Posted April 28, 2014
I like that the school is fully accredited and that my daughter enjoys going to this school.

Posted March 04, 2009
I love this school. My children went to Olive Branch prior to Hodges Manor. The zones keep changing, Simonsdale before OB. My child is truly a high achiever since she transferred. It is true about notification of activities. But I see what has happened to my child academically, and that is my determining factor.

Posted February 06, 2008

Posted February 28, 2006
Out of 300 plus students, only 30 parents show up for PTA. Many because the poor or lack of communication between the school administration and parents. The day before events a note is sent home. Not enough time to allow parents to make arrangements. While the school has gone through renovations, I still dread going there for anything. The principal is in her own world. As stated before, she is too buddy buddy as opposed to BOSS. She does not back her teachers. If the teacher has issues it is because they are not doing their job. The teachers cannot be totally honest with parenets because of the fear of getting reprimanded. There is something wrong with that.

Posted January 18, 2006
I have a lot of experience with other school systems and I would have to honestly say, this school needs a lot of work'! Mainly with leadership, most teachers are trying but many need more guidance. In my previous experience with schools the principle is a mediator and ensures the best is done for the child. Even, if this included reminding the teacher of there requirements. At this school the principle seems as if she is friends with the teachers and not their boss! The teaching practices also, leave alot to be desired. I believe the parents/people that leave good comments may not know better if they have not experienced other school systems and or states. I am looking forward to leaving this school and please take this warning serious if you are looking to move here. I was warned!

Posted January 18, 2006
The teacher's credentials at this school are not acceptable. My childs teacher is not certified and seems to be inexperienced. The principle backs this decision which, is sad for the children. I also, have a child with allergies to foods. I advised the school/cafeteria with doctor notification. It's mid year they still make errors of foods offered. When a young child is smarter than the school and reminds the school, you know there is a problem The school lacks skills in leadership, teaching, parent involvement, and guidance. Portsmouth board of education needs a wake up call on this school.

Hodges Manor Elementary School 3

Posted July 05, 2005
While I don't agree that the school is as great as has been portrayed, I dont believe that it is as bad as has been mentioned. For the most part the teachers and the pricipal truly care about the children and they are making efforts to bring the school up to par. Given all of this, the school is still performing below the state standards in the SOLs. This past school year there were significant behavior problems in my child's classroom. Things are getting better, but they are by no means perfect.

Posted June 26, 2005
- a former student
When I attended Hodges Manor it was probably the worst school in the city. The roof always leaked and there was never any A.C. But 5 years later the principal is wonderful, the teachers, even though fed up sometimes are as nice as can be and there are a bunch improvements being made. The school is really good, but the bad name it was given a few years ago just cant seem to be shaken off. People still think it is horrible when it isn't, they just need to check it out first.

Posted February 25, 2005
I am very happy with the school and the staff. This is the 7th school I've worked with and this is by far the best. This is the only one to make sure students have towelet paper and soap in the restrooms. All 7 of the other schools did not. Every teacher my daughter has always help me and helps me to get help for my child when needed. Everyone is nice and has a smile on their face. Most of all I like the fact that the Principal is always in the hall in the morning and in the lunch room. She knows the kids and really shows that she cares.

Posted February 24, 2005
In response to the bad reviews of Hodges Manor Elementary School,it is a wonderful school with some of the best teachers around.All children are not so fortunate to have the type of discipline we all call appropiate behavior, thats why the teachers at that school are mother, father, sister and brother. If the school is so bad, pull your child out, otherwise stop critizing and turn a negative into a positive. Come up with strategies to help curve the discipline problem if it is that bad. The discipline starts at home not at the school.All of the teachers are state certified in their field, 'are you'.The quality of education is in line with the division. The parental involvement is fair, but we all work for a living. The main focus is on academics,but their are availability resources for all students.And lastly, the PRINCIPAL is a nice person.

Hodges Manor Elementary School
1201 Cherokee Rd, Portsmouth, VA  23701
Last modified Hodges Manor Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hodges Manor Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top