Portsmouth, VA

Posted April 28, 2014
John Tyler is one of the best schools in the district. Our scores are going thru the roof. I am proud to be a John Tyler tiger.

Posted September 27, 2013
John Tyler Elementary School is one of the best in Portsmouth. The teachers are well educated and nurturing to students and parents. They helping to train our children to be "good citizens". By making education exciting, interesting and challenging the teachers and staff are fostering lifelong learning. Like most public schools in the USA John Tyler is in need of financial and technological resources to stay current and relevant to today's world. I would love to see more partnering with local businesses and organizations to provide volunteer support and other resources to the school.

Posted June 12, 2013
This school cares about their students! Lucky to have my child attend here. Parent involvement is up to you, If you want to be active there is a lot of space for you! The kids are nice but there are always kids that misbehave, but over all the school is very good!

Posted November 15, 2011
WHOOPS! I HIT A BUMP, CAUSING ATHE MISSPELLING OF THE WORD "ALTHOUGH" IN MY RANT.... STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONSTANT MISUSE OF PRONOUNS AND ENGLISH AMOUNG ADULTS IN THE UNITED STATES. IF PARENTS CAN NOT SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH, IT IS PASSED DOWN IMPROPERLY THROUGH THE GENERATIONS! I'M JUST AN AVERAGE PARENT THAT HAS A "PET PEEVE" TOWARD ADULTS WHO HAVE LIVED IN THE U.S.A... FOR MANY YEARS, YET REFUSE TO SPEAK IT'S NATIVE LANGUAGE! THIS IS NOT THE COUNTRY YOU IMMAGRATED FROM; SPEAK THE LANGUAGE. I WOULD NEVER GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AND FLAUNT ENGLISH BEHIND OTHERS' BACKS, GOSSIP, ETC. IN A LANGUAGE SOMEONE ASSUMES- ASSUMES-OTHERS DON'T SPEAK FLUENTLY. I DON'T LET PEOPLE KNOW I SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH UNTIL I RESPOND TO A GOSSIPER IN SPANISH. THE LOOK ON THEIR FACE IS PRICELESS!!

John Tyler Elementary School 2

Posted November 02, 2011
My daughter attends this school and I feel that their is too many children in her 4th grade class. There is nearly 28-30 kids in one class with only one teacher. The Math teacher is terrible. I have sent several notes to her regarding my child and it seems as if she just ignores what I tell her.I just can't seen to understand how she's teaching the kids. My daughter comes home so confused about her Math assignments. The Math teacher needs to take some courses herself to learn good methods of teaching 4th graders Math.

John Tyler Elementary School 3

Posted January 21, 2011
The principal at this school tries to stay out of any situation he can. Instead of having an open door policy. The students do not get any recess time in the winter despite having sunny days, there are plenty of excuses in summer as well. One was too many students on the playground another was a student having medical problems. Yet the 2nd graders are expected to stay put like robots during class and during other classes they must attend. They are also expected to do well in their yearly tests, kids need play time to let off steam. P.E. is only held once a week! This will surely bring students medical problems! If students are doing well and can take on more of a challenge they are ignored and made to sit through the brain numbing class. If your child has a disability learning i suppose that will be noticed but if your child can take on more he'll only remain stagnant.

Posted July 22, 2010
I absolutely love this school! My son was constantly in trouble at his previous b/c his teacher and adminatrators did not understand or care to find solutions with his ADHD. His 1st Grade teacher at John Tyler went above and beyond to help him learn in a way that worked for him. He is reading at a 5th grade level now and has honor roll every 9 week period. He become where he loved go to school instead of dreading it. I look forward to my son future years at John Tyler

John Tyler Elementary School 2

Posted October 21, 2009
My son is in kindergarden at this school and I am so unhappy. At my son's pre-k school, he read way above level and they never had any discipline problems out of him. His pre-K school put a note on his file stating how well he reads and also to keep him challenged. This is the 2nd month of school and they still are not challenging him and he is constantly on color change. This bothers me as a parent because I know my sons abilities and when a child isn't challenged they get bored and they get in trouble. I have went as far as contacting the principal and he promised me they would challenge him, but I needed to understand that the classroom was very crowded and they would do the best they could do. There are 31 students in my sons class with 2 teachers.

Posted September 05, 2009

Posted May 20, 2009
I have 3 kids in this school 6th grade, 4th grade and k. I love this school and the admid. however i do not like the fact that we were rezoned last yr. my k student has 26 kids in her class and my 4th grader has 25 and when you have that many kids in one class the kids suffer. My 4th grader scored a perfect on his social studies sol last yr and my 6th grader scored a perfect on her reading sol last yr besides over crowding i really love this school

John Tyler Elementary School
3649 Hartford St, Portsmouth, VA  23707
Last modified John Tyler Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Tyler Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top