Bad
Good

Both of my kids attended Churchland Elementary and had great experiences. The PTA meetings were standing room only. The accelerated reader program kept them motivated to increase their reading levels. We felt they were well prepared for middle and high school after leaving CES. All their teachers were great. We still see them around town, and they always ask me about my kids. I don't agree with the other reviewers that give this school one star - maybe they had an isolated bad experience - because in general, the teachers and staff do care.

Last year my daughter had this teacher s who understands students and listens to them who is always ready to help them. We are bilingual we speak Hindi, Gujarati and English . So when spoke with ms. Bollinger and ms. Cash ms. Powderly they helper my daughter. I really like this school they test student for gifted and talented program and the teacher are really great.

The staff are kind and very helpful. The Vice Principal Is very understanding and very professional. If you are going to move to Portsmouth this is the best school to send your child.

Great school with wonderful teachers who use innovative lessons. A true neighborhood school in a great part of Portsmouth.

We are implants the area. Having resided in various areas of the country. I must conclude this is a very poor excuse for a elementary program. From the principal to the front desk staff they leave a lot to be desired. Fairness is not present in administration or in the classroom. Issues go overlooked and unaddressed for weeks at a time at all. I am not sure what is the reason for the lack of care. I would highly courage anyone considering this school with the expectation of a pleasant experience to look some place else. When personnel is often tardy, unresponsive to communication attempts, and disrespectful to parents and children, it is purely an unsafe environment for your child.

This school is horrible !!!!!! The principal when she is there defends the teachers no matter how wrong they are , put words in my child's mouth. The teachers don't seem to care about the children and yell and degrade them all the time to name a few things. I know a few people that have moved just so their children no longer have to go to this school. This school never makes you feel welcome to the point I hardly know any of the teachers other schools I've know over 75% of them at least by name and grade. My children have been going here for 3 yrs and I rarely have anything nice to say since day one we have had issues. That should say a lot !

My daughter just finished Kindergarten here, her teacher Ms. Wasilenko was awesome. My daughter really enjoyed attending her class and she kept the students in line. Hoping that my daughter gets another wonderful teacher this school year.

The teachers and the staff are great. There is little to no involvement with our principal. I believe this hurts our school.

Sadly, this is my childs last year at this school. We will miss every teacher and staff member at CE Schooll. This school has excellent teachers and strong leadership. The academics are challenging enough to prepare the students for the SOL's. I would like to see more volunteering by parents; it seems to be the same parents/grandparents helping out at each event and the same people in the PTA too. Our family loves this school and plan to enjoy our last year there!

I am less than impressed with this school! I chose to live in my neighborhood based on the initial research I did about Churchland Elemnetary School. Back then (2009) the school had higher SOL scores and rave reviews about the principal and teachers' dedication to the students, but I have seen the total opposite in my daughter's two years there. She is currently attending this school for first grade and I am reasearching other district options to pull her out! The teachers are less than motivating, focus on the childern's negatives and her particular teacher seems to hate her job! I have met with her numerous times about various "issues" she has with my daughter, tried to work different startegies with her for success for my child, only to keep meeting the same result--HER NEGATIVITY and my daughter's decreasing self-esteem because of it. If you have the option, pick a better., more dedicated school. Your child deserves the best! Don't be fooled by old reviews! I was.

Last modified Churchland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.