Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I am a parent of an elementary student and would never send my child to a school that would serve inedible lunches to my child as shown in the news. The picture on the news is a disgrace to America, and shows the low/no attention to detail, concern for health, concern for the well being, and protection this school has for it's children. The old fish, hard roll and brown dried corn is NOT a suitable lunch for children to eat. The excuse given was that there were other choices (cold) and poor lighting. What a pathetic excuse for a human being to say this!! These are children elementary children and some of them 5-6 years old. How disgusting this staff is at this school. I hope the people in charge are immediately dismissed!

My child is recently new to James Hurst elementary. I have yet to have a bad experience with any of the faculty as of yet. Her teacher is aware of certain problems she's having and she along with after school tutoring is really helping her be prepared as possible for the SOL testing coming up. I believe that being a helpful parent and being involved in your child's schooling will make for a great partnership.

James Hurst is a horrible school. The administrators don't care at all about the students! The teachers are miserable which makes the kids miserable. They come home all wound up because they have been sitting in a classroom for 6 hours with no outside time or PE. Children need to get exercise and be allowed to play. The teachers and principal talk horrible to the kids and then wonder why they have behavioral problems. Communication with parents is awful. THE woes school by far!

My 11 year old little girl and my 10 year old son now both attend James Hurst Elementary since April 2,2014. We moved from Suffolk and they were bullied, harassed and extremely lonely. Not only was the staff more than kind and very efficient, within days my children were at peace and happy again.

For those children that continously misbehave, are the teachers communicating with the parents? Are the parents just not responding? Maybe in some cases, but I strongly believe that the teachers aren't communicating with the parents in an effective manner. My experience with this school was that the teachers rarely wanted to communicate. I felt that I was bothering them when I tried to convey my expectations. I had concerns that my son was not grasping the material, my response from the teacher "I don't have time to sit and cater to those that don't get the material. (as she was shaking her head at me) and uh I think he ADHD." This is exactly how she said it to me. This was a highly inappropriate response from a person that is supposed to be professional. Another teacher told me that my son was writing bad to make her angry. Is that a sane thing to say to a parent? Clinically, I would say that she has some issues and needs to speak to someone immediately about possibly getting on some medication. Everything about this school is appalling. The clientele, the teachers, administration. Just bad. Run away if you are thinking of moving to the area. Run fast or homeschool!

Ok see all the bad reports everyone puts up. Now let's get to where the problem start home. Teach your children respect they will most often get it in return, portsmouth and many other cities have the same problem, at what point did parents put all there faith that school was going to raise and teach there child(s) what they need to learn for there future, how to act,right from wrong ect. That parents decided to bring into this world wake up. As a parent one 30,27,24,17,13 and last but not least 6, It's my job to make sure they do learn at home as well as school and behave.so let's see if teachers and all at the school level just had to teach all would be good now right. Takes some responsibility for your children. Has to start somewhere how about home.

This is the worst school ever. Some of the teachers are bullies and liars and they feel like they can say and do whatever they want without consequences. They are disrespectful to parents and the principal is just as bad. She personally told me that she doesn't get paid enough to deal with drama. What are you a principal for? Hate is a very strong word but I HATE this school. The school board needs to do a clean up around that school. Some of the teachers and principal needs to be replaced. I wish I could give this school no stars!!!!

This school is a joke. The teachers there think they can do what ever they want to the students, and get away with it (ie. grabbing, and yelling)... but sadly this is not the case. They will eventually have to pay for their misconduct. I'm taking my child out of there A.S.A.P.. If you are moving to this area, please think twice before enrolling your child in this school. Parents beware. I would rate this school a negatve 0, but I have to rate it at least one start.

My child continues to be assaulted either at this school or on the bus. When a parent tries to bring it to their attention it is simply brushed off. Short of going back to school myself, what do I have to do to make sure my child is safe. Some parents should raise their children better and this sschool really needs to get the safety of students under control. This kind of stuff is what the 5:00pm news is made of. We need to protect our children from bullys and ignorant staff.

In the 100+ days that school has been in session my daughter has been without soy milk a total 6 weeks. It's a medical requirement due to an allergy yet the cafeteria ladies keep giving excuses why they don't have it. Plus my daughter as well as several other children have been assaulted by a male student in their class - Kindergarten - and the principal is doing nothing more then keeping the student in the office. What does a parent have to do to keep his/her child safe in the school? Even the board of education doesn't seem concerned with this, if this is how the schools are run then maybe it's time for a change! I question the principals abilities to run the school and keep our children safe. I've also heard some disturbing things about how the principal feels about extra curricular activities, not to mention the lack of a PTA and the inability to get one formed even though we have people willing to hold each position.

Last modified James Hurst Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.