Portsmouth, VA

Churchland Academy Elementary 3

Posted April 23, 2014
My son will be transitioning from another school to Churcland Academy Elementary and I expect that any teacher my child has will have an agenda to focus on the best interest of all of his/her students. I expect the teachers to be motivating, and able to help encourage their students to use their talents and intelligence. At no time will I tolerate my child being put down or discouraged. I expect my childs teachers and Principal to be willing to communicate with me because it's my responsibility to ask questions so that I have an idea of how my child is performing and what I can do to promote academic growth. I am the parent that knows all of the children are excellent and have the potential to excel with the right tools and the right instruction and support. I am looking forward and expect an exeption school year 2014. Let's see if my rating increases...it's all up to you Churchland Academy Elementary Instructors and Administrators.

Posted February 10, 2014
I have had continuous issues with this school, and I am so saddened by the teachers every year. My daughter was able to attend Western Branch Intermediate for a year, and loved it. We had to move and was zoned for CAE again, I am considering private school at this point. The back and forth, with the administration and teachers, the lack of communication, no one ever knows whats going on. I guess if you are looking for quality education this isn't going to be your cup of tea, but if you just want a babysitter while you are at work by all means enroll today!

Churchland Academy Elementary 4

Posted July 09, 2010
Both of my children attended this school on a zone change waiver. We love this school. They have a lot of extra activities for kids that the other school don't have, like, band and choir. They provide after school tutoring for those that need it. My daughter took a field trip to DC this year. The school and its staff are excellent. I read all the comments posted here and the school that they are talking about back in 2006, is just not the same school. There have been so many positive changes in this school, and my children have been loving it for the past 2 years!

Churchland Academy Elementary

Posted March 25, 2010
I have two children who currently attend Churchland Academy Elementary School and I must say I am very pleased. The teachers are very supportive, outgoing and are definately team players. I recommend this school to anyone. Both of my children love the staff.

Churchland Academy Elementary 3

Posted August 28, 2006
My son is a typical playful six year old. Each reporting period his report card indicated that he was progressing but at the end of the year his teacher stated that my son needed to repeat Kindergarten because he did'nt do well on the SOL test. I was'nt very happy about that because his teacher gave me the impression all year that he had been improving until the test results. Have teachers at this school been reduced to worrying about SOL test results instead of educating our children.

Churchland Academy Elementary 2

Posted August 24, 2006
For 4 years we fought to get my son a good education from this school. My son was diagnosed with Dysgraphia and Dyslexia by Doctors who specialize in this field. The principal and his/her staff discredited the doctors every chance the got. We ended up moving out of the Portsmouth School District to another Hampton Roads School district in hopes he will get the attention he needs to truly succeed. If you are considering sending your kids to this school, especially if thy have ADD, ADHD or some other learning disability I would think again.

Posted June 05, 2006
My child has attended Churchland Academy for three years and every year there has been some battle to wage to ensure the teachers were involved with my child's education. He was once transferred (shuffled would be a better term) from one teacher to another with no turnover on his strengths or weaknesses. During a parent teacher conference one teacher, could not comment on my son's progress because her records were so bad. So, needless to say I am very unhappy with the quality of this school, and its leadership. The teaching and leadership is concentated on one thing, improving the schools scores on the SOL. Meaning, here is last year's test, go home and study it. There are no extracuriculiar studies program, the staff is rude, especially if you are white, and the middle school is no better. Portsmouth needs to fix the disparity between the elementary schools in Churchland.

Churchland Academy Elementary 2

Posted August 14, 2005
My kids transferred to this school last year from Churchland Elementary. It was a BIG change. I really wish I wouldn't have moved and right now I'm considering moving just so my kids can go to a better school.

Churchland Academy Elementary 4

Posted October 22, 2004
My son has really excelled since he has been at this school. He orginally started out in Virginia Beach, but was never given the credit that was due for his work. This year he is in the 5th grade and his teacher Ms. Fitzpatrick has been able to do wonderful things to futher encourage his learning abilities.

Posted September 19, 2004
The two years my child attended Churchland Academy Elementary, it was on academic probation. Unfortunately the majority of office is rude! They're idea of customer service is 'What do you want!?' after standing at the desk for 10 mins. This was anytime I or parents I knew needed something. I was glad we were moving and transferring my daughter out of that school and they made the paperwork difficult to get. The rest of the office are guilty by simply looking away when this disrespect happens to parents and children. They have an attitude like a parent is a nuisance. I did attempt to speak to the principal and I was told she was always not available.

Churchland Academy Elementary
4061 River Shore Rd, Portsmouth, VA  23703
Last modified Churchland Academy Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Churchland Academy Elementary Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top