No rating

Court Street Academy

Private | PK-8 | 125 students

Living in Portsmouth

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $101,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted July 30, 2012

Court Street is a good school. It in no way deserves a one-star review. Both of my children attended for several years and in general we were very happy with our experience there. The lower grade levels were excellent and well taught. However, the middle grades have seen a great deal of turnover in the last couple of years and it definitely affected the quality of the education my children received. There was a teacher that had a problem with being absent and there were frequently subs in my daughter's class. That teacher is no longer with the school. The staff is very nice, the school is affordable and there is an emphasis on Christian principles without religion being force-fed. Definitely worth considering if you are looking for a good alternative to Portsmouth's public schools.

Posted August 20, 2011

If you look at the overall rating and read ALL of the comments, CSA is overwhelmingly looked at as an affordable,quality alternative to public education. I taught for five years in the Portsmouth Public Schools and enjoyed virtually every minute of it. It was not perfect and presented daily challenges. Great teachers welcome those challenges! When I had the opportunity to work for CSA, it was difficult making the decision to leave public schools. I am proud to be part of an extremely dedicated, highly qualified staff. We are working on updating some curriculum where needed, and I can assure you we ALWAYS address behavioral problems with the minimum corrective action to correct the problem and the patience to watch for improvement. Chapel is held every Friday and each class takes turns reciting the Lord's Prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, leading in the singing of the national anthem and the closing prayer. Sounds like a school with a four star rating to me!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 17, 2011

Court Street acadamy is a great school, they have the best teachers who look for you child best intests and because the classes are small yolu child gets the full atention.My girls have been going for 2 years now and I just love the friendly people.

Posted June 26, 2011

I highly recommend Court Street Academy. The teachers are caring and dedicated and work hard to make meaningful connections with each child. The children are made to feel special and the teachers try to challenge each one to reach his/her own potential. Last spring there was an amazing end-of-year program where each child was recognized with a STAR - telling the outstanding qualities that made him or her special. Graduates of Court Street Academy often come back to brag about their successes and to give the credit to the start they were given at CSA!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 22, 2011

CSA is a wonderful school. The below comment is disturbing. I attended CSA as well as other family members and friends and everyone agrees what a great stepping stone CSA has been in their lives. You get a wonderful education as well as reinforcing good character. The books are updated and the tests are always reviewed. I have done my research and had no problem getting answers. The teachers are well qualified and caring as well as the office staff. Their credentials are not hidden, PLEASE check them out. Many of the teachers at CSA have been there for over Twenty or Thirty years! A few of them did retire in the last few years, but several remain. If your experience was not satisfactory, that is fine, but no need to be vindictive. This is not a new, inexperienced institution, it has been going strong for years and years to provide a quality education in a safe and God loving environment. No school is perfect that is why the staff and parents need to work together for the common good of our children. I am sincere in recommmending this school. I have nothing to gain in writing this glowing review, but am simply speaking from my heart as a parent and a former student.

Posted June 20, 2011

This school and its curriculum are outdated at best. They have a problem keeping staff and will hire anyone (qualified or not) just to fill a seat. If you have a problem (like we did) your concerns will not only go unheard, you will be yelled at by the powers that be and told "that's the way it is because we keep cost low". I find this school totally unacceptable - you get what you pay for. Ask to see the Teacher's credentials, check the year of their standardized test (it s 25 years old), check into their substitute teacher's list, don't trust anything they say! Anyone at that school can write a positive review on Great Schools so you should take any glowing review with great skepticism!!

Posted June 18, 2011

Court Street Academy is blessed with a caring staff and administration. It is unfortunate that one or two disgruntled persons can diminish what the staff has done for what amounts to volunteer work. Poll previous students and you will find that the significant majority loved their time at Court Street and the staff and adminsitration have done wonders with the resources available to them. Their efforts to maintain an affordable education should not be tarnished

Posted June 9, 2011

My children attends CSA and I am very pleased. We have had a pleasant experience. The teacher and staff there are commendable for doing such a wonderful job. The CSA staff is very nuturing to my children.

