Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted May 23, 2016
My great-grandson transfered to Douglass Park Elementary two months after school open and I notice a difference in his teacher. He is in Kindergarden so he is just getting started in the system.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 23, 2016
My great-grandson has a week worth of assignment that is appropriate for his age and is not too much work for him.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 23, 2016
I can only speak for my great-grandson's class but, he comes home repeating what goes on in the class and some of the information is coming from the teacher.

Posted May 23, 2016
My experience at Douglass Park Elementary was a pleasent visit. I was in and out to pick up my great-grandson.

Posted December 09, 2011
I was missing ...Well still am a little..My Fridays going around to each of my children classrooms doing my check ups. BUT this morning was a very exciting day (Parent Power Day) My 1st time to be able to sit in there class room. All my questions that I ask them when they come home had been answered. I got to see 1st hand what my children was working on in class and there work was shown, also where they sat and who they sat by. Each class had so much around the room to give the children great support and to help better teach them. I was even giving materials on what they was on. This gives the parent a much better Idea on what they are working on and also how to help them with there studies at home. I really enjoyed it would LOVE to participate in it again. To the 5th,4th,3rd and 2nd that's all I seen today AA++

Posted May 20, 2008
I am a parent of a former Douglass Park Elem student. The school was excellent for my daughter. The teachers put in extra time preparing these kids for middle school and the SOLs. One of the best team efforts that I have seen between the 4th and 5th grade levels. My daughter excelled in middle school based on the foundation she received at the school.

Posted November 28, 2007
This school does not have an active PTA or volunteer program. It seems like the faculty are not open to parental involvement. Communication between teachers and parents is lacking. The teachers depend on the kids to send home 'messages'.

34 Grand St, Portsmouth, VA  23701
Last modified Douglass Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.