Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The Staff is horrible and Constantly yelling at the children. They don't notify or incorporate parents like they should.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I am honestly SHOCKED that there are any positive reviews for this school. The 3 out of 10 rating however doesn't surprise me at all. We moved to the area last Fall and John Tyler was the assigned school for my daughter. We were told it was "a great school." The building itself is clean, new, and appears to be nice. The problems lie within the staff, the principal, the teachers, and what the students are allowed to get away with. No parent should have to pay for their child to be in a safe environment, where they have the opportunity to learn and excel, and treated with respect. My daughter was the subject of bullying from day one, in 3rd grade. Bullied, picked on, and made fun of for being nice, for being a good kid. As if it weren't hard enough on her that we moved to a new city and state, where she also attended a public school from kindergarten-2nd grade, and her previous school holding a 9 of 10 rating, these students were ridiculing her on a daily basis. The teacher did nothing about it. The office staff did nothing about it, it got brushed under the rug repeatedly just bc majority of the kids there are bad and out of control. The kids run this school, not the adults, and it is NOT in a good or safe manner. As if those issues weren't enough, my child was not given the learning experience every child needs and deserves. The teacher never sent papers or tests home for me to see her grades/progress. She had easy homework that the class had a whole wk to turn in if they wanted, or longer. They only had spelling tests weekly. The planners/agendas were never written in or checked by the teachers. Very unorganized and poorly directed. There is NO way this is the "best school in the district." We pulled her out after 3 months and had to pay for her to go to a nearby private school just so she would be safe and not made fun of, so she could focus on learning, and so she could be given then education she deserved. It's pitiful that's the route we had to go. DO NOT SEND YOUR KID HERE if you care about their education or their well-being.

I think it is an outstanding school but there are a few things i want to change about it. But other than that it is an amazing school.

I was hesitant to enroll my daughters (in Kinder and 2nd) because of the bad greatschools rating, but I'm so glad I checked out the school in person! There is a very good feeling in the school. Kids all seem happy and excited to be there. The administrators and office staff have been very helpful, and my girls' teachers are fantastic. We have had a very positive experience!

John Tyler is one of the best schools in the district. Our scores are going thru the roof. I am proud to be a John Tyler tiger.

John Tyler Elementary School is one of the best in Portsmouth. The teachers are well educated and nurturing to students and parents. They helping to train our children to be "good citizens". By making education exciting, interesting and challenging the teachers and staff are fostering lifelong learning. Like most public schools in the USA John Tyler is in need of financial and technological resources to stay current and relevant to today's world. I would love to see more partnering with local businesses and organizations to provide volunteer support and other resources to the school.

This school cares about their students! Lucky to have my child attend here. Parent involvement is up to you, If you want to be active there is a lot of space for you! The kids are nice but there are always kids that misbehave, but over all the school is very good!

WHOOPS! I HIT A BUMP, CAUSING ATHE MISSPELLING OF THE WORD "ALTHOUGH" IN MY RANT.... STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONSTANT MISUSE OF PRONOUNS AND ENGLISH AMOUNG ADULTS IN THE UNITED STATES. IF PARENTS CAN NOT SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH, IT IS PASSED DOWN IMPROPERLY THROUGH THE GENERATIONS! I'M JUST AN AVERAGE PARENT THAT HAS A "PET PEEVE" TOWARD ADULTS WHO HAVE LIVED IN THE U.S.A... FOR MANY YEARS, YET REFUSE TO SPEAK IT'S NATIVE LANGUAGE! THIS IS NOT THE COUNTRY YOU IMMAGRATED FROM; SPEAK THE LANGUAGE. I WOULD NEVER GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AND FLAUNT ENGLISH BEHIND OTHERS' BACKS, GOSSIP, ETC. IN A LANGUAGE SOMEONE ASSUMES- ASSUMES-OTHERS DON'T SPEAK FLUENTLY. I DON'T LET PEOPLE KNOW I SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH UNTIL I RESPOND TO A GOSSIPER IN SPANISH. THE LOOK ON THEIR FACE IS PRICELESS!!

My daughter attends this school and I feel that their is too many children in her 4th grade class. There is nearly 28-30 kids in one class with only one teacher. The Math teacher is terrible. I have sent several notes to her regarding my child and it seems as if she just ignores what I tell her.I just can't seen to understand how she's teaching the kids. My daughter comes home so confused about her Math assignments. The Math teacher needs to take some courses herself to learn good methods of teaching 4th graders Math.

The principal at this school tries to stay out of any situation he can. Instead of having an open door policy. The students do not get any recess time in the winter despite having sunny days, there are plenty of excuses in summer as well. One was too many students on the playground another was a student having medical problems. Yet the 2nd graders are expected to stay put like robots during class and during other classes they must attend. They are also expected to do well in their yearly tests, kids need play time to let off steam. P.E. is only held once a week! This will surely bring students medical problems! If students are doing well and can take on more of a challenge they are ignored and made to sit through the brain numbing class. If your child has a disability learning i suppose that will be noticed but if your child can take on more he'll only remain stagnant.

Last modified John Tyler Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.