Posted June 7, 2011

We have two children at Court Street Academy and are quite pleased. The atmosphere is friendly and warm and our children feel very loved. The teachers really care about every child and do their best to bring out the best in each one. We are thankful for this school. Submitted by a parent Write your own review

Posted June 5, 2011

We would recommend this school fully. I am involved parent and was completely satisfied with the education that my children received. My children's books were of the latest editions. When there was an issue, the teachers and administration were right on top of it. The school encourages current and potential parents to visit at anytime, which speaks volumes. There is a no tolerence policy for any bullying at anytime and we have seen it in action. Would encourage anyone to send their chilren here, excellent!!

Posted June 3, 2011

This school is fr ustrating to say the least. Some of the teachers are wonderful but there are a few that have no business teaching anyone. If you have a problem you might as well keep it to yourself, no one cares and it will not be addressed. We have pulled our children out and will tell anyone who will listen to stay away from this school.

Posted January 1, 2011

Please consider Court Street Academy for your child. You will not find a more warm and caring staff. The teachers are so in tuned to your childs individual needs. The administrative staff is wonderful and keeps you informed of everything that is going on.

Posted February 28, 2010

After a very disappoint year in public school, I opted to place both of my children in Court Street Academy. I couldn't be happier! After struggling w/ boredom, behavior issues, minimal focus on anything but SOL preps in public school, my daughter has blossomed into a very confident, focused child. I love the emphasis on the basics--reading, writing and arithmetic. Children are encouraged to make good choices; there is always positive reinforcement. Great communication w/ the teachers--kind, caring environment. Yes, the building is dated, but the rooms are wonderfully inviting for children. This is a great option for parents who are fed up w/ public school but don't want the full 'church school' experience--this is a very good balance of a traditional education coupled w/ religion. Signed--parent of two at Court Street.

Posted October 3, 2009

the kind of school I wish my grandchildren could get accepted at ....as it stands we are working on openings at the moment

Posted October 1, 2009

My child is in the K-5 class this year. Class size is large for a private school (24:1). There is no set curriculum being used and the workbooks are for age group 4-5. The Principal does not properly discipline children who have repeated behavioral problems. The upper grades have very few students and it appears that the lower grades are overcrowded to generate income. I am not certain I will keep my daughter at this school next year.

Posted September 16, 2009

My daughter is in her fourth year there, and absolutely loves it. Classroom size is optimal and there is a very 'close' feeling about it.

Posted November 25, 2008

I'm a former student of this school, having attended from 1st-8th. From there, I went to public high school and found I was extremely prepared for the workload at a public school. I found myself to be more prepared than most of the other students. I now teach in the Portsmouth Public School system. The quality of education offered at CSA is way ahead of what is offered in the public school system. The teachers focus on mastery instead of how to guess on the SOLs. I'd highly recommend CSA. It could use some updated texts and computers, but overall, it's a chance for a quality education at a lower price than other private schools.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 10, 2008

My daughter entered this school midway throught the year, and though I expected her to have some difficulty transitioning from homeschool back into a classroom, the teacher was phenomenal in helping her to feel at ease, and included. The class size was small, (only 11) and so the individualized learning/teaching was much more than we had experienced, (other than homeschool). My daughter excelled, and learned a new love for learning... she realized that she IS good at math... she just wraps her mind around it differently (and here she is allowed to explore that option). She discovered History for the first time, becoming an avid reader for information, not just because of the assignment. As a result, my daughter joined the top ranks of the school, and finished the year an Honor Roll Student! We observed this transition in her early, so registered her for next year. Great Learning Specialists!

Posted March 3, 2008

The school has a lot of potential, but the administration is outdated. They desperately need to move into the current century and add computers. Textbooks need to be updated regularly.

Posted February 17, 2008

My child has attended CSA for 3 1/2 years. I have always enjoyed the family-like atmosphere of CSA. The teachers are absolutely phenomenal; very caring and dedicated to each child in their class. Discipline does seem to be lacking. My child has been physically abused by other students with little to no consequences. The administrator does not back up his teachers nor enforce school rules. The books are very outdated. I am uncertain the quality of the education my child is receiving and am currently looking for other alternatives.

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Baptist
Associations
  • SBACS

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

447 Court Street