experience. Her teachers are skilled and very caring. The administration is very structured. The students get along well. My daughter participates in the First College program. First College students take college courses through TCC. When she graduates from high school she will be able to enter college as a sophomore. Churchland also has an excellent Art Magnet Program.

Churchland High School
4301 Cedar Ln, Portsmouth, VA  23703
Last modified Churchland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.