No rating

Portsmouth Catholic Regional School

Private | PK-8 | 163 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Portsmouth

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted August 18, 2014

My daughter has been at PCRS for 4 years, and every year we fall more and more in love it with it!

Posted February 16, 2014

We love Portsmouth Catholic Regional School. We've been there for 7 years now. Started in their Pre-k program and we will stay through 8th grade. The family environment is great, but the learning environment is so much better. Technology is integrated into every lesson through use of Smartboards in every classroom. There is Art, Technology, Physical Education, Science, Religion, Spanish, Reading, Writing, Word Study, Social Studies and Math. Every grade, including the Pre-k 3 and 4 programs experience every class. There is no teaching to the test at PCRS. At PCRS, your student is taught to their individual needs. Yes, we are a Catholic school, but ALL faiths are eligible for enrollment and ALL faiths pay the same tuition rate. If you are in Suffolk, Western Branch or Portsmouth and want a great school. I recommend coming to check out PCRS. You won't be disappointed! Tours are given year round.

Posted January 5, 2012

This is a school that cares about academics and the students. Both our sons have had challenges and the staff has done a lot to help us work through them. They also helped identify where the public school had services we could apply to get. The curriculum is challenging to each grade level and they added a course this year for advanced math students in 6th grade (7th and 8th grade classes were too small to differentiate). They have SMART boards in all classes and the technology lab is first rate. They make non-Catholics feel welcome. They encourage parent involvement in the class, in the PTA and other orgs, at mass, and school activities where it isn't disruptive to the curriculum.

Posted March 17, 2010

I am so happy with my kindergartener's progress in this full day school that has K-8 all in one location! I loved the small school friendliness and class sizes but there were so many surprises for me this year, like the SMART Boards in every room, a technology room full of new mac computers, Spanish classes starting in K, a Buddy system that paired my daughter with an Eighth grader who helps her read books and says hi to her in the hallway! My daughter always points her out to me and I can tell she has a roll model who inspires her :) The parents are very involved and being allowed to visit my daughter's class anytime and volunteer is such a breath of fresh air from the lock-down-and-teach-to-a-test environment of a public school. I am so happy she is learning in a very dynamic environment that welcomes all spirituallity!

Posted January 8, 2010

I agree with the previous post! My students have been at PCRS for several years now and I am very pleased with their growth and knowledge in all subject areas. This school has a family like atmosphere that is very welcoming! This begins with the office staff and continues in each classroom! I love seeing that the teachers do not only know the children in their class but they know many of the students who are in the whole school. Thank you PCRS faculty for all that you do for our children!

Posted October 8, 2009

Great school, wonderful and loving staff!

Posted June 6, 2006

This is a tremendous school! Class sizes are small. Faculty are superb. Academics are first rate & rigorous. Any special needs of the individual child are supported while maintaining the overall high academic standards. Close knit family atmosphere is prevalent. Family volunteer hours are required. This facilitates the family atmosphere and excellant communiction between parents, administrators, faculty and school board. High amount of parent involvement is prevalent & welcomed. A regional Catholic school of the Richmond diocese, Portsmouth Catholic reflects its identity and provides a strong spiritual as well as academic environment for the child. Non-catholics as well feel comfortable & welcome in the environment. This review is based upon 3 years experience with the school. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to anyone. Should we be stationed in the area again we will return to this school.

Posted May 24, 2006

By far, this is the worst school my children have ever attended. While there are some good teachers, there are others that totally lack professional qualities. They don't teach, just read out of the book, assign work that they don't go over or check, can't/won't answer questions, and punish the entire class for the actions of a few. I was initially impressed with the administration and parental involvement associated with this school. I do not feel that this school delivers what it promises, a good quality education. I really feel like I wasted my money, and even worse, set my kids back by sending them here. My kids agree.

Posted January 11, 2006

What a great year! My kids are new to this school transferring in from another private school in the area. I must say that they have felt welcomed in the school commmunity and so have we the parents. It is a great school! Although they have one sport at this time that sport includes everyone who wants to participate and is a great family activity. It has been a great experience for my children and our family. The school is well run, the teachers are dedicated to the subject area and the warmth and love is felt throughout! Thank you Portsmouth Catholic for welcoming us to your school!

Posted September 8, 2005

What a great school! I have read all of the reviews and yes I read the one about past history and researching the school...I did! What a wonderful environment, dedicated professionals and caring families are involved in this establishment! Every school has it's ups and downs with changes in staff as well as administration. I have been involved with the school since last spring and my 2 children are so happy and want to go to school. I as a single parent am very pleased with what the school has to offer. God Bless those who dedicate their lives to educating our children and helping our families.

