Portsmouth, VA

Posted October 22, 2014
First thing you should know, this school does not teach science in the seventh grade! There is no SOL for it. When I called to discuss why, the answer I received was they are following district! This is the only city in hampton roads to not be STEM focused. We are active duty military and relocate in June. Do not send your child to this school if you can. There are GI fights everyday and no ad advanced classes. The only thing this school cares about is sports. All around disappointed, do not make the same bad decision we did.

Posted June 17, 2014
this school is filled with bullies and judgemental people the teachers are great but the students that go there are just so mean

Churchland Middle School 2

Posted November 19, 2012
This is my daughters first year at Churchland Middle School. The school seems o.k, but there are a few areas where I feel that CMS can improve. We moved to Portsmouth this year from Norfolk. It seems like Portsmouth Public Schools as a whole are still in the stone ages. In Norfolk I was able to get online and was able to look up my daughters homework assignments, and I was able to e-mail all of her teachers if I had any questions. I, also noticed that when my daughter had problems with her school work, there was help readily available. Portsmouth is the total opposite. Portsmouth does not have any online resources for the parents. When my daughter was having problems in Math, the counselor said they were in the process of getting tutors. My daughters math teacher said she had other things to do, so she wasn't able to tutor. I'm still waiting on the school to get back to me about tutoring. The school should be more proactive instead of reactive. I hope they get their act together.

Posted December 08, 2011
My daughter came from an advanced program in our old hometown to this school. They didn't even bother looking at her transcript before putting her in all regular classes. I noticed right away and asked if they had any classes for her that were comparable. The guidance counselor said all they had was an honors math. My main complaint though was the lack of appropriate reaction when a boy full on grabbed my daughters behind in a hallway while walking to class. After getting to the classroom my daughter told the teacher and her reaction? She told her to fill out a paper citing what happened and turn it in when she got a chance! My daughter started feeling physically nauseous because of what happened and asked if she could go to the restroom. The teacher got upset with her for asking and after getting into an argument with her, she finally allowed her to go. After asking another teacher, apparently, the boy is KNOWN TO STAFF to do things like that. It's one thing to worry about her education but I never thought I would have to worry about the TEACHERS keeping her safe.

Churchland Middle School 5

Posted August 31, 2010
Churchland Middle School is great. If it was a horrible school my mother would not allow me to attend it. At Chms we learn a lot, we also have a great amount of students who pass classes with flying colors. We also have a new prinicipal who cares about the percentage rate of passing. The teachers try hard to make sure everyone has a full understanding. They make the school work challenging. The percentage of fights has decreased. Also in order for any students at Chms, to play sports with the school, they must be doing well in class. Students had to have a weekly progress report to play last year. At Chms, the staff members try their best to make learning productive and enjoyable. Teachers stay after school to tutor students. The guidance counslers try to help students to build their character. Chms also has many acdemic programs as well!

Churchland Middle School 5

Posted July 23, 2010
Churchland middle school is amasing! the only thing that people cant get over that it is in portsmouth. I've had amasing teachers and they pushed me to the point to be a strong student. Things have changed a lot and were now number 1! All of the preveious reviews were from the principles who were horrible we have a new one and he brings decipline we have higher test scores better books more activities nicer teachers more security. We have more learning oppertunities and the teachers dont take any crap so its one of the best schools in tidewater

Churchland Middle School 4

Posted April 02, 2010
I caution all parents who read these reviews to understand that the testing data used for the ratings does not show the full picture. Several of the Standards of Learning scores which were above average were excluded from the data used for rating purposes. Churchland Middle has several new administrators since the posted reviews were submitted. These are hard working, dedicated administrators who must spend a great deal of time on discipline because many of the students simply are not taught character building skills before they reach ChMS. These same administrators are actively promoting and creating a school culture where academic success is expected, celebrated and publicly recognized for the importance of achievement. Our teachers work hard and are dedicated to bringing quality education to each student. These teachers stay late, tutor, and come in on weekends. These are teachers I would like for my own child. Involved parents are the missing link.

Posted May 27, 2009

Posted June 19, 2008

Posted June 02, 2008

Churchland Middle School
4051 River Shore Rd, Portsmouth, VA  23703
Last modified Churchland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Churchland Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top