Posted September 03, 2014
Excellent school ... academically and socially. My child is challenged and loves to go to school. I can't ask for anything else ...

Posted February 16, 2014
We love Portsmouth Catholic Regional School. We've been there for 7 years now. Started in their Pre-k program and we will stay through 8th grade. The family environment is great, but the learning environment is so much better. Technology is integrated into every lesson through use of Smartboards in every classroom. There is Art, Technology, Physical Education, Science, Religion, Spanish, Reading, Writing, Word Study, Social Studies and Math. Every grade, including the Pre-k 3 and 4 programs experience every class. There is no teaching to the test at PCRS. At PCRS, your student is taught to their individual needs. Yes, we are a Catholic school, but ALL faiths are eligible for enrollment and ALL faiths pay the same tuition rate. If you are in Suffolk, Western Branch or Portsmouth and want a great school. I recommend coming to check out PCRS. You won't be disappointed! Tours are given year round.

Posted January 05, 2012
This is a school that cares about academics and the students. Both our sons have had challenges and the staff has done a lot to help us work through them. They also helped identify where the public school had services we could apply to get. The curriculum is challenging to each grade level and they added a course this year for advanced math students in 6th grade (7th and 8th grade classes were too small to differentiate). They have SMART boards in all classes and the technology lab is first rate. They make non-Catholics feel welcome. They encourage parent involvement in the class, in the PTA and other orgs, at mass, and school activities where it isn't disruptive to the curriculum.

Posted March 17, 2010
I am so happy with my kindergartener's progress in this full day school that has K-8 all in one location! I loved the small school friendliness and class sizes but there were so many surprises for me this year, like the SMART Boards in every room, a technology room full of new mac computers, Spanish classes starting in K, a Buddy system that paired my daughter with an Eighth grader who helps her read books and says hi to her in the hallway! My daughter always points her out to me and I can tell she has a roll model who inspires her :) The parents are very involved and being allowed to visit my daughter's class anytime and volunteer is such a breath of fresh air from the lock-down-and-teach-to-a-test environment of a public school. I am so happy she is learning in a very dynamic environment that welcomes all spirituallity!

Posted January 08, 2010
I agree with the previous post! My students have been at PCRS for several years now and I am very pleased with their growth and knowledge in all subject areas. This school has a family like atmosphere that is very welcoming! This begins with the office staff and continues in each classroom! I love seeing that the teachers do not only know the children in their class but they know many of the students who are in the whole school. Thank you PCRS faculty for all that you do for our children!

Portsmouth Catholic Regional School

Posted October 08, 2009
Great school, wonderful and loving staff!

Posted June 06, 2006
This is a tremendous school! Class sizes are small. Faculty are superb. Academics are first rate & rigorous. Any special needs of the individual child are supported while maintaining the overall high academic standards. Close knit family atmosphere is prevalent. Family volunteer hours are required. This facilitates the family atmosphere and excellant communiction between parents, administrators, faculty and school board. High amount of parent involvement is prevalent & welcomed. A regional Catholic school of the Richmond diocese, Portsmouth Catholic reflects its identity and provides a strong spiritual as well as academic environment for the child. Non-catholics as well feel comfortable & welcome in the environment. This review is based upon 3 years experience with the school. I would not hesitate to recommend this school to anyone. Should we be stationed in the area again we will return to this school.

Portsmouth Catholic Regional School 2

Posted May 24, 2006
By far, this is the worst school my children have ever attended. While there are some good teachers, there are others that totally lack professional qualities. They don't teach, just read out of the book, assign work that they don't go over or check, can't/won't answer questions, and punish the entire class for the actions of a few. I was initially impressed with the administration and parental involvement associated with this school. I do not feel that this school delivers what it promises, a good quality education. I really feel like I wasted my money, and even worse, set my kids back by sending them here. My kids agree.

Posted January 11, 2006
What a great year! My kids are new to this school transferring in from another private school in the area. I must say that they have felt welcomed in the school commmunity and so have we the parents. It is a great school! Although they have one sport at this time that sport includes everyone who wants to participate and is a great family activity. It has been a great experience for my children and our family. The school is well run, the teachers are dedicated to the subject area and the warmth and love is felt throughout! Thank you Portsmouth Catholic for welcoming us to your school!

Posted September 08, 2005
What a great school! I have read all of the reviews and yes I read the one about past history and researching the school...I did! What a wonderful environment, dedicated professionals and caring families are involved in this establishment! Every school has it's ups and downs with changes in staff as well as administration. I have been involved with the school since last spring and my 2 children are so happy and want to go to school. I as a single parent am very pleased with what the school has to offer. God Bless those who dedicate their lives to educating our children and helping our families.

Portsmouth Catholic Regional School
2301 Oregon Avenue, Portsmouth, VA  23701
Last modified Portsmouth Catholic Regional School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Portsmouth Catholic Regional School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top