Portsmouth, VA
Students enrolled: 1,375

Posted August 18, 2014
If we had our choice, we would pick another school. They say a first impression is a lasting impression....well the first impression we received from this school was the registration lady telling us they were closing in 10 minutes and then giving us total attitude that we interrupted her cell phone call and attempt to leave on time. Now we get no calls back from them and am trying to appeal to the principal for any assistance. If you are not required to go here, please try another high school! I hope things get better for us as we are zoned here and have no other choice.

Woodrow Wilson High School 4

Posted March 18, 2012
The school is what you make of it. My children graduated from Wilson. My son did not work to the best of his ability and had to repeat 12th grade English. Ironically, that English teacher remains one of his most favorites and second time around, he committed to learn. My daughter are over achievers. One daughter was Valedictorian and graduated from William and Mary magna cum laude. She's in grad school now and still achieving top honors. The base she received from Wilson is part of the foundation the wanted her to succeed. My youngest daughter struggled in elementary school; nearly failing first grade. She worked her butt off, graduated fourth in her class and is on the President's list in College. (president's list is higher than dean's list) Yes, the best teachers are in the AP classes or the honors classes, but that is going to be true in nearly every school. Parents have to be involved in their children's education and it doesn't stop after elementary school. Discipline is a must. And the student must be willing to work. No one ever said it was fair or no work, to succeed in school. Wilson gets a bad rep from the few who choose to disobey and generally not care

Posted April 11, 2011
This school is horrible. Academically it one of the worst in the state, not an opinion but a fact. The drop-out rate is also the worst at over 50%. The teachers just do not simply care and the 12th grade govt. class is just as easy as the one in the fourth grade. The only classes that are any challenging are the AP Bio, AP English, and Global Affairs classes. The sports teams are horrible and ironically most funding is spent on the sports. The walls are made of cheap sheet metal because when the school was first built they thought it would be smart to not have any walls at all. Half of the elective classes are just repeated classes with different names or named in a way to make the school seem more intelligible. The students are probably the worst part since they never obey teachers and act like children, constantly running to every fight and jumping on lockers. Proof of this is last year when a student brought a gun to school, only made worse by how poorly the adminstrators handled it. The only redeemable aspect of the school is the size makes it less intimidating to freshmen.

Woodrow Wilson High School 4

Posted January 06, 2010
I graduated from WWHS in June of 2009 and have taken every honor level class the school has to offer includeing being a participant in the International Studies Magnet program housed in the building. In my 4 years there I have noticed the problem is the students. It is very hard to try and teach when you are babysitting the entire block. All the teachers are highly educated and more than willing to help any student if the student meets them halfway. I have seen teachers leave after 1 year of being there because the students namely freshman have no respect for anyone. I left Wilson High with a 3.0 G.P.A, Magnet Completion, Honor Status, The Governer's Civic Seal of Excellence, over 10 grand in grant money and 23 college credits. It is not a bad school no matter what anyone says.

Posted October 03, 2008

Posted September 16, 2008
I am a former student of WWHS. I attended from 2007-2008. I was deeply involved in the ROTC program, and loved every bit of it. This school is not as bad as people make it out to be. Few problems here and there, but thats going to be anywhere you go. I am sad to say i had to leave before i would've wished, but i will not forget this school, nor the people i knew.

Woodrow Wilson High School 0

Posted July 30, 2008
i am attending my senior year at wilson and i don't see anything wrong with the school except maybe some discipline problems but you only see that with freshman. overall it is a nice school. and the new gym looks great

Posted July 20, 2008

Posted April 16, 2008
The ROTC at this school is the best ever. And the teachers care for the students.

Posted September 19, 2006

Woodrow Wilson High School
1401 Elmhurst Ln, Portsmouth, VA  23701
Last modified Woodrow Wilson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodrow Wilson High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top