Posted August 12, 2005

I am astonished by some of the overly glowing views expressed regarding this school. There may be some parents and teachers who are caring and passionate about education at PCES, but Don't be misguided; research this school's recent history thoroughly before sending your child(ren).
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 16, 2005

It is obvious that there are some on this reply site that are focusing a personal disagreement and throwing in the towel on what is a very good school. We have had a great year with our three children in 2d,7th,and 8th grade. This is a great school and a great community and there are many dedicated parents and teachers that are working hard and have made this a wonderful experience. Every school needs maximum parental involvement and this school is no exception. I will be returning next year despite increase travel problems with my new high schooler next year. I would and have recommended this fine school to many others. I believe in the parents and teachers which are very passionate about our school (community). I hope to see who ever is reading this at our school next year.

Posted June 16, 2005

This school has been a joy. All of our childre had a great year and the parents and teachers are all very dedicated to the school and the children.

Posted June 16, 2005

This school is outstanding and a breath of fresh air after our experience with public schools the previous three years. This is a very loving and caring atmosphere from both the parents and teachers. The parental involvement is high and encouraged. There is a true community amoung the children and the parents. I recommend this school to anyone k4-8th grade childre. Hope to see you there next year.

Posted June 12, 2005

I am appalled by the inconsistent discipline, the unapproachability of the administration, the laxity and unprofessionalism of the teachers (with a few exceptions) and the poor academic quality. For example, this year, the 3rd grade never went beyond the 9 times tables even though they must know all the tables through 12 by the time they enter 4th grade. The 8th grade science class never learned any of the topics listed on the curriculum for the last 9 weeks of the school year (1 quarter of the material) for which they will be responsible when they enter high school in the fall. Along with 20 per cent of the student body, my children have left and will attend much better schools closer to home next year.

Posted June 10, 2005

Goodness goodness sounds like some sour grapes and a few negative comments here! I am a very very satisfied parent. Great school. New administrator for the past few years is making great improvements. Discipline problems are handled in an appropriate manner. I am in military and have been involved with many schools. This is the best! Administration was lax and inconsistent for many years. That has all changed. I am a true believer that if you are not happy you should go elsewhere. Everyone is not happy with all situations. Our family is extremely happy. Great great school. I would highly recommend!

Posted June 4, 2005

Our child attended PCES for four years(2nd-5th). Each year got worse and worse. Children that acted out of control were hardly ever disciplined. The disruption in his class was so bad that instruction time was lost everyday, yes, everyday! Teachers were brought to tears, I'm talking overturning desks, backtalking teachers/adults, foodfights, physical threats etc.). When the rules were inforced (inconsistantly I might add), the children that obeyed the rules were punished along with the kids that broke the rules..duh! I approached the principal with the matter and nothing was done. We left. I DO NOT reccomend this school to anyone (especially if your child is going to enter the 7th grade next year). The administration doesn't care..it's all about the money. If the Ports. City School system wasn't so bad, I don't think PCES would be in operation. Save your time and money, go somewhere else, you'll be glad you did.

Posted June 1, 2005

For those of us who have rolled up our sleeves and 'over pitched in' for decades of our children attending, we are leaving for good reason. Multi-generaltional families are leaving.....Just realize there are larger problems than what are being discussed here and fix the problem!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 9, 2005

My experience at Portsmouth Catholic has been positive, rewarding and beneficial for my three children. The teachers are caring, responsive, dedicated and well-trained. It takes a village to raise a child and each child owns a piece of their teachers' hearts. Whenever my children are in school, I have no doubts that they are safe, being well-educated and nurtured. This school has so much to offer. It recognizes the importance of a strong teacher-parent-child relationship. Together we are strong and can make great learning and wonderful lasting memomories happen for our children. No school is perfect certainly. But PCES is as good as it gets! Seek out the good and the positive. You will see many examples of teachers, students, parents trying very hard to follow the example of their Master Teacher, Jesus. Isn't that what it is all about?

Posted May 5, 2005

I have children at PCES. The teachers are fantastic! I think participation by parents as volunteers is key to making any school successful. For those who are complaining on this forum, I would recommend rolling up your sleeves and pitching in!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mary Ellen Paul
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Access to sports fields
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Richmond

• Graphics
  • Video / Film production

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom